Gentle walkers tour on Viking Ocean?

knoxclone

I have done three Viking river cruises  - and due to some lingering foot issues -  have normally opted for the offered  "Gentle walkers" group for excursions.  Am taking my first ocean  ( Viking Homelands) cruise in June and am hoping that there is something similar offered.  

However, I have not been able to  find any discussion on Viking Ocean boards about excursions and specifically slower paced groups... I would appreciate any feedback.  Thanks!

Hi,

You can see descriptions of the offered excursions here: https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/baltic/viking-homelands/index.html and move from day to day.  We are leaving on Vikings Homelands next month and I do know that at least one port (Tallinn) has a "leisurely" rated tour, see  below.  I don't recall if there are others, but you can scroll through the link above and see.

tallin excursion.JPG

Edited by ropomo

15 hours ago, ropomo said:

Hi,

You can see descriptions of the offered excursions here: https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/baltic/viking-homelands/index.html and move from day to day.  We are leaving on Vikings Homelands next month and I do know that at least one port (Tallinn) has a "leisurely" rated tour, see  below.  I don't recall if there are others, but you can scroll through the link above and see.

tallin excursion.JPG

If you can, take the afternoon included,  It's much more civilized and enjoyable when the other cruise ships are departing and the streets have space.  You can go in earlier on a shuttle if you want. The port is very close to the old city so it's easy to get back to the ship! 

Thanks for the afternoon tip! 

I am hoping that some "gentle walker groups" will be identified at some of the other excursion ports as well.  Not a deal breaker, but more of a convenience with a walking boot!

We found that most local tour guides Viking Ocean provides will understand some in their group might not be able to keep up. Usually, they will offer alternatives on the spot, such as taking a route with less walking and meeting up with the group at a predetermined spot. However, unlike river cruises we’ve been on, there was no special bus for gentle walkers on the one ocean cruise we took. This did not deter us from booking more ocean cruises.

This is a problem for Viking I am sure - lots of tours means it is difficult for them to try to have groups of “gentle walkers”. We were in Hoi An yesterday and it was a nightmare mixing fit walkers with those who should have been either on another tour or in “gentle walker “ groups. Our guide found it impossible to control the group ( which was also too big) and a one hour tour took almost 2 and thus freetime in a beautiful city was almost non existent. I am not sure what the answer is - many moderate rated tours are beyond many mobility challenges guests here in Asia as it is so hot and humid.