Suggestions for Equinox in Caribbean?

oleb84

39 minutes ago, chemmo said:

You will be able to book day tours from your hotel. Usually minibus sized and with a range of itineraries. This is probably the easiest way for you to see as much as possible and get an overview of Miami. 

If you simply search ‘visiting Miami from Fort Lauderdale’ a range of options will come up. If you don’t see exactly what you want email providers. Alternatively, email the concierge at the hotel you plan on staying in and ask their advice.

Miami does have a hoho bus which may suit you better than a full tour, so all you would need to know is the easiest way to join the ‘loop’.  Taxi in this case may be favourite.

It seems to me that Miami is a key element of your holiday choice, in which case you may simply be better staying there.....Where are you actually flying into Fort Lauderdale or Miami? I know you are cruising from Fort Lauderdale....If you are flying into Miami simply book a central hotel and then it is just one taxi/transfer to Fort Lauderdale on the morning of your cruise...

It's only a key part of it because I've never been there and "Miami" has as much impact on my curiosity as "New York" or "London". But we want a relaxed vibe so I'm now erring towards FL and just a day trip to Miami, as you have suggested. 

We won't be able to book flights until Feb/March next year so perfectly happy to fly into wherever suits the whole itinarary the best. A quick search for this time next year suggests flights to FL are actually slightly cheaper so now that will also weigh into the decision.

Everyone has given such great advice and recommendation in this thread, it's exactly what I was hoping for. Helping me make an informed decision. I do worry I'm not thinking enough about the actual cruise though!

46 minutes ago, oleb84 said:

It's only a key part of it because I've never been there and "Miami" has as much impact on my curiosity as "New York" or "London". But we want a relaxed vibe so I'm now erring towards FL and just a day trip to Miami, as you have suggested. 

We won't be able to book flights until Feb/March next year so perfectly happy to fly into wherever suits the whole itinarary the best. A quick search for this time next year suggests flights to FL are actually slightly cheaper so now that will also weigh into the decision.

Everyone has given such great advice and recommendation in this thread, it's exactly what I was hoping for. Helping me make an informed decision. I do worry I'm not thinking enough about the actual cruise though!

Plenty of time for questions on the cruise yet! 

You are doing exactly the right thing to get the most out of your trip. We tend to find the best deals on flights are about 6/7 months out. As cruises can occasionally be chartered at about a year out it also is sensible to wait a little past this time. 

Enjoy your planning!

You have many options: flying into Miami and staying there before you cruise; flying indirect to FLL and staying there; and also flying into Orlando and driving down. All of which we have done over the years. FLL is easier if you are sailing from there, but you can also stay in Miami for the day and then travel onto FL. I personally wouldn’t travel on the morning of the cruise (I like to be where I am sailing from on the morning of embarkation just in case of any little issues).  Check the flights when they are open, you’ll get a direct flight (no connections) from London but getting through security at Miami can be horrendous - long waiting times. All worth throwing into the mix.

I’d definitely want my DH to tell me prior to sailing that it was booked. You could always keep a specialty restaurant reservation as a surprise instead.

Have a great cruise on Equinox!

Edited by villauk

We always fly into FLL for our cruises from Miami because it is cheaper.  However, we love to stay in the port town we are leaving from.  We take SAS transportation from the airport to our hotel.  https://www.ridesas.com/

The hotel I would recommend is Holiday Inn, Biscayne Bay - https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/miami/miabb/hoteldetail?cm_mmc=GoogleMaps-_-HI-_-US-_-MIABB

It is right across the way from Bayside which has lots of shops and restaurants. http://www.baysidemarketplace.com/

Ask for a room facing Bayside and you will see your ship when you wake in the AM!

It also has a Thriller Boat ride or a nice slow touristy boat you can take from the dock.  You can take a bus into South Beach if you want to walk around there.  The concierge at the hotel can tell you how.  It was very, very easy.  We walked around Lincoln Road in South Beach.  Great shops and restaurants.  https://lincolnroad.com/

We took a Duck Tour and had a great time!  https://ducktourssouthbeach.com/

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Equinox is my favourite X ship, so good choice, you will love it. Also highly recommend Murano and would be a good choice for your wife's special birthday, make sure X are aware of the birthday. 

Last September I was lucky to take my 4th Cruise on Equinox and 1st Caribbean. I flew in direct to Miami, had 3 nights there pre cruise. For ease I spent the 1st night at an airport hotel which had free airport shuttle. Transferred via taxi to a Mid Miami beach hotel for the next 2 nights. Mid beach was fine for me as it was not too busy. As someone else said there is a free trolley bus service that runs all the way up the beach and a lovely broadwalk. The hotel booked me a day tour, which took in bus tour then boat trip, I thought it was  excellent value for money, although personally I didn't like bayside. Just keep in mind Miami is not cheap and everything incurs an additional tax.

As my flight home was not until 18.30, I took a ship excursion at the end of the cruise the Everglades tour, which worked well.

Like you being from UK and not sure I would ever returnbe I wanted to experience Miami and loved it!!!! , I am female and travel on my own and at no point did I feel at all ill at ease, found everyone super helpful.

The only thing I would not recommended was the shopping mall, I don't want to offend anyone, but I had high expectations and what I found was not very good quality and pricey, perhaps its just me (I work in textiles).

I would recommend you join the roll call for your cruise, often lots of helpful tips.

Hope this helps.