Travel to Cuba coming to an end?

arasg

Corinnv.....

Did Royal Caribbean offer you any onboard credit or future Cruise credit as they are missing Havana? I know, no need to tell me that they could change ports at any time. That I am well aware of. I am just curious to see if they are doing anything to lessen the blow of missing Havana and going to Nassau.

I would not count on it and would find an itinerary that you want to go on or cancel.  I doubt the cruise lines after they get this all figured out are going to want to change up again and go to Cuba ....it was a great money maker for them but too unstable of a situation.

I am on the 6/15 8 day RCL Empress which was 3 days in Cuba.  Now they swapped for St Croix, St Thomas and Puerto Rico.  The CSR did not know - I found out looking at the Planner and told them.  After sitting on the phone I was told to wait until the official announcement as they had potential offers for people booked to Cuba.

I have no interest in going on a tiny boat to these ports that I have been to many times.  They only one of interest is Puerto Rico and we do not dock until 3 pm so there really is no time to do anything.  We will be staying home for sure - the question now is will we get any refund. 

They do not have to but since Carnival offered full refunds I think they had better think hard of what to do.  I also priced out basically the same cruise and it was 1/3 the cost of what I paid to go to Cuba on a bigger ship with bigger rooms and more amenities. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, travelwide said:

Corinnv.....

Did Royal Caribbean offer you any onboard credit or future Cruise credit as they are missing Havana? I know, no need to tell me that they could change ports at any time. That I am well aware of. I am just curious to see if they are doing anything to lessen the blow of missing Havana and going to Nassau.

They've not announced anything generally, but they did some pretty good things for the passengers that were sailing today (maybe tomorrow, as well).  They only have the two ships sailing to Cuba, so they covered what they need to for the immediate moment.  Yesterday's email stated that they would give those of us booked on later cruises more information by 6pm EDT.

26 minutes ago, Jzx1103 said:

Don't matter, cruiselines are already changing their itineraries beginning with today's sailings.

Right, I meant just because they gave warning on 4/19 doesn't help those who booked prior to April.  Just responding to the person who was saying there was "notice" 🙂 .

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, travelwide said:

Corinnv.....

Nothing has been offered to me yet.  I found out by looking at my cruise page. They renamed it a Key West, Nassau cruise. I don't even know if it is an overnight in Nassau as the rest of the page still has Havana listed. It's 5 days... They could get to Cozumel.  That is what my family was hoping for.  And as another person posted, Nassau as a substitute for Cuba is a joke. Been there, done that... no need to go back. I plan on calling this evening and ask if we can change to another itinerary. 

We are booked on the Sensation for September 8th. I just called carnival. They told me I have until June 19th to cancel with a full refund( I have paid in full). They said they havent scheduled the new ports yet for August through December. June and July will be Nassau, Ocho Rios and Cozumel.  If we choose not to cancel they will give us $100 onboard credit to use. If we just decide to change ships we will receive $50.00 per person onboard credit. 

1 minute ago, ForeverAfter said:

Our August cruise has been renamed Key West & Perfect Day Cruise. I assume this means we'll be going to CocoCay. The itinerary has not changed yet.

Im looking at mine right now (also august).  its a mess - i posted an image above.

3 minutes ago, shirleygr said:

My Key West and Havana cruise is now KW and Nassau. I dislike Nassau and would have preferred CocoCay. Hopefully RC will offer some compensation. 

This really sucks. I don’t like Nassau either. I really hope they offer some sort of compensation. There is no way I would have paid that money to go to Nassau. 😡😡😡

Just now, MsMills79 said:

This really sucks. I don’t like Nassau either. I really hope they offer some sort of compensation. There is no way I would have paid that money to go to Nassau. 😡😡😡

Agreed. I checked my trip insurance and itinerary change is not covered or I would likely cancel outright.

1 minute ago, shirleygr said:

Agreed. I checked my trip insurance and itinerary change is not covered or I would likely cancel outright.

