Scandanavia and St. Petersburg

jjeffjb

We did the cruise but not on Celeb....There is never enough time in port to see it all but if you are there most of the day you can get a flavour of the port.

You just have to choose the things in port that interest you the most to see/do .

We're considering a Celebrity cruise to Scandanavia. Any thoughts? Did you find that there was enough time in each port to experience the cities?
I've sailed the Baltics twice, most recently on the Constellation in 2005. I love sailing the Baltics, but you'll find a wealth of information on the BBaltics ports at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192. On our 2nd visit in 2005, we went to different sites in the same ports and also had a wonderful experience. A cruise is just an overview of the ports, but you can see a lot if you plan carefully. For example, the Viking Ship Museum in Oslo will give you a glimpse into the Norwegian history and culture, etc. I felt we had enough time in the ports but was disappointed when Celebrity changed our itnerary and significantly cut our time in Stockholm and Copenhagen in 2005, so be warned about that. A private tour in St. Petersburg will help you to maximize your time. It's a great cruise, and I would sail it again.

Have a great trip,

Donna

• 3 weeks later...

We were on Star Princess last August on the Baltic cruise. This began in Copenhagen and included Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg for two days, Tallin, Gdansk and Warnemunde for Berlin and then overnight in Copenhagen. It was a wonderful trip, very port intensive and a very hectic itinerary. I have posted a review on this trip which can be found at www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=12469

Star Princess is a lovely ship - bigger than we have been used to on our cruises mainly around the Med and Greek Islands and with smaller shipping lines such as MSC, Thompson and Costa. We were not disappointed with the service we received on board and the excursions booked through Princess were well organised and good value for money. Some of the ports we went around on our own. Do check out the review as it will give you some good tips.

Happy Sailings ;)

Regards from Suron in Bristol, England

I agree with Suron, we also did a Star Princess sailing in the Baltics last September. It was wonderful, we loved the ports. Our favorite was St. Petersburg, we obtained Visas and went independently, but there are a couple of great private tour groups that many have enjoyed, Denrus and Red October are probably the best. I don't think you can go wrong with a Baltic cruise.

Archived