Lobsters priced itself out of the menu. Cagney's collasal shrimp heading that way?

fstuff1

42 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

OK, I'll bite. What's so special about Indianapolis shrimp cocktail?

Do they serve it on a brick? ☺️

To each their own on opinions...  They serve them with a very spicy horseradish cocktail sauce. Something I look forward to on each visit there. 

On 4/13/2019 at 11:57 AM, NLH Arizona said:

Bingo.  When people eat enough for three or four people on things they like, lobster and shrimp, at one sitting, it is no wonder that NCL discontinues them or puts an upcharge on them, because abusers hurt everyone.  

In MDR on Royal, lobster tails are free one night per cruise. As many as you want. I have heard of people eating 20+. I usually do 3, accompanied by prime rib. The servers de-shell each tail for you at the table.

Don't justify the corporation being cheap. I find it hard to believe lobster tail costs them any more than a good cut of beef. I get them at the grocery store when they are on sale for less than $5 each. Keep in mind at the massive quantities Royal purchases them at, they are definitely paying less than $1 a tail. NCL would pay the same. If Royal can afford to do it, so can NCL.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

In MDR on Royal, lobster tails are free one night per cruise. As many as you want. I have heard of people eating 20+. I usually do 3, accompanied by prime rib. The servers de-shell each tail for you at the table.

Don't justify the corporation being cheap. I find it hard to believe lobster tail costs them any more than a good cut of beef. I get them at the grocery store when they are on sale for less than $5 each. Keep in mind at the massive quantities Royal purchases them at, they are definitely paying less than $1 a tail. NCL would pay the same. If Royal can afford to do it, so can NCL.

A person eating 20+ is just gluttonous.  If they are so cheap, it wouldn't be an issue of greed.  

55 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

I completely agree with you.

I do think the move to eliminate lobster is more about maximizing profits than any kind of loss due to abuse. The thing is, even if they instituted a limit to how many tails a passenger may order, it would detract from their upcharged specialty restaurants that serve lobster. THIS is the real reason.

NCL has the “upcharge culture” deeply engrained in its product offering, whereas RCCL is more balanced. But at the end of the day, with everything tabulated, they pretty much charge the same, but those charges add up differently.

So again, I believe the lack of included lobster is purely to drive more sales of upcharged lobster, not to minimize the cost of abusive consumption. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

A person eating 20+ is just gluttonous.  If they are so cheap, it wouldn't be an issue of greed.  

The example I cited was something that was told to me...not something I've seen. Heck, maybe it never even happened. The point is that behavior such as that is certainly the exception and not the rule. I've never seen anyone order an "inappropriate" amount. 

39 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

The example I cited was something that was told to me...not something I've seen. Heck, maybe it never even happened. The point is that behavior such as that is certainly the exception and not the rule. I've never seen anyone order an "inappropriate" amount. 

Not an exception.  When NCL use to serve the lobster in the buffet, I was always surprised how many folks would take.

FWIW, I think they should bring back the lobster to the MDR, but only serve one to each passenger, as it would be easier to control inventory levels.

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

FWIW, I think they should bring back the lobster to the MDR, but only serve one to each passenger, as it would be easier to control inventory levels.

I agree.  It would be amazing if NCL gave something back instead of taking away  things or charging more money.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

Carnival has lobster night on 6 day or longer cruises as well.  Funny how other lines can afford it and NCL can't.   They've taken the lobster off Cagney's menu, and Teppanyaki and Le Bristro (as well as the main dining room).  They even took lobster rolls off the Food Republic menu!  I just got off the Escape and they only have lobster at Bayamo and it is $9.99 extra, on top of using one of your specialty dining credits!    But Carnival and RCL can offer lobster for free in their main dining room?  I call BS NCL!

22 hours ago, slugg said:

I completely agree with you.

I do think the move to eliminate lobster is more about maximizing profits than any kind of loss due to abuse. The thing is, even if they instituted a limit to how many tails a passenger may order, it would detract from their upcharged specialty restaurants that serve lobster. THIS is the real reason.

NCL has the “upcharge culture” deeply engrained in its product offering, whereas RCCL is more balanced. But at the end of the day, with everything tabulated, they pretty much charge the same, but those charges add up differently.

So again, I believe the lack of included lobster is purely to drive more sales of upcharged lobster, not to minimize the cost of abusive consumption. 

