Isafjordur and Dynjandi falls

CLOU

We currently have a rental car booked in Isafjordur in Iceland and planned on driving to Dynjandi falls.  However, I now see that the last forty kilometers or so is on a gravel road.  Does anyone know if we can drive this in a standard car, and not a 4x4 in June.  Also, if so, how difficult is the drive and about how long should it take?  I am starting to wonder if seeing the falls is worth it.  The ship  has an excursion to the falls, but it is long, six and one half hours, and expensive.  We generally avoid ship's tours and go off on our own, preferring the freedom and flexibility, and in this case it would be significantly cheaper, since the cost of the rental car would be divided between two couples.  Any information from anyone who has fone this drive would be appreciated.

My wife and I were in Isafjordur last summer.  A small group of us from our Roll Call visited Dynjandi on a private tour in a van driven by a local driver.  Early in the drive you must go through a one-lane tunnel that is several miles long, with two-way traffic.  There are pull offs inside, and you have to know who has the right of way.  That's the least of it (although I thought the tunnel was awesome).  The unpaved road you are talking about goes up and down the side of a mountain, with no guard rails and steep drop offs.  It was pouring rain (which can happen any day in Iceland) and, quite frankly, a bit terrifying.  I'm glad we weren't driving.

enhance

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

Edited by Turtles06

3 hours ago, CLOU said:

Thanks for the reply.  That's what I feared.  Do you remeber the name of the private guide and were you happy with him or her?

It was Wild Westfjords.  There were a number of vans, and from discussions after the tour, people had varying experiences depending on who their driver & guide was (some had a single driver/guide if there weren't enough folks in the van for both).

https://www.wildwestfjords.com/

The road is bumpy and the turns are a bit scary, but it is well enough maintained that a sedan with a higher clearance than average should be sufficient, no need for a 4x4, unless you are filling it with 4 or 5 good sized adults who will weigh a sedan down.IMG_2590.thumb.JPG.7f600b7d047f37d962fdd4694e2dace9.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Highly recommend a trip to this area. Wonderful sights on way to falls. When you get to the falls, don't forget to stare at the beautiful bay just opposite of the falls. We spent more time staring at it, than at the falls.

13 hours ago, oceanlovinmama said:

I’ll be here in early June...what type of clothing would be appropriate? I don’t want to get too crazy but I don’t want to be cold and wet.  I was going to bring a light jacket and raincoat, would that suffice?

Possibly not. Google is your friend

https://wakeupreykjavik.com/visit-iceland-in-june-things-to-do-average-weather-midnight-sun/

The thing about the weather in Iceland is that it can change rapidly. Layers are a good idea, and you should be prepared for rain and wind. The day we were in Isafjordur last August was not only pouring rain, but the rain was sideways. We were glad we had rain pants and waterproof shoes (there and everywhere else in Iceland). 

Could be 40s and raining

Could be 70 and sunny.

As long as you have clothes for each end of the spectrum, and you can check the conditions and forecast no more than 24 hours ahead of time, you'll be well prepared