Lots of handheld camera use on cruises--who else uses drones?

I love flying my drone when I'm home. For when I travel--it's an awesome way to get a different angle during those shore excursions. Just be mindful of local laws and weather and flying over people.

After my cruise last week, I earned more countries on my DJI footprints!

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 3.56.04 PM.png

As you mention local laws,...

Australia is introducing a pilot licensing scheme and drone registration from July. Will apply to drones over 250gms (about 1/2 pound), commercial or recreational.

https://ia.acs.org.au/article/2019/you-ll-need-a-drone-licence-from-july.html

Edited by Docker123

1 minute ago, Docker123 said:

Australia is introducing a pilot licensing scheme and drone registration from July. Will apply to drones over 250gms (about 1/2 pound), commercial or recreational.

The US has drone registration, as well, for the drones (pretty much DJI Spark and heavier). For those traveling to Australia, I wonder what tourist requirements will be.

3 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

And you have to do an online course, about time in my opinion.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, 

I am new to the forum so I apologize if I am supposed to be asking this question somewhere else.  I am an avid drone user and am going on the Norwegian Breakaway to the Western Caribbean at the end of this month.  I wanted to bring my Mavic Air but someone told me that they don't allow drones on the ship and will confiscate it.  Obviously you can't fly it on the ship or anywhere around the ship but I can't believe I am not allowed to bring it for the ports.  Does anyone have experience with this problem?

25 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

In addition to being prohibited by the cruise line you would need to check the laws of each country you are visiting.

Absolutely. Check the areas you want to fly in to be sure that you can legally in that country. But it sounds like it might be a non starter, if NCL won't allow that on board.

I just had a bad experience with Oceania in relation to carrying an RPA (drone). We were planning a trip to UK and other places, ending with a cruise to Iceland etc. We always carry the Mavic with us when we travel as i enjoy the images and video it produces, so much more than can be captured on the ground. I was very surprised when doing research that Oceania have a similar clause in their prohibited items list to that above for NCL (owned by the same people). As the RPA will form part of our luggage I thought I would do the right thing and contact the company to let them know what would be in my luggage. i was met with a stone wall, they just kept quoting the list, no attempts to help, no attempts to offer alternatives or to assist with my problem in any way. They could not understand that this would be in our luggage and as we are on the other side of the world I could not offload it anywhere. i offered all the usual stuff such as assurances it would not be used on board or in port, i was happy to surrender it to the crew provided I could get it back on leaving the ship. I even wrote to their CEO trying to get a considered response. No luck at all and consequently we won't be doing the cruise. They (all the lines, except RCL etc as they have a more enlightened policy) need to get into the 21st century and stop interfering in stuff they have no business in. The RPA in its bag is just a piece of luggage and no threat to anyone. We are extremely disappointed in what has happened, more so that Oceania prides and promotes itself on customer service when obviously there is little real commitment.. 

11 hours ago, twang1711 said:

I just had a bad experience with Oceania in relation to carrying an RPA (drone). We were planning a trip to UK and other places, ending with a cruise to Iceland etc. We always carry the Mavic with us when we travel as i enjoy the images and video it produces, so much more than can be captured on the ground. I was very surprised when doing research that Oceania have a similar clause in their prohibited items list to that above for NCL (owned by the same people). As the RPA will form part of our luggage I thought I would do the right thing and contact the company to let them know what would be in my luggage. i was met with a stone wall, they just kept quoting the list, no attempts to help, no attempts to offer alternatives or to assist with my problem in any way. They could not understand that this would be in our luggage and as we are on the other side of the world I could not offload it anywhere. i offered all the usual stuff such as assurances it would not be used on board or in port, i was happy to surrender it to the crew provided I could get it back on leaving the ship. I even wrote to their CEO trying to get a considered response. No luck at all and consequently we won't be doing the cruise. They (all the lines, except RCL etc as they have a more enlightened policy) need to get into the 21st century and stop interfering in stuff they have no business in. The RPA in its bag is just a piece of luggage and no threat to anyone. We are extremely disappointed in what has happened, more so that Oceania prides and promotes itself on customer service when obviously there is little real commitment.. 

Before trashing Oceania for adhering to their company policy, you obviously know the ship's Flag State and researched their laws relating to use of drones, specifically their Merchant Shipping Act & Regulations. Once aboard the ship, you are subject to the laws of the Flag State. 

Do you expect the same considerations when flying and items are prohibited. By writing to the CEO, should you be permitted to bring a prohibited item aboard an aircraft. 

I also note you are incorrect that RCI are the only cruise line not prohibiting drones, as Carnival permits them on board the ship, but they may only be used ashore, subject to the laws of the country you are visiting.

Hello Heidi13,

Seems I didnt make my point very well. I wasnt trashing Oceania, I am complaining about the policy shared by many cruise lines. My experience with Oceania is a good example.

Now for some facts. The ship I was booked on is flagged in the Marshall Islands. Use of RPAs is allowed subject to the normal set of laws. If you mean the US, then that is the country of the operating company, again use of RPAs is allowed subject to the local laws. The important point is that operation of the RPA onboard or in port is dangerous and should be not allowed. My intent was/is to use the RPA when ashore and subject to local laws. On the ship it is just a camera in my luggage. Would you be happy if after someone using a long lens to take pix of the passengers the cruise company banned taking cameras onboard? I dont see a lot of difference.

I do carry the RPA on aircraft a lot. The risk in that case is the lithium batteries and there are rules around that for carriage aboard aircraft. The RPA itself is just a piece of luggage, generally no restrictions apply.

My reason for contacting the head of the company is that is where decisions are made. Several contacts with the staff just resulted in a reading of the policy. I was endeavouring to get the policy reviewed who better than the chief decision maker. 

My post mentioned "RCI etc", i meant the Group which I understand is Carnival, RCI, Celebrity and Azamara and their policy is superior.

As with all things there are good and bad individuals. The media has chosen to highlight the actions of the bad way beyond the reality. Those of us who are responsible far outnumber the fools yet we constantly face prejudice. Id ask you to consider my points with an open mind.

You are correct that the Oceania ships are flagged in the Marshall Islands. Unfortunately, laws ashore do not impact the marine regulations, specifically the multitude of radio regulations. While I have never sailed under that flag, as a Flag of Convenience, most of their shipping regulations simply make reference to SOLAS/IMO. Without knowing the frequency band and power of your transmitter, it is impossible to determine, if your device is regulated in the marine environment.

BTW - Carnival Corp is not part of RCI. Carnival & RCI are direct competitors.