THE PRE-CRUISE TRIP-TOKYO TO VANCOUVER ON THE SS MARINER

Thanks for the good description of the flight.  Somewhat restores my "faith" in AA --  I have had nothing but very very poor service and food on that airline so stopped flying them years ago!  Hope you get some rest in HKG and have a lot of fun there...

2 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Thanks for the good description of the flight.  Somewhat restores my "faith" in AA --  I have had nothing but very very poor service and food on that airline so stopped flying them years ago!  Hope you get some rest in HKG and have a lot of fun there...

Not kidding, it really was a nice flight, nothing bad only good things.  Even the flight from PSP to DFE was very good.  I'd fly them again it was that good, so much better than BA from London last couple of flights on them.

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

Not kidding, it really was a nice flight, nothing bad only good things.  Even the flight from PSP to DFE was very good.  I'd fly them again it was that good, so much better than BA from London last couple of flights on them.

We don't fly BA anymore unless we have to - our preferred airline is Swiss.  I am almost at the point of saying "if Swiss doesn't fly somewhere I am not going there..."

This morning turned out nice but hot and humid.  Naturally you can’t come to Hong Kong without taking a ride on the Star Ferry, so we did.  After crossing we made the return trip back to The Kowloon side.

Walking down Nathan Road a few blocks from the hotel we turned right down a small street and found a small local restaurant, it had a small red door—walking inside turned out to be a huge dining room with over 100 tables.  Almost ready to turn around and walk out they welcomed us and took us to a table, pour us some hot tea and took our order.  Happy we didn’t walk out as it was really outstanding.  The first basket was baked charcoal bun barbecued pork, so good.  We thought the pork was barbecued, wrong-the bun was made from charcoal dust.  Don’t know if we should worry, but it was so good we ordered a second order of them.  Now the ribs, had no idea they came with goose feet web.  Good but really fatty.  We had a few more dishes, all had great flavor and really happy we didn’t walk out.  As the restaurant filled up it was obvious we were the only tourists in the place. 

A little shopping without a purchase and that is a first for us.  We got back to the hotel just in time as a thunderstorm hit, downpour of rain, lighting and all of a sudden you cannot see Hong Kong Central on the other side of the bay.

Don’t think we’ll have dinner tonight as we’re both tried and we’re both looking forward to dinner at Spring Deer tomorrow night.  They known for their Peking King Duck, we return to Spring Deer every time we visit Hong Kong  it has terrific food.  Let you know more about it tomorrow! 

Baked Charcoal BBQ Buns.jpg

Steamed Spare Rib, Goose Web, Pomelo Peel.jpg

42 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Walking down Nathan Road a few blocks from the hotel we turned right down a small street and found a small local restaurant, it had a small red door—walking inside turned out to be a huge dining room with over 100 tables.  Almost ready to turn around and walk out they welcomed us and took us to a table, pour us some hot tea and took our order.  Happy we didn’t walk out as it was really outstanding.  The first basket was baked charcoal bun barbecued pork, so good.  We thought the pork was barbecued, wrong-the bun was made from charcoal dust.  Don’t know if we should worry, but it was so good we ordered a second order of them.  Now the ribs, had no idea they came with goose feet web.  Good but really fatty.  We had a few more dishes, all had great flavor and really happy we didn’t walk out.  As the restaurant filled up it was obvious we were the only tourists in the place. 

Sounds wonderful.  Would like a little clarification so I can find this wonderful place when in Hong Kong in a few month.  Staying in the same area.

When you say down Nathan Road from the Sheraton, is that toward the Star Ferry?  And might you know the name of the street or the name of the restaurant.

Appears from a map you were walking away from Star Ferry as no little streets toward the Ferry and found Tsui Wah Restaurant which might be the place on 2 Carnarvon Rd

Thanks

Edited by rallydave

ronrick1943, would this be the same Spring Deer we ate in about 30 years ago? If so, I still remember how good it was, the atmosphere, etc. Enjoying your posts! We are taking similar cruise on Explorer in 2021, will be following along avidly. Thank you.

7 hours ago, rallydave said:

Sounds wonderful.  Would like a little clarification so I can find this wonderful place when in Hong Kong in a few month.  Staying in the same area.

When you say down Nathan Road from the Sheraton, is that toward the Star Ferry?  And might you know the name of the street or the name of the restaurant.

Appears from a map you were walking away from Star Ferry as no little streets toward the Ferry and found Tsui Wah Restaurant which might be the place on 2 Carnarvon Rd

Thanks

Sorry but I don't recall the name of the street as I wasn't looking but it is the other way from the Star Ferry.  I don't recall how many blocks but a long way-maybe 30 mins. Sorry.

