NCL Joy -- electrical outlets

ute_fan

Any idea of what kind of electrical outlets/USB ports will be on the Joy?  It's been a while since we've cruised, and I haven't found any information about the newer, bigger ships.  We used to  take a surge protector with multiple outlets on the Jewel class ships.  Will we need something similar on the Joy in order to charge laptops or tablets, phones, etc?

I realize the Joy is on it's way to the US for it's new itineraries, but if anyone that's on one of the first cruises could chime in when they get back -- or if anyone that's been on the other Breakway Plus type ships could give me there experience it would be appreciated.

There will be at least two 110 volt outlets in the cabin - one in the bathroom (limited to shavers and USB equipment)

and one on or near the service desk - usually you will find the 220 volt European outlet right next to it there maybe

more in or near the flat screen TV.

Suggest bringing a short NON SURGE protected extension cord with a few outlets to plug in more than one device.

If you are using a medical (CPAC) equipment you will most likely need a longer extension cord.

Some ships shut off the electricity to the cabin unless a key card is installed in a slot - I don't know if the JOY will be

outfitted this way. Some ships require the cabin attendant to unplug all equipment if the cabin is left unattended.

The JOY being of recent construction should have the modest requirements of consumer user electrical features.

But you can certainly bring your own - just don't overload the bathroom fixture - it is very sensitive.

Personal Hair dryers and Irons are no-no's they use too much power - a hair dryer is provided somewhere in the

cabin maybe in a pull out draw below a vanity mirror - as for an Iron ask your cabin attendant for one and the board.

Keep reading on CC.  CC is loaded with all kinds of help

NCL JOY while recently in service in Asia is now being renovated for use in the USA - we should be having reports

back real soon about its features. 

24 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

There will be at least two 110 volt outlets in the cabin - one in the bathroom (limited to shavers and USB equipment)

and one on or near the service desk - usually you will find the 220 volt European outlet right next to it there maybe

more in or near the flat screen TV.

Suggest bringing a short NON SURGE protected extension cord with a few outlets to plug in more than one device.

If you are using a medical (CPAC) equipment you will most likely need a longer extension cord.

Some ships shut off the electricity to the cabin unless a key card is installed in a slot - I don't know if the JOY will be

outfitted this way. Some ships require the cabin attendant to unplug all equipment if the cabin is left unattended.

The JOY being of recent construction should have the modest requirements of consumer user electrical features.

But you can certainly bring your own - just don't overload the bathroom fixture - it is very sensitive.

Personal Hair dryers and Irons are no-no's they use too much power - a hair dryer is provided somewhere in the

cabin maybe in a pull out draw below a vanity mirror - as for an Iron ask your cabin attendant for one and the board.

Keep reading on CC.  CC is loaded with all kinds of help

NCL JOY while recently in service in Asia is now being renovated for use in the USA - we should be having reports

back real soon about its features. 

Thanks!  I've been on 9 previous NCL cruises and used to post here all the time, but it's been 4 years since our last cruise and I haven't kept up on the features of the newer ships.  I'll have to make sure our power strip isn't surge protected.  Don't remember which one we used the last time we were on the Pearl.

Waiting impatiently for the Joy to get over here so we can start seeing some photos after the renovation.

4 hours ago, ute_fan said:

Any idea of what kind of electrical outlets/USB ports will be on the Joy?  It's been a while since we've cruised, and I haven't found any information about the newer, bigger ships.  We used to  take a surge protector with multiple outlets on the Jewel class ships.  Will we need something similar on the Joy in order to charge laptops or tablets, phones, etc?

I realize the Joy is on it's way to the US for it's new itineraries, but if anyone that's on one of the first cruises could chime in when they get back -- or if anyone that's been on the other Breakway Plus type ships could give me there experience it would be appreciated.

First, you should never bring a surge protected power strip onto a ship. Just a plain power strip is all you should bring onboard. 

On B+ ships, like the escape and Bliss, there are 3 US and 1 European plug at the desk. A USB port on the bedside lamps (but anyone who is cybersecurity conscious would never plug a device like a phone into an untrusted USB port... always use a plug)

Escape 

50CF6A26-0B1A-47AA-AEAC-08D2F68D6C3E.jpeg

Bliss

ff11cf16624371a56ce2f0e188da4aad.heic

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 4/10/2019 at 7:10 PM, BirdTravels said:

On B+ ships, like the escape and Bliss, there are 3 US and 1 European plug at the desk. A USB port on the bedside lamps (but anyone who is cybersecurity conscious would never plug a device like a phone into an untrusted USB port... always use a plug)

Very sound advice for everyone to remember. 

13 hours ago, FM said:

Very sound advice for everyone to remember. 

IF you power off the device you are connecting to the USB port on the B+ ships.

Doesn't this, give you protection against any intrusion onto your device?

18 minutes ago, P_Mcruisers said:

IF you power off the device you are connecting to the USB port on the B+ ships.

Doesn't this, give you protection against any intrusion onto your device?

On the Norton website it states  ... "You can also power down the phone before charging it, but the USB port may still connect to the flash storage in the device."

However it ('juice jacking') does not appear to be a widespread problem at this point and iOS and Android apparently have safety features that combat this concern.  

More concerning is the use of public Wi-Fi without a VPN. 

5 hours ago, Sue Do-Over said:

On the Joy in Nov'21.   We did need to put a card in the slot to turn on lights.  Bring a junk shopper card if you prefer to keep your keycard elsewhere.

What ever you do - DO NOT LEAVE YOUR CABIN WITHOUT YOUR KEY CARD - - -

how are you going to get back in with key card in the slot - lights on - no body home !  LOL !

6 hours ago, FM said:

More concerning is the use of public Wi-Fi without a VPN. 

Yes. Many talk about looking for "free wifi" in port. Nothing is "free". Many international "free" wifi are there to collect data for identity theft. Maybe sold months later. 

• Like 1