San Francisco information

3 hours ago, Big Tiger Fan said:

Just read comments with interest. We need a hotel for 2 nights in May before an Alaska cruise. Parc 55 is on our short list so post was very helpful. What can you Hilton fans tell me about the Hilton San Francisco Union Square? What about weather in May? Still cool? We’re going to the beach over here in May. Will have to hang on to cool weather clothes for this trip.

Hate, hate, hate the SF Hilton Union Square, I'll never return (bad service and attitude), love, love, love Parc 55 (good service and attitude).

SF is never, ever very warm. "One of the coldest winters I ever spent was summer in San Francisco". Not much has changed.

Edited by scottca075
  • Haha 1

Thanks for your reply. It looks as if Parc 55 is going to be the winner but let me ask if you’ve tried the Intercontinental Marc Hopkins. It’s also on the choices we’ve been given. Not sure about Nob Hill location. DH and I are not able to walk around very much an definitely need to avoid those SF hills. 

Thanks so much for your help.

Loved the quote about your summers. I was at a rest area on I95 a few years ago and passed a woman from a location to our north as she emerged from her vehicle. It was a warm! summer day. Her comment to her travel companions. “It’s hotter than Hades out here.” She was probably correct.

26 minutes ago, Big Tiger Fan said:

Thanks for your reply. It looks as if Parc 55 is going to be the winner but let me ask if you’ve tried the Intercontinental Marc Hopkins. It’s also on the choices we’ve been given. Not sure about Nob Hill location. DH and I are not able to walk around very much an definitely need to avoid those SF hills.

I've "worked" in SF for about 30 years now, but live in So Cal, so I've tried just about any major hotel you can name. I love the Mark Hopkins, it is an SF classic (as are the Fairmont, Stanford Court and Huntington Hotel). None are "walkable" to Union Square or many spots, except for the young & healthy. When I stay up on Nob Hill I Uber everyplace.

If I had to choose between the Mark Hopkins and Parc 55 and had no plans to walk, as in to shopping and sights, I'd choose the Mark. If I had the ability and desire to walk, but not much more than a mile total, I might choose Parc 55.

Hope that is helpful.

"I left my heart in San Francisco
High on a hill, it calls to me
To be where little cable cars
Climb halfway to the stars!
And the morning fog will chill the air"

The Mark Hopkins is at max elevation for those little cable cars :classic_smile:

Great picture Scott.

Here's another perspective on Google Maps...  The Parc 55 is 46 feet elevation.  Marc Hopkins is 282 feet in a half mile away.  I refuse to do an additional luggage drag climbing 286 feet in that half mile from the Powell Street BART station.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/37.785345,-122.4086887/InterContinental+Mark+Hopkins+San+Francisco,+999+California+St,+San+Francisco,+CA+94108,+United+States/@37.7879742,-122.4110453,16.44z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d-122.4086987!2d37.7853977!3s0x8085808f6733cb05:0xffe493eb70255aa2!1m5!1m1!1s0x8085808dabd98b19:0xcff515fee06c6dd1!2m2!1d-122.4101366!2d37.7915187!3e1!5m1!1e1

Doing a guess date of May 22 on booking.com for a nightly rate.

• $183 Parc 55
  • $183 Hilton San Francisco Union Square
  • $206 Marc Hopkins

As a value traveller, I would likely settle with the Parc 55.  Easy BART access from the airport, no need for a taxi or bus to go up a hill.

22 hours ago, xlxo said:

Great picture Scott.

Here's another perspective on Google Maps...  The Parc 55 is 46 feet elevation.  Marc Hopkins is 282 feet in a half mile away.  I refuse to do an additional luggage drag climbing 286 feet in that half mile from the Powell Street BART station.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/37.785345,-122.4086887/InterContinental+Mark+Hopkins+San+Francisco,+999+California+St,+San+Francisco,+CA+94108,+United+States/@37.7879742,-122.4110453,16.44z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d-122.4086987!2d37.7853977!3s0x8085808f6733cb05:0xffe493eb70255aa2!1m5!1m1!1s0x8085808dabd98b19:0xcff515fee06c6dd1!2m2!1d-122.4101366!2d37.7915187!3e1!5m1!1e1

Doing a guess date of May 22 on booking.com for a nightly rate.

• $183 Parc 55
  • $183 Hilton San Francisco Union Square
  • $206 Marc Hopkins

As a value traveller, I would likely settle with the Parc 55.  Easy BART access from the airport, no need for a taxi or bus to go up a hill.

We are staying the the Petite Auberge.   I know nothing about it but it looked cozy.  

Dianne & Richie from Long Island NY

2 hours ago, bafinegan said:

Just booked the Hilton Doubletree Inn San Francisco Airport North for $177.56.  We are flying in the day before and will book a car to take us to the cruise terminal. 

That is a pretty miserable location. There is absolutely nothing else around it; no place to eat, no access to public transportation.

Staying by the airport is fine if you are looking to save money, but there are much better locations, mostly to the south and west of SFO.

19 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

That is a pretty miserable location. There is absolutely nothing else around it; no place to eat, no access to public transportation.

Staying by the airport is fine if you are looking to save money, but there are much better locations, mostly to the south and west of SFO.

flight arrives late and we only wanted a decent place to sleep.  This will do just fine.  :)

7 hours ago, bafinegan said:

flight arrives late and we only wanted a decent place to sleep.  This will do just fine.  🙂

I am glad it will suite your purposes, but without qualifiers like, "our flight arrives late" and "we only wanted a decent place to sleep" others might take that as a recommendation for the DoubleTree North over other, better located hotels that meet their needs.

The OP has come and gone, but others have jumped in since looking for advice for well located hotels. The DoubleTree North isn't anyplace I'd recommend except in narrow circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the information.  Just booked May 11th Alaska cruise and planning on 2 days visiting San Francisco.  Reading this thread we booked Parc 55 as I too am a Hilton Honors member.  

Helps to get advice from others!  Anyone come to the Cleveland area I would do the same.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 6:04 AM, bafinegan said:

Just booked the Hilton Doubletree Inn San Francisco Airport North for $177.56.  We are flying in the day before and will book a car to take us to the cruise terminal.  

Baf

Don't know the cost but we just flew in/out of SFO and they just opened the Grand Hyatt in the terminal.  

• Like 1

OMG, just returned from a weekend in The City to see one of the final performances of Beach Blanket Babylon.  If anybody is going to be in SF before it ends on NYE you must try to see it.  We had great weather, crystal clear, and warm by SF standards.  Also dinner at the Stinking Rose was fantastic and walking distance between the theater and Hilton Financial District where we stayed.