Koningsdam lack of internet access

DanL

59 minutes ago, suspaul said:

This is our first cruise with HAL, in looking online in my booking I only see the Premium Internet Package for $167.99 (13 days) or the one day for $23.99,  no other choices.  How do you find the other packages?  Thanks in advance.

That's the rub.  Online you can only purchase the Premium package.  Onboard you can choose from 3 different tiers.  

I agree with Kazu and Rich.  I tried the Premium and was not able to stream or Face Time any better than I could with the middle package.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, suspaul said:

This is our first cruise with HAL, in looking online in my booking I only see the Premium Internet Package for $167.99 (13 days) or the one day for $23.99,  no other choices.  How do you find the other packages?  Thanks in advance.

You wait until you board and buy them.

They only offer the premium package on line right now.  

I’d wait until you are on board and buy the Surf package if you want email and internet or the Social if you just want FB, etc.

Big price difference IMO and the speed is the same.

It seems that HAL does not do any bandwidth throttling when you purchase the Surf package compared to the Premium.   I had the Surf package on a recent cruise on the Eurodam.  I ran Ookla's speed checks and I got varying speeds of 5.5 mb/s and 14 mb/s download.  I had a friend onboard who had the Premium package and he got similar bandwidth speeds.

I bought the premium package the first few times after Holland went to unlimited internet. My last cruise I bought the medium package and saw no real difference.

The following is a common error that people should be aware of when using their own devices : if you are trying to set up your internet and you get a message "INVALID TOKEN" it's very likely that Navigator remembers the cabin number you had from your last cruise and can't persuade the ship that you're still in that cabin! Log out of Navigator and then either set up your account, or if you already have, log in. You shouldn't get that error again.

Edited by Wehwalt

• 2 months later...

We returned last week from 13 nights on the Koningsdam, prior to leaving I could have gotten the premium internet package for $167, once onboard it was $209.95.  Having read less than stellar posts I decided to skip it altogether and used wi-fi in ports to check emails.