Is port side a better view cruising New Zealand??

Rondo

We just booked a NZ cruise on Ovation of the Seas for Oct. 2020. We booked a balcony on the port side. Is this the better view leaving Sydney and cruising up the New Zealand coast line? Or does it matter?

3 hours ago, Rondo said:

We just booked a NZ cruise on Ovation of the Seas for Oct. 2020. We booked a balcony on the port side. Is this the better view leaving Sydney and cruising up the New Zealand coast line? Or does it matter?

Port side or left side,you will see the opera house from your balcony.the first and last time you open your balcony door you will have one of the best views in Sydney.

As for NZ ,ships go around it both ways?

Which is your itinerary,also which deck?

4 hours ago, Rondo said:

Sounds like a good start to our cruise! We will be heading north in NZ..Dunedin to Bay of Island.  Thanks for answering!

So that’s anticlockwise that’s perfect you will go into Milford sound,turn around and travel close along the coast near fiord land national park and into two other fiords.Also coming into the bay of islands is quite spectacular on the land side.

I’ve been on ovation 5 times and the forward elevators aren’t a busy as the rear elevators.But they still get busy.

For me I would prefer deck 13 or deck 6 forward.That way you can avoid the elevators if you want a cup of coffee or such.

just duck up a flight of stairs to the solarium or down to cafe promenade and sorentos.

deck 13 you are high up or 6 you have the sound of the ocean which is fantastic in the middle of the night.

I appreciate your responses! Looks like I made a good choice with a port side cabin.  Since we’re on Deck 9 we’ll take elevators up and walk down to wherever we need to go. A little exercise is never a bad idea. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

We'll be on HA Noordam in November.  Once we cross from OZ, we'll be sailing from Dunedin north to Auckland (getting off in Milford Sound to do the overnight excursion, then rejoin the ship in Dunedin and continue north).  Do the ships sail close enough to the coastline of NZ to see anything?

Most of the cruising from port to port is at night so there isn't much to see. If you have a sea day before Tauranga you may see some of the coast around East Cape but not close enough to distinguish anything.

Thanks.  However, the sun doesn't set until between 8:30 and 9:00 PM that time of year and we set sail from most ports between 5 and 6 PM (with the exception of Picton sailing to Wellington, when we don't sail until 8:00 PM and Napier sailing to Tauranga when we sail at 2:00 PM).  So will there be things to see along the coastline from the time we set sail until sunset (except when we leave Picton since it's later)?

Edited by zelker

Yes, you will see the coast but not in any detail aprat from just after leaving port. However most of the ports have gorgeous harbours so be sure to enjoy the sailaways, particularly Dunedin (look out for the albatrosses at the heads), and Picton which will have a fairly long transit through the Marlborough Sounds - it would be worth having an early dinner for that. 

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, tiggrbaby said:

So if I am sailing from Auckland to Sydney, it would be best to book a balcony cabin on the starboard side for good views?

Personally I don’t think what you can see if land is generally worth it, but yes if you are going south down the east coast starboard will be land side.

On 5/11/2019 at 11:56 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, you will see the coast but not in any detail aprat from just after leaving port. However most of the ports have gorgeous harbours so be sure to enjoy the sailaways, particularly Dunedin (look out for the albatrosses at the heads), and Picton which will have a fairly long transit through the Marlborough Sounds - it would be worth having an early dinner for that. 

Will you be able to see albatrosses upon entering or leaving the Dunedin port?