Worth it Disneyland or Universal

alejorubi

Good afternoon.  We are arriving the 12 of May to LA in the evening and our international flight departs on the 13 at 20:25.  Is it worth it to go to Disneyland or Universal on the 13th? (we'll have to leave the park arpund 16:30).

Thanks in advance for your advise

Not sure how we can say it will be worth it for you to do either of these. First, we don't know you. We don't know if you have kids traveling with you, which would definitely impact "worth". 

You say you are arriving the evening of May 12th. By plane into LAX, I assume? If so, Universal Studios is far closer, (making that 4:30 departure form the park far more flexible...I wouldn't probably leave before 6pm) as compared to Disney, and is smaller, thus allowing for a more enjoyable visit.

Worth it is sort of up to you-- you wouldn't have much time in either one. Universal is a bit closer to LAX so that would be a plus and its a lot smaller than Disneyland. Currently some of their big rides are closed (Jurassic Park boat ride) but you would be able to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Disneyland you would have the opposite problem-- far too much to do to even put a dent in over a few hours. There are two theme parks there so you would have to pick one and move quickly to get anything done in that amount of time. Its also much further from LAX so you would have to be much more conservative on judging traffic when deciding to leave than you would at Universal. 

With either option you would need to stay at an onsite property to have it make any bit of sense and save time getting to and from the parks. Even though I'm a bigger fan of Disneyland I would most likely opt for Universal in this scenario to give yourself even the slightest chance of seeing enough to make it worth it. 

I'm a SoCal native, so my view is a bit screwed. Disneyland is extremely expensive and is so crowded you'll be standing in line most of the time. No real info about Universal. 

What might be a good compromise for you would be to take a studio tour. My particular favorite is Warner Bros as the tours are smaller and they take you on a golf cart through the various sets and backlot. Sony Pictures Studios (formerly the MGM lot) offers a not as comprehensive but very historic walking tour. I believe Paramount also offers one as well that I have not been on. 

Tours at Warner Bros last from 3.5 hours and I think the deluxe one is over 5 hours and includes lunch. Could fit into your day better than a theme park and you wont run the risk of getting stuck waiting in line for a bunch of attractions. 

I'm not a local but have visited both parks and the area many times.  I would avoid Disneyland.  It's to expensive and crowded.  I might consider CA Adventure but again it's expensive.  There is Downtown Disney that has a few things to do (The Void is very cool) some nice bars and restaurants and is free.  

I like Universal if you must do a theme park.  But, outside the park is City Walk.  It's been awhile since I have been there.  But again nice bars, restaurants, movie theater, shops and no admission charge.

Again, a lot depends on your demographics and where you are staying the night before you leave.     

Either is fine. Personally, other than Harry Potter (WWOHP), Universal bores me to tears. By contrast, I love Disney. Is it worth it is a judgment call for you. The expense is relative. It isn't a bad value if you have a full day there. It gets crowds, yes, but that is because it is popular. With good planning and MaxPass it is very manageable.

I have been to Disneyland, California Adventure, and Universal within the past 3 years. Universal is much closer to LAX, and the shows are great, but many of the rides are virtual with screens, and caused my DH and I severe motion sickness (we usually don't have that issue on anything else).  For the time frame you have, I would still recommend it, as long as you are into the shows and/or don't get motion sickness.  Harry Potter world was fun to walk around for a few hours too. The studio tour there was also great, but we did wait in a pretty long line to do it. 

Disneyland and California Adventure are much better for rides, but it is further away from LAX and will be crowded.  As adults, we much preferred California Adventure. We had a similar time frame when we went, and still were able to do the car racing ride in Cars Land, the California Screamin' roller coaster, the raging rapids (best one I had ever been on by far!), and the ferris wheel (get a swinging gondola....it was the most fun I ever had on a ferris wheel!).