Nope it’s not covered with insurance so we are stuck. And I bet they not gonna offer refunds like carnival did. If they don’t offer something this will be the first and last time I cruise with them. I get it’s not their fault but it’s not our fault either. So what’s that two days in Nassau? Like what the hell is there to do for two days? 

11 minutes ago, shirleygr said:

My Key West and Havana cruise is now KW and Nassau. I dislike Nassau and would have preferred CocoCay. Hopefully RC will offer some compensation. 

I agree - not a fan of Nassau and have not gotten out there my last few times.  I would think that RCI doesn't HAVE TO, although it would be nice. 

Still no word from NCL...only that our 7/15 NCL Sun cruise won't be going to Havana! I realize they don't have to offer anything at all, but I'm praying that they offer some kind of OBC, some refund for the change in ports or do the "right" thing as it seems Carnival has done. I've never sailed with NCL before, I guess the way they handle this will make me decide if I ever sail with them again!

i posted higher up - my days look a mess on the cruise planner at this point.  I am sure not gonna be too happy about Nassau but even less happy with no ports at all on The Majesty.  I mean, i like her she is super cute but come on now!  At least if we dock someplace, some people are gonna get off!  All those days at sea - me and everyone else is gonna need a drink package and I might have to start smoking *again*.  :)

image.png.5ee0e17765ab32985bc86b8b937a3f32.png

We're also on an RCL cruise that has been renamed from "Best of Cuba" to "Western Caribbean."  The ports have changed from Grand Cayman, Cienfuegos, and Havana to Key West, Costa Maya, and Cozumel.  That's something like buying a trip to Athens, Paris, and Rome only to discover that you're going to those towns in Texas.

However, considering what RCL has offered to the passengers on today's and tomorrow's sailings, and considering what Carnival has done for its passengers, and considering that the cruise lines were caught as flatfooted about this as the rest of us, we are content to sit tight for a day or two and see what RCL comes up with.  PR is very important in this industry.  If RCL offers us the same deal they offered to passengers sailing today and tomorrow, we'll probably take the deal and make lemonade out of these lemons.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

However, considering what RCL has offered to the passengers on today's and tomorrow's sailings, and considering what Carnival has done for its passengers, and considering that the cruise lines were caught as flatfooted about this as the rest of us, we are content to sit tight for a day or two and see what RCL comes up with.  PR is very important in this industry.  If RCL offers us the same deal they offered to passengers sailing today and tomorrow, we'll probably take the deal and make lemonade out of these lemons.

I have not heard what RCL has offered today's cruisers yet. Where can I find that?

Thanks!

Just now, shirleygr said:

My cruise planner is still showing Havana so I don't even know when we will be in Nassau. I hope they haven't changed our KW day - I have a dolphin watch and snorkel excursion booked.😦

If I were you, I wouldn't change anything until you have to in order to avoid a penalty.  We looked at our reservation earlier this morning and noticed that the ports had changed like I mentioned above.  I just looked at it again to try and get a little more organized, and the order of ports already had changed.  As reported by others, the cruise planner still is a mess.  I can only imagine what great efforts are going on over there, trying to clean up this mess.  I do not envy that task.

We're going to wait and see what happens when the dust settles in a day or two (or so).

The good news, if any, is that we care so little about some of these ports that we aren't concerned about shifting spa appointments!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

We're also on an RCL cruise that has been renamed from "Best of Cuba" to "Western Caribbean."  The ports have changed from Grand Cayman, Cienfuegos, and Havana to Key West, Costa Maya, and Cozumel.  That's something like buying a trip to Athens, Paris, and Rome only to discover that you're going to those towns in Texas.

Lmao @ your comment about going to those towns in Texas. But you hit the nail on the head. It’s an insult for real. Mine says Nassau now. I would rather go to Mexico than Nassau. I’m sick of the Bahamas, I really am.