THE PRE-CRUISE TRIP-TOKYO TO VANCOUVER ON THE SS MARINER

2 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Wow!  It looks as if you had an incredible flight. Very impressive. The food looks delicious. Any good wine or champagne during the flight?

Z and TB

Yes, Dom Perignon 2009, nice reds and whites also serviced---Since we don't drink they made special cocktails for us, all good, one was called  Sweet Pea.  Believe it or not they use a shaved  ice to make this drink and it was purple in color serviced in champagne flute.  It really was a one of our nicest flights we've taken.  Just one more night before we get on the ship.

Just a quick note about our lunch today.  We decided to take a walk down the street from the hotel and have a light lunch.  As we walked we saw a Denny’s on the corner, we looked at each other and said we’re in Tokyo.  Looking down a small alley we saw a sign we couldn’t read but was pretty sure it was a small restaurant .  Yes it was and we walked in and happy to be seated among a lot of locals.  We ordered with help, and as you will see from the photo (and this is just one of the items) we should have went  to Denny’s.

sea snail.jpg

This morning is overcastted and a little rain.  Had breakfast this morning at the hotel, nice looking buffet and never knew you could make an omelet with chop sticks but saw it done today.  It was good!  Off for a little shopping around the area.

Dinner tonight started with a cab ride to the Ginza area at the Ginza Steak First Shop.  They serve 5A Wagyu Beef.  They say it’s the best beef you can get and I think they are right.  The steaks are so tender because of the all the marbling of the beef.  Truly melted in your mouth, just good.  They cook it right in front of you Tappan style, but nothing like we have at home in the USA.  They do it so perfect and with style it’s truly an art form.  You’re never rushed to the next course, the chef is very careful about that and I believe he really wants you to enjoy what he has cooked for you.  Just when you’re about finished with your steak the chef will ask you if you’d like another.  We did and did and did once more, it was that good. 

You not only need a reservation at this restaurant, you have to show a copy of the e-mail they send you to get in the door.  Once in you’re treated as a true guest and in for a very enjoyable night.  Here’ a few pictures we took.  A few more courses but I’m only putting the beef shots here.

It’s now time to move on to part 2.  We’ll start a new thread to make it a little easier---- Look for it if you still have an interest, we board the ship tomorrow around 12 noon.

PART #2 CRUISING ON THE SS MARINER FROM TOKYO TO VANCOUVER

20190426_192609(0)_resized.jpg

20190426_192958_resized.jpg

20190426_192717_resized.jpg

20190426_193222_resized.jpg

Just read your thread for the first time, Ron.  Wow!!!!  I just returned from Hong Kong, and like you, Spring Deer has been my favorite for years!  I agree, though.  This was the first time the Peking Duck was not carved table side.  It was still wonderful, and I don't think Hong Kong can be Hong Kong for me without a visit to Spring Deer!  And your meal at Wine and Oyster is reason enough for me to get back to Hong Kong soon!!  And Ginza Steak First Shop had me salivating for an immediate return to Tokyo!

I'm going to gain weight just reading your comments.  Thanks so much for sharing. Looking forward to more!!!

7 hours ago, bebop bonnie said:

Just read your thread for the first time, Ron.  Wow!!!!  I just returned from Hong Kong, and like you, Spring Deer has been my favorite for years!  I agree, though.  This was the first time the Peking Duck was not carved table side.  It was still wonderful, and I don't think Hong Kong can be Hong Kong for me without a visit to Spring Deer!  And your meal at Wine and Oyster is reason enough for me to get back to Hong Kong soon!!  And Ginza Steak First Shop had me salivating for an immediate return to Tokyo!

I'm going to gain weight just reading your comments.  Thanks so much for sharing. Looking forward to more!!!

Small world, we use to live in Boca Raton in Parkside.  You'll really like Ginza Steak----Even with a map it is hard to find as signage outside is very small.  We took a cab and he had a problem, just got out and walk around till we saw a red tiny sign across the street.