Ports of call in Alaska

angel45md

We are planning to explore the ports on our own and would like to know if anyone has used golf carts, scooters or rental cars. Need suggestions of who to use at each port or should we go through Carnival?  

Edited by angel45md

Can't exactly answer. your question but we did all Alaskan ports we visited on our own on foot. I blogged about each of the ports if you want any info on what we did and saw.

https://tanyastravelblog.wordpress.com/category/cruises/2018-golden-princess-muroran-hakodate-osaka-shimizu-sakaiminato-tokyo-hakone-busan-juneau-ketchikan-skagway-whittier-glacier-bay/

• Like 1

Most of the ports are quite accessible on foot.  I'm mostly a DIY person, and Alaska is a great place to do it.  You can also find some very inexpensive but amazing options.  Here are some of my favorite DIY activities:  https://cruisingalaskaonabudget.wordpress.com/2017/05/05/10-inexpensive-things-to-do-in-port/

By exploring the port do you mean just around town or going out into the countryside? Our first cruise we walked around 7 ports had a great time. Have never seen golf carts running around the ports. In Skagway you can rent motorcycles.

We've rented cars in Juneau and Skagway. Juneau, we visited the Shrine of St Terese, the Glacial Gardens, and Mendenhall Glacier on our own, plus a stop at Alaska Brewery for my hubby.  Skagway is easy to see on foot, or on their car tour. The NPS offers a walking tour as well.  We rented our car and drove up to Emerald Lake in the Yukon and really enjoyed the beauty of the area.  This summer we have cars rented in Juneau, Ketchikan,  Anchorage, and Kodiak.  It is our 5th time to Alaska, and first trip on HAL for 14 days.  We are looking forward to exploring some new sights.

On 4/9/2019 at 11:49 AM, angel45md said:

We are planning to explore the ports on our own and would like to know if anyone has used golf carts, scooters or rental cars. Need suggestions of who to use at each port or should we go through Carnival?  

There will be no golf carts or scooters in the Alaskan ports.  So, the best best would be rental cars.  Some of the ports have limited cars (they just don't keep the stock, because, they can't maintain the fleet year round), so, they have a habit of renting out quickly, and, be prepared to be in sticker shock, with some of the quoted prices!

Susan in Anchorage 🙂

There is far more available outside of walking distances in ports,  so car rentals work well.    You don't mention what ports-  but with Carnival it is likely,   Juneau,  Skagway and Ketchikan?     I have rented cars in all.  There are details that can greatly enhance your visit if you take the time to investigate closely the ports-  if you opt to just walk and stay in ports.     Plans are always superior for use of time-  if of interest.      Alternatively,   a lot of people simply wander around commercial areas, and have a good time as well.   

On 4/9/2019 at 3:49 PM, angel45md said:

We did not book through Princess. We booked after much research through our TA (same price as on our own).  

Viator is a great site.  My TA has an agreement with most of these companies to get our $$ back if there is an issue. We are doing the excursion in the morning and exploring on our own in the afternoon so there is no worry about missing the ship.

Thanks, Bobbi