5 hours ago, briar14 said:

ronrick1943, would this be the same Spring Deer we ate in about 30 years ago? If so, I still remember how good it was, the atmosphere, etc. Enjoying your posts! We are taking similar cruise on Explorer in 2021, will be following along avidly. Thank you.

I think it is the same, the first time we ate at the Spring Dear was maybe in the early 80's and we keep coming back because really is that good and fun.  Doesn't look that good from the outside and it's up stairs to the right side as you enter another store.  

10 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Sorry but I don't recall the name of the street as I wasn't looking but it is the other way from the Star Ferry.  I don't recall how many blocks but a long way-maybe 30 mins. Sorry.

Thanks for the response ronrick.  Was hoping it was a bit closer.  Will be staying about a block up Nathan Road and don't want to walk a half hour to an unknown place.  Sure I will be able to find acceptable restaurants closer to the Star Ferry.

14 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

I think it is the same, the first time we ate at the Spring Dear was maybe in the early 80's and we keep coming back because really is that good and fun.  Doesn't look that good from the outside and it's up stairs to the right side as you enter another store.  

That’s it! Thanks for replying. I hope you enjoyed your dinner.

17 hours ago, rallydave said:

Thanks for the response ronrick.  Was hoping it was a bit closer.  Will be staying about a block up Nathan Road and don't want to walk a half hour to an unknown place.  Sure I will be able to find acceptable restaurants closer to the Star Ferry.

We ate there (Spring Deer) in February and it is on Moody Rd. which is right off Nathan. Best Peking Duck ever!!

29 minutes ago, sassyw said:

We ate there (Spring Deer) in February and it is on Moody Rd. which is right off Nathan. Best Peking Duck ever!!

Thanks for the reply sassyw, understand where Spring Deer is but, was talking about another restaurant ronrick went to that is a 30 minute walk from Moody Rd. and which ronrick did not remember the name or street it is on and why I don't want to walk for 30 minutes and have no idea of the street to turn off Nathan Road.

Today is going to be a rest day, I guess the older you get the more jet lag sets in.  Got up early this morning and had breakfast in the Towers lounge at the Sheraton HG.  Breakfast is pretty good with a nice section from the buffet, egg dishes, pan cakes, French toast made to order.  However what they call High Tea is not so good.  Cocktails and small plates should be called cocktails only, again not up to the standards for a hotel lounge.  I guess what I’m saying except for breakfast the lounge doesn’t have much to offer.

The room/suite is nice, but I prefer the JW Marriott or Hilton on the other side of the bay.  Just much better hotels, but we wanted to stay on the Kowloon side this trip.  It’s only 4 nights so no big deal, in fairness the service is as good and the view of the bay can’t be beat.

After a short walk around Nathan Road we came back to the hotel for a quick lunch and some rest back at the hotel until dinner tonight.  The Chinese restaurant on the second floor was really good, in fact they also made those baked charcoal buns, barbecued pork.  Believe it or not they were as good as those we had the other day.  For lunch it’s a dim sum restaurant, big in size and not full of tourist.  The fact is once again we’re the only American tourist in the place; people are coming here to eat that aren’t staying at the hotel.

Dinner at the Spring Deer! A little bit of a walk from the hotel, not so good this time around.  The place is super busy and turning a table is important to them.  A lot of locals are eating at big tables (8-10) and tourist eating at smaller tables (2-4).  No more carving your duck tableside, but more like near your table and then they bring the cut up duck to you your table.  When this happens your duck really isn’t hot, more like warm at best.  If you want appetizers first don’t order the duck until you’re ready because once you order the duck it’s coming to you right away.  The weather was hot outside so they keep the restaurant so “COLD”, bring a sweater.   Was I disappointed, a little-but it was good and a fun night.

Got back to the hotel just inside the door, thunder storm hit, lucky us!  Easter Sunday tomorrow so we’re having brunch here at the hotel in the Oyster & Wine restaurant, they say it’s one of the best.  Reservations are a must; we made them a while back.  They make you give a non-refundable deposit at the time you reserve a table.

Spring Deer Sign #2.jpg

Duck Carved.jpg

Duck Carving #3.jpg

• Like 3

We are ready to leave for LHR in an hour or so and just catching up with one or two things, including the "Bon Voyage" email from Regent - apparently in 7 days we'll set sail from Tokyo 😊  (Actually, we just had another email to remind us that in 365 days we'll be leaving Abu Dhabi too - oh my, how our diary is filling up 😎)

@ronrick1943 if you fancy something seafoody, then I'd recommend the Nanhai No 1 restaurant in iSquare just off Nathan Road - good contemporary food, not at all touristy and great views of the harbour (get your hotel to book you a window table).  We've never been disappointed.  Enjoy the rest of your time in HK, have fun in BKK and we'll see you on board!

