Royal Genie - Advice

Hi all - I just returned from an RCL cruise with a genie, and we were extremely underwhelmed to say the least.  I’ve been debating discussing this with RCL as we paid a significant premium for the upgrade.  From reading these boards, we got almost nothing similar to what I’ve seen as discussed.   But, I want to make sure I’m not crazy.

Saw the genie for about 4 mins on the first day, never asked what we or our children wants to do.  This was a continual theme throughout the cruise.  

We continually had to refer to the cruise compass and suggest activities that might be of interest to us.

Never informed us of the sail away party

Forgot about a requested birthday celebration for my husband 

Genie was constantly confused by the schedule, double booking us when we requested something 

On the 2nd day we inquired about breakfast (since it seems like most genies coordinate delivery.  Told us that’s it’s really easy to order off the TV in room.

And I don’t what to sound like a spoiled jerk, but never once offered the morning Starbucks delivery (we only found out it was free because we went there ourselves and weren’t charged)

I could go on and on, but essentially it was nothing special.  We planned the entire cruise for ourselves.  Not one special activity or outing.  I only found out about some by asking other families with genies what sort of stuff they were doing.  Looking back, the genie planned dinners for us (and even gave us a hard time when we wanted to change...his preset agenda took none of our requests into account)

needless to say we were extremely disappointed, and I’m very disappointed I paid a premium for it.  Am I crazy here or not?  I’d like to discuss it further with RCL.

It does appear your genie did not provide you with the "The Royal Genie is the ultimate insider, crafting exclusive one-of-a kind experiences, all designed around the Star Class suite guest." experience. However, did you discuss this with the Hotel Director while on board? I think they are the people to whom the genies report. I am not sure what could be done at this point.

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 2

Wow totally not what I received on the Oasis.  RCCL sent a survey review once I returned home.  If you get one I would be upfront and honest.  I do know they read them since I received a call to review my comments.

I have had 2 genies in the past year and from what you describe it does sound like he didn't do his job.  We told our genie about my daughters birthday and the room was decorated with banner, she received a gift, and a birthday cake was delivered.  All without being asked for.  As for activities, she planned all dinners and shows and for activities, she suggested the parade and ice skating as she knew my daughter might be interested.  Other than that, flyers were in the welcome party with invites to sail away party.  Starbucks is no longer allowed to be delivered, but our genies did inform us all that was included.  She also asked us what snacks we would like to see in the room, and met with us at dinner most nights, called daily, and popped in to ask if we needed anything.  I would have definitely had a conversation while on the cruise.  Did they reserve seats for you at the shows?  Ask to bring you snacks?

I'm sorry that happened to you! Yes Star class is expensive. We have been lucky enough to have WONDERFUL service. Last time we had a genie, someone with a different genie was receiving subpar service. I spoke to our genie on their behalf about the matter. The very next day the people told us their genie apologized & made a 180 degree turn around. After that their service was as it should have been. Our genie spoke with their supervisor & clearly took care of it. If you give Star class another try please, don't wait to speak up. They are serious about the level of service expected! In the future a simple conversation with a supervisor or even the concierge should help IMHO. If you don't mind me asking who was your genie? I hope you give it another try. Once you have a good genie you will be blown away!

1 hour ago, amybk27 said:

I have had 2 genies in the past year and from what you describe it does sound like he didn't do his job.  We told our genie about my daughters birthday and the room was decorated with banner, she received a gift, and a birthday cake was delivered.  All without being asked for.  As for activities, she planned all dinners and shows and for activities, she suggested the parade and ice skating as she knew my daughter might be interested.  Other than that, flyers were in the welcome party with invites to sail away party.  Starbucks is no longer allowed to be delivered, but our genies did inform us all that was included.  She also asked us what snacks we would like to see in the room, and met with us at dinner most nights, called daily, and popped in to ask if we needed anything.  I would have definitely had a conversation while on the cruise.  Did they reserve seats for you at the shows?  Ask to bring you snacks?

Who said Starbucks is not offered each morning for delivery to your suite? We just sailed Symphony in Dec '18 and we had SBux delivered each morning. Room service brings it. You or the Genie will put in your "standing order" with room service and they are the department to bring those items to your suite as per your requested delivery times/days. Anything food/beverage, including from any specialty restaurant that's included in the Star Class benefits can be delivered in suite.

Edited by flyguyjake
added specialty restaurant
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, erin_rifkin said:

Hi all - I just returned from an RCL cruise with a genie, and we were extremely underwhelmed to say the least.  I’ve been debating discussing this with RCL as we paid a significant premium for the upgrade.  From reading these boards, we got almost nothing similar to what I’ve seen as discussed.   But, I want to make sure I’m not crazy.

Saw the genie for about 4 mins on the first day, never asked what we or our children wants to do.  This was a continual theme throughout the cruise.  

We continually had to refer to the cruise compass and suggest activities that might be of interest to us.

Genie was constantly confused by the schedule, double booking us when we requested something 

On the 2nd day we inquired about breakfast (since it seems like most genies coordinate delivery.  Told us that’s it’s really easy to order off the TV in room.

And I don’t what to sound like a spoiled jerk, but never once offered the morning Starbucks delivery (we only found out it was free because we went there ourselves and weren’t charged)

I could go on and on, but essentially it was nothing special.  We planned the entire cruise for ourselves.  Not one special activity or outing.  I only found out about some by asking other families with genies what sort of stuff they were doing.  Looking back, the genie planned dinners for us (and even gave us a hard time when we wanted to change...his preset agenda took none of our requests into account)

needless to say we were extremely disappointed, and I’m very disappointed I paid a premium for it.  Am I crazy here or not?  I’d like to discuss it further with RCL.

