Room 7001 on the Regatta

melody hounddog

I was wondering if anyone has stayed in room 7000 or 7001 on the Regatta. We are booked on the South Pacific cruise in November and was wondering about the veranda since it is located directly on the bow. When the ship is underway, can you sit out on the veranda? I ask this because I heard that on some cruise ships they lock the balcony doors due to excessive wind. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

Possibly two of the worst cabins on the ship! High up and right on the bow for plenty of wave action and wind. Pray for good weather. We had good weather in February in FP. It wouldn’t have been bad on that cruise! 

Edited by pinotlover

Coming out of lurker-dom to speak up for 7000 and 7001 on the smaller ships. We've chosen those cabins specifically for itineraries where a forward, unobstructed view makes sense. We've been thrilled having the same view as the Bridge while going into fjords in Norway, in Chile, the glaciers in Alaska and (upcoming) Iceland and Greenland -- no waiting for the ship to pivot to give us a look. The view is also wonderful for sail-ins to ports. Is it windy - yes, absolutely. Sitting on the veranda gets challenging in some weather but for us, the views win out. No doubt there's more motion at the front of the ship so far it hasn't been an issue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Old Vic said:

No doubt there's more motion at the front of the ship

In all the years of cruising the only time I got seasick was in a forward facing cabin (in the Med).

Not worth it for me.

Edited by Paulchili

"There's something for everyone!"  :classic_smile:

We *love* forward-facing accommodations.

In general, IF there is a lot of wind, we can sit out, but low, behind the "wind barrier" half-wall (be it transparent or solid, in which case we can peer over, just enough to "watch"), or sit inside and "watch", perhaps still in bathrobes, rather than needing to head to a public area.

We just love seeing where we are going, rather than where we have been.  And that's the case even when at sea, although it's usually more interesting if land is in sight, or we are approaching a port.

DH's first cruise was in a suite just above the Bridge (see our photo :classic_smile:, left), and that spoiled him - and me, too.  But it isn't always possible, because some ships just don't have that, or in other cases the price is just too high, or there are too few, and someone else beats us to those.

We wish there were PH suites on the O ships, with that forward view.  We might even downgrade in the future, just for that view in the two cabins being discussed here.  We really miss that view when we don't have it.

On a recent cruise (not Oceania), we had a big suite, aft.  We found ourselves often heading forward to an observation lounge to watch from there, rather than "use" the view we had right at hand, nice as it was.

GC

On 4/6/2019 at 6:22 AM, GeezerCouple said:

"There's something for everyone!"  :classic_smile:

We *love* forward-facing accommodations.

In general, IF there is a lot of wind, we can sit out, but low, behind the "wind barrier" half-wall (be it transparent or solid, in which case we can peer over, just enough to "watch"), or sit inside and "watch", perhaps still in bathrobes, rather than needing to head to a public area.

We just love seeing where we are going, rather than where we have been.  And that's the case even when at sea, although it's usually more interesting if land is in sight, or we are approaching a port.

DH's first cruise was in a suite just above the Bridge (see our photo :classic_smile:, left), and that spoiled him - and me, too.  But it isn't always possible, because some ships just don't have that, or in other cases the price is just too high, or there are too few, and someone else beats us to those.

We wish there were PH suites on the O ships, with that forward view.  We might even downgrade in the future, just for that view in the two cabins being discussed here.  We really miss that view when we don't have it.

On a recent cruise (not Oceania), we had a big suite, aft.  We found ourselves often heading forward to an observation lounge to watch from there, rather than "use" the view we had right at hand, nice as it was.

GC

Us too! 

Though the O P has changed their room, we have loved seeing the land come up towards us, like being the pilot. Especially in the morning, sun rising. No seasickness for me, but the one time my husband was afflicted, I noted that those others complaining all had midships locations - maybe because they knew they might get sick. And they did, anyway. 

Have a merry trip. 

1 hour ago, Hokapontas said:

Us too! 

Though the O P has changed their room, we have loved seeing the land come up towards us, like being the pilot. Especially in the morning, sun rising. No seasickness for me, but the one time my husband was afflicted, I noted that those others complaining all had midships locations - maybe because they knew they might get sick. And they did, anyway. 

Have a merry trip. 

Sounds great!  We accepted an upsell, and picked cabin 6000.  Knew that there would be more motion, but we really wanted the view that others have posted.  Besides, I never get seasick, and neither does DW since she wears a patch.  Counting down the days til we board Sirena!! : )

10 minutes ago, ruthnlarry said:

Sounds great!  We accepted an upsell, and picked cabin 6000.  Knew that there would be more motion, but we really wanted the view that others have posted.  Besides, I never get seasick, and neither does DW since she wears a patch.  Counting down the days til we board Sirena!! : )

You should  know though, that wind can really close that door! Last time (in 7001 in Marina) on the first day of a Tahiti itinerary, we were slammed outside and the latch refused to open. Luckily the people above responded, as they were enjoying the sights as well, and called for a mechanic - who replaced the latch. 

Also, be aware that the verandah fence is solid metal, not glass. We figured the glass gets horribly opaque, so it didn't upset us much. 

Where are you off to? I am on Sirena in June. 

1 minute ago, Hokapontas said:

You should  know though, that wind can really close that door! Last time (in 7001 in Marina) on the first day of a Tahiti itinerary, we were slammed outside and the latch refused to open. Luckily the people above responded, as they were enjoying the sights as well, and called for a mechanic - who replaced the latch. 

Also, be aware that the verandah fence is solid metal, not glass. We figured the glass gets horribly opaque, so it didn't upset us much. 

Where are you off to? I am on Sirena in June. 

Yes, we're aware of all of the above.

We are on the TA from Rio to Barcelona.  We were just on a great Sirena cruise in January from Miami to Cuba.  So, we're expecting to see some of our friends again before they get to go home during the drydock!