Cunard sister cruise ships in the 70's; their names

gbet

My first cruise left out of San Juan and returned there. One of the sister ships had an engine room (I think) approx a month before we were to go on it.  We were switched to go on the sister ship which caught fire on my 1st cruise. The ports were wonderful.  The fire part wasn't.  Thankfully, 'they' get the engine running and had no problems for the remainder of the cruise. Shortly thereafter,  Cunard operated only 'Queen' ships and no cruise ships.  

Does anyone know the names of the two sister ships?  Thank you.

Another forum you will want to research is What Ever Happened To........??? at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/34-what-ever-happened-to/. It is the best place to discuss the glorious past of cruising...the ships, the people, the cruise lines, the ports that bring back those wonderful memories. Lots of our Cruise Critic "history experts" hang out there.

13 hours ago, rdsqrl said:

Cunard Countess and Cunard Princess, I believe. 

That would be my guess. My parents sailed on one of those ships to Bermuda. The ship was very new. My parents sat at the Chief Engineer's table (Dad was in heaven!) and they were invited to a cocktail party in his cabin. Dad said there was quite a collection of parts with tags on them indicating what was wrong with them. 

Hi, 

The Cunard Countess entered service in 1976 and the Cunard Princess entered service in 1977. Prior to these ships, Cunard also briefly operated two small new ships that entered service in the early 1970s: the Cunard Adventurer and the Cunard Ambassador. Depending on the year of your cruise, these ships also are a possibility. The Cunard Adventurer became NCL's Sunward II and the Cunard Ambassador suffered a serious fire and was converted to a sheep transport.

Chuck

Cunard acquired Vistafjord and Sagafjord from Norwegian America Line in 1983.

We sailed on Vistafjord later to become Caronia  many times but never on Sagafjord. Our children went on from 5 months and 1 year old. The staff became friends and we left toys onboard. The entertainment was lacking at first but did gradually improve.

Films in the evening were shown in the Library and announcements were German first English second then later on reversed the order.

Being smaller ships they coud get into so many interesting ports. We went up the Amazon and to Devils Island one Easter Sunday. 

3 hours ago, Elephant1151 said:

We sailed on Vistafjord later to become Caronia  many times but never on Sagafjord. Our children went on from 5 months and 1 year old. The staff became friends and we left toys onboard. The entertainment was lacking at first but did gradually improve.

Films in the evening were shown in the Library and announcements were German first English second then later on reversed the order.

Being smaller ships they coud get into so many interesting ports. We went up the Amazon and to Devils Island one Easter Sunday. 

The Sagafjord and Vistafjord were wonderful ships. I greatly enjoyed cruising aboard them in the early 1990s.

Chuck

We enjoyed the experience of sailing on the Caronia in 2001 and really loved the different size ship.

Capt. Nick Bates was our Captain for that sailing and enjoyed his company and stories of his experiences with the Cunard Line.

Caronia was smaller but still offered all the services, entertainment and activities on our 10 day cruise.

She still is one of our memories sailing on the Cunard Line. Unfortunately we did not get the opportunity to sail on her other sisters.

21 hours ago, Elephant1151 said:

i was 20 times on Vistafjord and only once on Sagafjord  -  the Sagaford was a very closed society   

despite the ships were small they both were very deep in the sea and rather difficult to manoever  - the Sagafjord had very weak

power on the thrusters  -  the Vistafjord was needing quite often several tug boats especially when a particular captain was on duty - in Antwerpen he needed 3 tugs   in 1992 ( i still have the pics ) 

in the mid nineties another captain did cancel Tangier  with a rather moderate wind , pretending the tugs were far too weak , however he avoided the tugs as much as possible  - he simply did not want to go into that place :classic_biggrin:

i was on Devils Island with the Vista in 1993