Avalon Flexible Dining

JerryInIL

We got off an Avalon Danube cruise July 3.

We were told it is acceptable to arrive in the dining room within 45 minutes of start time, which was usually 7pm.

The food was good, but they are not at all flexible about accommodating passengers' wishes. I am allergic to mussels, so don't eat other bivalves just in case; it was a big deal to have the mushroom risotto without the one small scallop that ordinarily came on top.

One evening, I wanted 2 appetizers, no soup or salad; it was impossible to have them served separately. 

DH is on a cardiac diet. There was one sugar free dessert served every night of the 13 night cruise. When we met with the chef and maitre d twice, we were assured recipes could be adapted to be low sodium, DH's meals came completely unseasoned, as if he were on a hospital bland diet. Except for the time his salad had ham on it.

On 7/6/2019 at 3:34 PM, amyr said:

I promised to take some pictures of the bistro and come back here when we were done.  I'm just now sorting through it all because we drove through Romania for 3+ weeks after the cruise.  

They put out at least three entrees off the main dining room menu, but none of the 'always available' things like the steak filet.  They choose entrees that

lend themselves to being kept warm in individual glass bowls with lids.  They will have two appetizers, a soup, one or two salads, three entrees, two desserts, and cheese, crackers, and bread.  We ate there the night of Hungarian dinner, and I was really pleased because we could choose two different entrees and take them to our table if that's what we wanted.  

The presentation doesn't look as appetizing as it actually is.  We were exhausted and delighted to be able to sit down, eat, and be done in 30 minutes.  The regular dinner takes from 7:00 to about 9:00.

I realized after I got home that I didn't actually take pictures of the whole table, just about 1/3 of it.  There's plenty of food.

Thanks for the Bistro photos Amy, it looks delicious.  I agree that those 2 hour dinners are sometimes too long after a long day of tours.

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2019 at 7:05 AM, Andee said:

We got off an Avalon Danube cruise July 3.

We were told it is acceptable to arrive in the dining room within 45 minutes of start time, which was usually 7pm.

The food was good, but they are not at all flexible about accommodating passengers' wishes. I am allergic to mussels, so don't eat other bivalves just in case; it was a big deal to have the mushroom risotto without the one small scallop that ordinarily came on top.

One evening, I wanted 2 appetizers, no soup or salad; it was impossible to have them served separately. 

DH is on a cardiac diet. There was one sugar free dessert served every night of the 13 night cruise. When we met with the chef and maitre d twice, we were assured recipes could be adapted to be low sodium, DH's meals came completely unseasoned, as if he were on a hospital bland diet. Except for the time his salad had ham on it.

I would not recommend to anyone that they arrive in the dining room 45 minutes late, unless you choose to sit at a two-top by yourselves.  Joining a group that late at a large table disrupts the flow of service for the wait staff and the other travelers.  If someone chooses to eat that late, I would recommend the Bistro dinner in the lounge which is available most nights.   As for special diets, this is always a challenge for the chef to get it right.  Low sodium for you can be very different than low sodium for someone else, thus it's easier for everyone that you just season it yourself as you like it. 

They work true miracles with their excellent meals prepared in a closet size galley. 

We never arrived 45 minutes late--but it was what we were told.

I met with the chef twice--and both times he was very clear that he could prepare low sodium meals that were still well seasoned, had sauces, etc.  He failed abysmally.  If a dish had ANY kind of sauce or seasoning, they just omitted it. What would you expect my husband to season his food with when the only seasoning available on the table was pepper?  I disagree with you about the differences in what low sodium means.