A Couple of Travel Insurance Questions

Where on RCI's site can I find the insurance pricing? I can find the Trip Protection page, but can't find anything about costs. We generally cruise the Caribbean and get private insurance mainly for the medical evacuation coverage because we don't think $25,000 is enough. We're planning a cruise to New England/Canada and wondering if the royal Caribbean coverage would be enough? 

These were the prices in 2014.  I've not seen any more recent prices:

$0 USD - $500 USD $29 USD
$501 USD - $1,000 USD $59 USD
$1,001 USD - $1,500 USD $89 USD
$1,501 USD - $2,000 USD $119 USD
$2,001 USD - $2,500 USD $159 USD
$2,501 USD - $3,000 USD $199 USD
$3,001 USD - $3,500 USD $259 USD
$3,501 USD - $4,000 USD $299 USD
$4,001 USD - $4,500 USD $339 USD
$4,501 USD - $5,000 USD $379 USD
$5,001 USD - $5,500 USD $419 USD
$5,501 USD - $6,000 USD $459 USD
$6,001 USD - $6,500 USD $539 USD
$6,501 USD - $7,000 USD $569 USD
$7,001 USD - $7,500 USD $599 USD
$7,501 USD - $8,000 USD $639 USD
$8,001 USD - $8,500 USD $679 USD
$8,501 USD - $9,000 USD $709 USD
$9,001 USD - $9,500 USD $749 USD
$9,501 USD - $10,000 USD $789 USD
$10,001 or Greater $799 USD

1 hour ago, packedandready said:

Where on RCI's site can I find the insurance pricing? I can find the Trip Protection page, but can't find anything about costs. We generally cruise the Caribbean and get private insurance mainly for the medical evacuation coverage because we don't think $25,000 is enough. We're planning a cruise to New England/Canada and wondering if the royal Caribbean coverage would be enough? 

Any reason why you don't stick with a 3rd party (private insurance policy) ?

• Like 1

DW is 49 and I am 58. We found that the third party insurance plans cover more like hotels and flights and pay out more for medical than any cruise line insurance for far less money. We added our 23 yr old son on our plan and the total was $205. It would have cost over $300 if we purchased the Royal Caribbean insurance. The only reason to purchase cruise line insurance is if you are up in years because generally it's less expensive and /or you want cancel for any reason coverage.

We tend to use Royal Caribbean in the Caribbean, Alaska, etc.  Traveling overseas we use a third party for better medical and evacuation as well as covering flights, hotels, etc.   

We are mid-60's.  Royal Caribbean tends to be cheaper and also includes 75% cancel for any reason. But you really need to compare coverages and see which most effectively applies to your situation.

4 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

We tend to use Royal Caribbean in the Caribbean, Alaska, etc.  Traveling overseas we use a third party for better medical and evacuation as well as covering flights, hotels, etc.   

We are mid-60's.  Royal Caribbean tends to be cheaper and also includes 75% cancel for any reason. But you really need to compare coverages and see which most effectively applies to your situation.

We have the same line of thinking. Usually use 3rd party for the evac coverage. But since this cruise is in the states and Canada thought the $25,000 limit for RC may be enough????? Our hotel is refundable and airfare can be insured through the airline. I like the idea that RC insurance is refundable if we have to cancel (before final payment date), and the cancel for any reason. From the price list posted here it looks like we could get better insurance for the same or less money (which is usual). Just need to investigate air evacs some more. Used to never think about that....getting old is the pits!!!! 🙂

• Like 1

We were just quoted $618 by RCL for insuring a cruise which would be in the range of $6500.  We are, however, in our seventies.  We have found a cheaper quote on Insure My Trip which has much more medical and evacuation coverage, and will probably go with that.  It does not have cancel for any reason protection.

Pat

16 minutes ago, vistapat said:

We were just quoted $618 by RCL for insuring a cruise which would be in the range of $6500.  We are, however, in our seventies.  We have found a cheaper quote on Insure My Trip which has much more medical and evacuation coverage, and will probably go with that.  It does not have cancel for any reason protection.

Pat

RCL doesn't quote based on age, but if you found a cheaper rate and don't need cancel for any reason go for the 3rd party!

15 minutes ago, vistapat said:

Pat

Review your personal health insurance for coverage to make sure you aren't double-insuring something.  Your health insurance is your primary insurance when a medical event happens and usually your travel insurance will want to see a denial from your health insurer before picking up the tab.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Review your personal health insurance for coverage to make sure you aren't double-insuring something.  Your health insurance is your primary insurance when a medical event happens and usually your travel insurance will want to see a denial from your health insurer before picking up the tab.

Yes, that's true UNLESS you choose "Primary" coverage and ensure there is the word "secondary" near any of the benefits.  Then it is primary and they pay first -- the only way I buy insurance.

• Like 1