Edited by Gilly
(ETA forgot to say that Nanhai has an outdoor terrace too, if it's a nice evening)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Gilly said:

We are ready to leave for LHR in an hour or so and just catching up with one or two things, including the "Bon Voyage" email from Regent - apparently in 7 days we'll set sail from Tokyo 😊  (Actually, we just had another email to remind us that in 365 days we'll be leaving Abu Dhabi too - oh my, how our diary is filling up 😎)

@ronrick1943 if you fancy something seafoody, then I'd recommend the Nanhai No 1 restaurant in iSquare just off Nathan Road - good contemporary food, not at all touristy and great views of the harbour (get your hotel to book you a window table).  We've never been disappointed.  Enjoy the rest of your time in HK, have fun in BKK and we'll see you on board!

Got this to late as we leave in the morning for Thailand, thanks.  Save travel and see you on the ship.  

For Easter Sunday it was starting to clear up.  You can see Hong Kong Island a little clearer this morning.  I believe the sun is trying to break out.  Our plan for today is to go to Easter Brunch upstairs in the Oyster & Wine Bar.  Then take it easy the rest of the day.  I hope to get to Lane Crawford which is a department store here in HK.  Like we need to shop!

Well what I thought was a special Easter Brunch happens every Sunday at this hotel.  If you want to have the brunch you must book ahead as they sell out every Sunday.  They do not turn tables, once you book that is your table for the afternoon.  We decided to go early around 12:30PM to avoid the crowd, we’re we wrong.  We walked into a full restaurant.  Odd was that you never had to wait in a line for food at the buffet sections.

I’ll show you the brunch menu.  It's buffet except for your main entrée(s).  Now the buffet has tomahawk roast, rack of lamb, a full roasted pig, real tempura shrimp, freshly made steak tartare, salads, seafood all kinds; fresh oysters, sushi, very high end cold cuts, fresh pasta, egg dishes and more so why have a entree?????  Plus a dessert bar too no end and made to order soufflés.

On the buffet they only had small amounts of food, staff always refilling for freshest and never running out of anything and bring what you want to your table like Regent.

We started with our mocktails, Mango Magic and a Mock Mojito!

They did serve nice champagne to drink!  They used jeroboam’s size champagne!  Very impressive!  

What you have to know about Chinese and buffets, they will eat like there is no tomorrow and if the drink is included they will drink.  Brunch was from 12 pm to 3 pm included all the champagne you wanted to drink.  Chinese will stay till ends at 3 pm.

We had sous Vide Chicken Breast seared foie gras, wild mushrooms, farro, French beans.  They forgot to add the foie gras so they served it separately.  All delish!

And the Boston Lobster Bouillabaisse! So good, still don’t know how we ate so much.  I think it’s all timing, we didn’t last the full 3 hours.

Boy in the old days when we both consumed alcohol we would drank our share of Champagne.  Was this worth the price, yes!

Headed back to the room for a afternoon nap.  After the nap we went for a walk to shop for what who knows????

We have to pack as we are leaving tomorrow for Thailand.  We’ll be flying Thai Airlines, so more about that tomorrow .

Ship Departure.jpg

Mango Magic.jpg

Mock Mojito.jpg

Jereboam Champagne.jpg

menu.jpg

Menu 2.jpg

oysters.jpg

sushi.jpg

Oh, wow!   We were just at the Intercontinental in Hong Kong and noticed the same thing.   Throngs of people for tea, brunch, etc.    Our guide said that it is a Chinese tradition to eat til you drop.  On the mainland, a legacy of the hardships during the cultural revolution was that family greetings changed.  Instead of “how are you?”,  It became “have you eaten today?”

19 minutes ago, ROLLTIDE2 said:

Your food pictures are incredible.  I hope you’ll post lots of them from the cruise.  You really have a gift for photographing food.

Really?  But we will, it only took us a full cruise to learn how to post them, didn't know it was that easy😊

We are now here in Tokyo, comfortably settled in our home from home after a slightly eventful arrival.  Our BA Dreamliner came in to land as usual but instead of touching down, it took off again.  Everyone went very quiet.  We circled around again for ten minutes or so before the Captain came on to announce that he had to abort our landing because a passenger was in one of the washrooms and the aircraft wasnt secured to land.  Hmmm. A first for us...

Tokyo is warm and sunny/hazy and we will shortly get out and enjoy the city.  

Though I will follow along here (of course) my photos and stories will be on my blog at

http://www.elegantsufficiency.org  as usual.

@ronrick1943 sorry I was a bit slow with the restaurant rec....you seem to have managed quite nicely though 😉

• Like 2