Baltic cruise plus free time?

Hey All,

A little background. Having never been out of the US and Canada before my wife and I took our first trip to Europe last fall at the request of our daughter and son-in-law who were living in Hamburg. I bought round trip tickets to Heathrow and rented a car to drive to Hamburg and back and did so but not without a LOT of stress at first but did really in the end enjoy it. Stayed out of the big cities in smaller towns and enjoyed it. I enjoy car truck and agriculture stuff. My wife art. Eindhoven was a favorite - DAF museum and an VanGogh in Neunen plus out of the way places in England France Belgium and my daughter's place in Hamburg.

Thinking of going Stockholm Helsinki Tallinn maybe St Petersburg. Can we go to St Petersburg on Canadian passports? Anyway I'd like to go to the Scania museum 40kms or so SW of Stockholm and the Agricultural museum in Loimaa Finland north of the Turku Helsinki highway and the national park near Helsinki for photography and Porvoo in addition to all the "normal" sights. I suspect a "normal" cruise won't allow enough time so I was thinking about one of the "one-way" cruises - Stockholm ending in Tallinn and retracing our steps back to Stockholm on our own to see the sights we missed. We are older and my wife less mobile than I so I might day trip to a few things. We are thinking September.

As an aside I am over half Finnish and so do have family in Finland near Oulu I think. Toying with trying to make contact. As I have one cousin of my father old enough to know who they are

Anyway is one way cruise return on our own to stockholm doable? Given we would use  public transportation? Or is doing this not at all practical.

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions.

-Ed-

3 hours ago, Forester2 said:

Thinking of going Stockholm Helsinki Tallinn maybe St Petersburg. Can we go to St Petersburg on Canadian passports? 

Yes, the ferry is an option for Stockholm/Tallinn/Helsinki (Tallink/Silja Line). 

You can NOT visit Russia on a Canadian visa - you must either: 

procure a Russian tourist visa

or

book a cruise that ports in St. Petersburg in order to take advantage of the "visa free" touring options (note that you must both enter and depart St. Petersburg via ship).

3 hours ago, Forester2 said:

Can we go to St Petersburg on Canadian passports

Yes, by ferry. The Helsinki St Petersburg ‘St Peter Line’ ferry route connects Finland with Russia. Currently there is just the 1 ferry company operating this ferry service, St Peter Line. The crossing operates up to 3 times each week with sailing durations from around 14 hours

21 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Yes, by ferry. The Helsinki St Petersburg ‘St Peter Line’ ferry route connects Finland with Russia. Currently there is just the 1 ferry company operating this ferry service, St Peter Line. The crossing operates up to 3 times each week with sailing durations from around 14 hours

Thanks hallasm - that's right - I forgot about the ferry. One must book the St. Petersburg city tour through the ferry line and then one is free to roam about at will until the departure of your ferry.

Edited by dogs4fun