Evening Tours in Cuba

Bxianesq

Trying to decide what tour to do when our Cuba cruise overnights n Havana.  Our options are: (1) Tropicana through the cruise line; (2) Cafe Parisien through the Cruise line; (3) booking a private evening tour through Strawberry tours.  I loved the Buena Vista Social Club movie-I realize that the first 2 choices are more "big splash" types of performances.  

Edited by Bxianesq
Posted twice and changed for new post

I also do not want a big Las Vegas type production evening!

Oceania offers a Buena Vista Social Club type evening at the Riviera Hotel. It is called Legendarios de Guajaritos. I don't know if it is just something that is arranged by the ship or if you can arrange it yourself. We are doing that as one of our free O life tours.

Strawberry does not run its free night tour on the  night we are in town.

I emailed with them though and they are willing to do a private evening tour so if you'd like a particular type of music I would bet they could arrange it for you. I have been told that BVC type music is considered "old fashioned" kind of like how millenials today would think of Frank Sinatra.

Edited by riffatsea

I did not cruise to Cuba but went to the Buena Vista Social Club show at the Hotel Nacionale.  And it was amazing. The hotel itself is gorgeous if you like old iconic hotels. With the great food on the Riviera, I would not eat at the hotel, although, the food in Cuba is phenomenal and there are incredible restaurants there.

On 4/7/2019 at 7:11 PM, Bxianesq said:

Trying to decide what tour to do when our Cuba cruise overnights n Havana.  Our options are: (1) Tropicana through the cruise line; (2) Cafe Parisien through the Cruise line; (3) booking a private evening tour through Strawberry tours.  I loved the Buena Vista Social Club movie-I realize that the first 2 choices are more "big splash" types of performances.  

While we were in Cuba in March 2001, we were not traveling on a cruise at that time.  BUT, we did super enjoy so much in Havana.  FIRST, make sure you do something in the evening.  Don't miss that opportunity to have an "EVENING in HAVANA!!"  The music is great, the people wonderful, the architecture and culture stimulating and interesting, etc.  

The Tropicana was super great and beyond description!!  Yes!  It was a highlight not to be missed.  When we experienced this program in 2001, they had a total cast of 200 different dancers, singer, musicians, performers, etc.  Need proof?  Below is just one small visual to verify the type of "spectacular" that is presented.  Lots of choices and options??!!  That is kind of good news. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

For my latest live/blog, see “the Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East while on the Oceania Nautica.  Check it at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

From just two of my visuals below, the first shows us walking through the Hotel Nacionale during one of our evenings in Havana.  Wonderful experience and historic connection.  Second is being at the Tropicana.  Spectacular!!  Not to be missed!!  Sure, there are many tourists there.  But, there is a reason why it is popular.  Do not underestimate the potentials from going to the Tropicana program in Havana.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1339745710_00340_n_9aeu76nwm13061.jpg.7f6a3bcb82c57b24dcd771692f9ae5df.jpg

2076097750_00289_n_9aeu76nwm12552.jpg.65720436194feeb469ba3b56b9653367.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bxianesq said:

Great pictures!

Appreciate this nice comment and follow-up on my two Cuba pictures.  The good news?  The "real thing" at the Tropicana, Hotel Nacionale, etc., was much, much better than my or any visuals can express and show.  Being there, hearing the music, interacting with the people, etc., is totally amazing and worth the trip. The history, sights, culture, etc., are completely fascinating in Cuba.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 63,594 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Just to build up a little more "excitement" for those planning to be visiting Cuba, here is some added "eye-candy" from my 2001 visit to this unique location.  This includes, first, their main Roman Catholic Cathedral.  Second is inside Hemingway's study at his former home outside of Havana.  Plus, a couple other views from around this city.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1419464519_00147_n_9aeu76nwm11132.jpg.6dd0ee08557e4a21a9b3ba6b2a3948d3.jpg

1801223099_00180_n_9aeu76nwm11461.jpg.f629ff9cb6c920801718e2017d1c3ea3.jpg

1531637176_00199_n_9aeu76nwm11653.jpg.33bdb92dff2c98a8db696d3b3dc68c0a.jpg

876618428_00351_n_9aeu76nwm1317-Version24.jpg.491d1d75f3aad300e82f876d644b104c.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

We just booked for NYE.  How do you get cash to for off ship expenses?  

https://www.tourepublic.com/blog/cuban-currency/

Searched to find the answer to your question and mine.    It looks like everyone exchanges as they leave the ship.

I don't know if the ships have money to exchange or not.  Perhaps someone could tell us that.  

Bottom line for me is that you cannot get Cuban pesos ahead of time and that other currencies like the Euro exchange more favorably than the US dollar.

Also learned that there are two types of pesos and that we'll need to know the difference.

We were there in December, 2018 on a cruisr. We exchanged in the terminal. You need CUCs - the tourist currency. It's the only thing you can get there. Very easy to do.

We have a cruise to Canada this year so just got extra Canadian money and used that. There is an extra 10% fee for changing USD over and above the 3% they charge for other currencies.

That's a great link and very current.  I read some of that info but the part on tipping is excellent.  

I read that you want to take either Euro or CAD money because if you exchange USD they charge an extra 10% penalty plus the normal exchange rate.   

US ATM and debit cards won't work in Cuba.  There are two Cuban currencies CUC and CUP.  CUP is only for locals and CUC is the "tourist" money.  I think I read the CUC is tied to the USD $1 = 1 CUC, but don't quote me on that.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE