Tasmania or New Caledonia/Vanuatu?

Sofac870

Hello all,

I'm considering both the Ruby Princess on december 5th to New Caledonia/Vanuatu and the Majestic Princess to Melbourne/Tasmania on december 7th for my girlfriend's 30th. I'd like to know the pros and cons of both itineraries and ships. Both routings look absolutely beautiful and I'm torn between the two. We have never sailed with Princess and will be travelling with two kids age 4 and 5. I'm looking at a balcony cabin or maybe a mini suite.

Thanks!

Definitely New Caledonia and Vanuatu for warm weather, beautiful scenery and a taste of other cultures. I think these are much  better destinations for the children too. 

Melbourne is a large city and I assume that your Tasmanian visit will be to Hobart , another city. Interesting places, but likely to have cooler weather.

34 minutes ago, Boatharbour said:

Definitely New Caledonia and Vanuatu for warm weather, beautiful scenery and a taste of other cultures. I think these are much  better destinations for the children too. 

Melbourne is a large city and I assume that your Tasmanian visit will be to Hobart , another city. Interesting places, but likely to have cooler weather.

👍  Melbourne and Hobart are interesting cities, but they are just cities. I agree wholeheartedly with the comments regarding the different culture and the scenery of New Caledonia and Vanuatu.

One thing to consider if cruising to New Caledonia/Vanuatu in December is that it is during our cyclone (hurricane) season. Tasmania will be in the middle of our warm summer and is not affected by cyclones. You can take your chances as weather is unpredictable.

• Thanks 1

As you are from Canada I would recommend the South Pacific, New Caledonia and Vanuatu.  Lovely places, lovely people particularly if your itinerary includes places such as Lifou, Mystery Island or Isle of Pines.

As Australians this is our local cruise, have been over 10 times and still enjoy it.

If you are travelling all that way - I would recommend visiting Australia, so my vote is for the Tasmanian cruise.

Stunning at that time of year, sure it can be a touch cool, but nothing like what you will be leaving behind.

Some of the excursions are fabulous and in Hobart you will get a chance to take the kids to see these little (and big) natives.

cheers, Rose

6A97AB99-D8F5-41AF-A1BD-9C3FC07A56E6.jpeg

F557CD37-D8C6-4914-8063-120580CE9307.jpeg

272DBD8D-D73E-42F6-80F9-11E1B44C26A4.jpeg

Edited by Porky55

4 hours ago, FollowingTheSun said:

Hobart in December can be anything from 35 degrees C (90 degrees F for you northerners) to snow on the mountain or even on the beaches.

The sail into Hobart would be very nice. Not up to Stockholm, but nice to see.

Jim

Agree Jim, lived in Beaconsfield for 5 years in the late 80s, loved Tassie. Have just been back on a cruise on Noordam and thoroughly enjoyed the tours and places around Hobart - so much to see and do.

Yes the Islands are great, but they ain’t Oz are they?

Be like flying to Canada then taking a cruise to Hawaii for us - just sayin 🤔

Rose

Thanks for all your replies! It's been really helpful. I'm really leaning towards the New Caledonia/Vanuatu itinerary, we might fly direct to Melbourne because we've never been, spend a few days and then make our way towards Sydney for the cruise.