That's really sad because you deserved far better since you in fact paid for it. I would call and ask to speak with a supervisor. You should not have to beg for Star Class service. Just wrong.

Is the genie a mandatory thing for the ones who book suites? We would love to book one suite for one special cruise, but we don't want that kind of service, we love to plan the things for ourselves and we don't want someone else to book the things for us or to be around every time (yes, I know, we are the exception :classic_biggrin: )

1 hour ago, framboesa said:

Is the genie a mandatory thing for the ones who book suites? We would love to book one suite for one special cruise, but we don't want that kind of service, we love to plan the things for ourselves and we don't want someone else to book the things for us or to be around every time (yes, I know, we are the exception :classic_biggrin: )

The Genies are only on Oasis and Quantum class ships at the highest level of suite.

Erin, email Micheal Bailey’s Office and explain your situation.  I’m not sure of what will come of it but it will get back to the head of the Genie program. On our second Genie sailing we had issues. I met with the head of GS on day 2 after 3 rather large things went wrong on day 1.  When we returned I emailed MB’s office and heard back from them.  Nothing came from the survey response. 

Be factual and not emotional.  Explain your case and what you think your resolve might be. Be logical in any requests.  I didn’t ask for anything except for my next Genie sailings to be exceptional and 4 since then have been.

Good luck and hope it goes well. 

21 hours ago, erin_rifkin said:

You need a nanny!👍

OP you definitely did not receive the kind of experience that you paid for.  It's unfortunate that you did not speak with someone while you were still onboard and have the situation rectified.

On my last SC cruise I had a couple of disappointments dealing with the suite but nothing to do with the Genie and Customer Relations called me 3 separate times to discuss it so I imagine they will be in touch with you about this.  Just document all of your concerns in the post cruise review and it will go up the chain quickly (or should).

I would also be interested in knowing the name of your Genie.  I have never had any concern about a Genie prior to boarding (I've never had a bad one !) but I would be concerned if I knew I was getting the Genie you had on this cruise.

19 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

Who said Starbucks is not offered each morning for delivery to your suite? We just sailed Symphony in Dec '18 and we had SBux delivered each morning. Room service brings it. You or the Genie will put in your "standing order" with room service and they are the department to bring those items to your suite as per your requested delivery times/days. Anything food/beverage, including from any specialty restaurant that's included in the Star Class benefits can be delivered in suite.

Our Genie had told us that they weren't allowed to do that.  I was on the Allure and the Oasis.  

I'm sorry your experience was not Fabulous- It should have been considering what you spent for it. Each Genie is different. I have had quite a few. Some of them are truly "magical", some not so much. Some will go way above and beyond the expected, while others do just what is required. Some of the Genies have been friendly, caring and lovely while others have been stiff, reserved,  and impersonal. I have learned more with each sailing  and now express to the Genie what I expect from them.  Also, letting them know that you have had other Genies and what your experience was with them seems to provide more personalized service.  There are a couple of Genies I would love to have again and one or two I could do without. Its unfortunate that we don't have a true collection of Genie reviews and that it is near impossible to request a certain Genie for an upcoming cruise.  

That being said- I would definitely find a way to express your disappointment with your Genie service with R.C. because right after you got off the ship -another family got that same Genie!

We are about to depart on our first cruise with a Genie and I'm curious if there is a list of them out there somewhere and feedback on each.  We are really excited and have been emailing our Genie, but knowing who is on what ship and what experiences people have had would be great.  Kind of like how the CDs are kept track of.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:30 AM, queenfrostine22 said:

Its unfortunate that we don't have a true collection of Genie reviews and that it is near impossible to request a certain Genie for an upcoming cruise.  

But you can request a certain genie.  We have done that with the Anthem.  When you get your survey from RCI the last question askes for any extra information and that is where you would put down the name of the genie you would like.  If the genie is on the boat at that time they will honor your request.

erin_rifkin    I am so sorry you had such a terrible experience with your genie.  We actually looked up what a genie is suppose to do and for our first 2 cruises with genies they did not celebrate a birthday we had mentioned.  The first genie was stand-offish but pleasant and we had a good time.  The second was much friendlier and looking back did more for us that we had the first time.  Our third genie has been the best, he is Derick Martis on the Anthem.  He booked everything including dinners, activities (he had us on the North Star for every stop and any other time we would have wanted, bumper cars every time they were scheduled, iFly above and beyond, and anything else we wanted to do).  He had the room decorated for the birthdays we celebrated.  Plus getting us off at each stop if we were in a hurry.  I know there is a link for current genies but that is outdated and it is hard to keep up with some of them as they move from ship to ship.  One thing we did get was an email address from our genie, not the RCI one, so I can email before a cruise to see if he is available or who he would recommend. Like some one has stated all genie's are different and as we sail with genies our wants and needs change.  We studied what the ship had to offer and what speciality restaurants there were and when we heard from the genie we knew what we wanted to do and where we wanted to eat.  After getting the schedule from him we changed what we thought we wanted to do and made sure it was changed on the revised schedule.  By knowing the venues and activities available you can be more proactive on what you want on your schedule.  I hope you give having a genie another chance.