But now NCL has eliminated lobster from every specialty restaurant except Bayamo, which they now charge extra in addition to using the dining credit.  I used to think that was their way of getting you to eat in specialty restaurants but now I don't think so.  They even took the lobster roll out of Food Republic, a restaurant where people were paying for the lobster!

15 minutes ago, ksmcdonald said:

But now NCL has eliminated lobster from every specialty restaurant except Bayamo, which they now charge extra in addition to using the dining credit.  I used to think that was their way of getting you to eat in specialty restaurants but now I don't think so.  They even took the lobster roll out of Food Republic, a restaurant where people were paying for the lobster!

There is some variance from ship to ship, but I am reading you loud and clear now. That just sucks!

• Like 1

Along the same lines, I was amazed that there was no smoked salmon served in the buffet on my recent Getaway cruise . They had a nasty lox cream cheese mixture but no smoked salmon . First cruise without it. 

I'm sure that someone will respond that they saw people taking 3 or even more pieces of lox thereby spoiling it for everyone with their gluttony . So NCL had to react . Pathetic!  ☹️

Edited by richstowe
+

1 hour ago, richstowe said:

Along the same lines, I was amazed that there was no smoked salmon served in the buffet on my recent Getaway cruise . They had a nasty lox cream cheese mixture but no smoked salmon . First cruise without it. 

I'm sure that someone will respond that they saw people taking 3 or even more pieces of lox thereby spoiling it for everyone with their gluttony . So NCL had to react . Pathetic!  

Surely it is still offered in the MDR?

5 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

Surely it is still offered in the MDR?

Besides the buffet we had breakfast at O'Sheehan's which was great but did not offer smoked salmon . I don't know whether it's offered in the MDR .

2 hours ago, richstowe said:

I'm sure that someone will respond that they saw people taking 3 or even more pieces of lox thereby spoiling it for everyone with their gluttony . So NCL had to react . Pathetic!  ☹️

Why did I book this cruise. Damnit. 

2 hours ago, ksmcdonald said:

At least it is real (cold water) lobster, not the junky baked warm water rock "lobster" that typically gets served in the Caribbean.

On 4/13/2019 at 11:57 AM, NLH Arizona said:

Bingo.  When people eat enough for three or four people on things they like, lobster and shrimp, at one sitting, it is no wonder that NCL discontinues them or puts an upcharge on them, because abusers hurt everyone.  

I don't remember ever seeing lobster tails at the buffet crab legs...yes....

2 hours ago, richstowe said:

Did you ask? They had been bringing out a small dish so you could take a bit if you asked for it at the buffet. One way to keep people from grabbing the whole display full I guess. Maybe they even stopped keeping it behind the counter.

3 hours ago, ksmcdonald said:

Carnival has lobster night on 6 day or longer cruises as well.  Funny how other lines can afford it and NCL can't.   They've taken the lobster off Cagney's menu, and Teppanyaki and Le Bristro (as well as the main dining room).  They even took lobster rolls off the Food Republic menu!  I just got off the Escape and they only have lobster at Bayamo and it is $9.99 extra, on top of using one of your specialty dining credits!    But Carnival and RCL can offer lobster for free in their main dining room?  I call BS NCL!

I keep bring up the fact that NCL used to have commercials on TV saying Lobster daily...it was in different venues ...do you think that's why they don't have it anymore....they advertised and people booked cruises because of the ads...and people ate the lobster...because of the ads...and then NCL thought that the bait was set....people took the bait ( or lobster) and NCL now thinks that they are caught.  The  people who ate several lobster tails...was just following the ad man???   Was the ad man fired???? no...they fired the Lobsters😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zippeedee said:

Did you ask? They had been bringing out a small dish so you could take a bit if you asked for it at the buffet. One way to keep people from grabbing the whole display full I guess. Maybe they even stopped keeping it behind the counter.

Did I ask ?  Maybe we need to create a list of the secret items they keep hidden away so that they are not actually consumed . Is a secret code or password required for this small dish ?

4 minutes ago, richstowe said:

Did I ask ?  Maybe we need to create a list of the secret items they keep hidden away so that they are not actually consumed . Is a secret code or password required for this small dish ?

Apparently! I read it here so I asked. It is the cruise version of "gotta know a guy".

• Haha 1

On 4/16/2019 at 1:18 PM, richstowe said:

That's funny! Maybe someone will suggest that you have to hand one of the servers in the Buffet a $20 to get a small dish of lox. Anyway, one reason I eat breakfast in the MDR is because smoke salmon is always available. So I get it everyday. I am hoping it is better for me than eating bacon.

Edited by IrieBajan54
add text