Is Sirena sailing slower?

Hokapontas

7 minutes ago, neilrr said:

babysteps and Chengkp75 - Thank you for your responses. I would hope that even if they could not do a full take down of the engine - they should do some type of fix, as they have a full and busy summer season ahead of them. How long is the ship going to be in dry dock for? I have not seen any information on it...  

It is not something that needs a "fix".  This is required maintenance, required by the engine manufacturer, by the classification society that gives the ship its certificates to sail at all, and by the flag state.  As I said, many, many cruise ships sail around for weeks on end with one engine taken down for maintenance, and none of the thousands of passengers onboard know anything about it.  Think of this as your car needing a required maintenance, at a given mileage, or the warranty is voided.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

It is not something that needs a "fix".  This is required maintenance, required by the engine manufacturer, by the classification society that gives the ship its certificates to sail at all, and by the flag state.  As I said, many, many cruise ships sail around for weeks on end with one engine taken down for maintenance, and none of the thousands of passengers onboard know anything about it.  Think of this as your car needing a required maintenance, at a given mileage, or the warranty is voided.

We will expect the worst and hope for the best... Too late now... It is all paid for...We will monitor what happens down the road...

Have a great weekend...  

• Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 5:23 AM, pinotlover said:

Chengkp75;

We have power plants, refinery units, etc, that go down for maintenance turnarounds on a regular basis. The companies know when they are needed, plan and schedule them months in advance. They do so to ensure all personnel and equipment is available and on hand for the turn around.

That’s not the issue. Oceania could calculate and knew well in advance when the maintenance wouybe required. They waited until after payment in full date and into cancellation penalty dates to tell the cruisers “ Oh, by the way!” We, obviously incorrectly, expect more out of a premium cruise line!

Yes, this is my issue, it's the way they have done a bit of bait and switch. I am sure they knew about this when we booked a few months ago.

To fly from afar, we like to enjoy the ports, and have had to adjust our expectations. No longer apparently having enough time to enjoy Seville, in a port they called "Seville (Cadiz)" is a bit sad. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2019 at 12:08 PM, pinotlover said:

We personally sail for the ports, not for the  ship. We would have canceled the cruise and fought for a full refund in that Oceania significantly altered the published itinerary for their convenience. 

I agree pinotlover.

Observing posts on this board about Oceania's on time arrival record, not impressive. 

My friends departed this ship in Barcelona after the TA. This ship was late arriving in most stops. In addition, the ship had periods in mid ocean of only modest forward momentum. Fortunately, the seas were calm. Also after 7 Oceania voyages, it is their last. The quality of food, service had declined. 

Oceania substantively changed this itinerary. As another posted, they knew when the regularly required maintenance is required.

Thank you OP for your post. I have passed this change of itinerary to my TA so she can inform her colleagues about this and will inform others of this.

On 4/4/2019 at 2:28 PM, pinotlover said:

Check the port! We were scheduled for Warenmude and ended up in Rostock. Too many ships in the prior city. Availability to port, in many places, is based on seniority. Oceania being a younger cruise line pales on that front when compared to many of the old European and US lines. We along with several ships got moved to Rostock to dock along side an old power plant and huge cinder pile! No room at the Inn, even though we once had the reservation.

The tour companies knew where to find us!

Yea.... try getting berthed next to a ship loading fish-meal....

May I add that on the Seville (Cadiz) port now, not even Oceania has excursions on offer to go to Seville...a person would have to leave Seville by 12pm to get back on board to leave at 2PM! Maybe 2 hours to visit the city while open.

If the port is called Seville, you should be able to go there.

Hokapontas;

Are you suggesting a land tour of over 2.5-3 hours and the possibility of not be back aboard for lunch! Outrageous! Maybe only between 10-20% of most O cruisers would consider such a tour! On my last cruise, the majority of O shore cruises ( of which we took none) were between 1.5-2 hours long. One can’t get to Seville that quickly. 

One can’t even travel to Jerez from Cádiz and back, visit a Sherry producer, and see the Spanish Arabian Riding shows that quickly!

Oh, but lunch at Waves!

Edited by pinotlover

32 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Hokapontas;

Are you suggesting a land tour of over 2.5-3 hours and the possibility of not be back aboard for lunch! Outrageous! Maybe only between 10-20% of most O cruisers would consider such a tour! On my last cruise, the majority of O shore cruises ( of which we took none) were between 1.5-2 hours long. One can’t get to Seville that quickly. 

One can’t even travel to Jerez from Cádiz and back, visit a Sherry producer, and see the Spanish Arabian Riding shows that quickly!

Oh, but lunch at Waves!

No, Pinot, I don't do lunch on the boat on a port day. Not once.

Our original port hours were 7am-5pm, enabling one to pop off the ship, trundle up to Seville before attractions were open, have tapas and return having seen the city as best you could - even O had excursions to get there.

Now we dock at 7 and are sailing again at 2, not leaving more than 2 hours to enjoy an entire city, if you find your own transport. NO other excursion provider can do it either. As I said, Not Even Oceania Has a Single Excursion to Seville that day. So the port should be renamed Cadiz, which we will be seeing. It's just false advertising at this stage. THAT'S  my point.

Hokapontas;

sorry about the post. What I was trying to say is that only 20% of the passengers would care. Most will never get off the ship for a tour long enough to. Get to Seville.  I agree with you statement 100%. The stop should be called Cádiz!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2019 at 7:03 AM, Hokapontas said:

More like that, yes.

And I haven't written my review yet!!!

We had a similar problem on Oceania Marina Baltic Sea. Nearly every port time was shortened or earlier arrival and earlier departure ( Made no sense to be in a city early morning before everything is open). When we complained this Oceania never gave an excuse.