Vegetarian vs Lo carb diet selections.

BigCruze

I was looking for information from anyone that has experience the Lo carb menu as well as the vegetarian menu for the MDR. Wanting to know what to expect. Any info too from someone who maybe had the Type 2 diabetes diet. Going on a 8 day Glory May 10th. Thank you in advance. Just want to hear the options. 

Vegetarian options are plentiful, good, and there is a good variety.  We never felt a lack, even when we did B2B and Journey cruises.  If you like Indian, the everyday Indian vegetarian is exceptionally good, and changes even though the description stays the same--it's kind of a chef's choice for the day.  The daily vegetarian option is also good, but when I think back on it, carb heavy.  If you allow fish in your diet, that with the daily vegetable options work out well.  Vegetarian starters are also good, and of course we can get as many of them as we like. 

• Like 1

I'm a  VERY picky vegetarian and carb counter who doesn't like Indian food and haven't been impressed with the other vegetarian selections in the MDR, so seldom go to dinner there. When I do, I usually settle on several sides-the vegetable selections are really good. Beware of the soups-most are made with beef or chicken stock.  I usually stock up on veggies from the buffet throughout the day (bring ziplick bags) to snack on. Needless to say, I've never gone hungry on a cruise. :) 

• Like 1

I know it sounds strange, but I've had my best vegetarian meals on Carnival in the steakhouses.  When we get on board, I confirm my reservation with the steakhouse hostess and tell her I'm a vegetarian.  They always have sent a chef out to talk to me about my meal and they've made me some exceptional dishes.  I think it gives them a chance to branch out and they usually come back out and ask me my opinion.  I've never had as good of treatment in the steakhouse on any other line.  In those, I usually end up with a baked potato and whatever veggie side they offer.  My husband loves his filet and wants to go to the steakhouse at least twice a cruise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MalleyCat said:

I'm a  VERY picky vegetarian and carb counter who doesn't like Indian food and haven't been impressed with the other vegetarian selections in the MDR, so seldom go to dinner there. When I do, I usually settle on several sides-the vegetable selections are really good. Beware of the soups-most are made with beef or chicken stock.  I usually stock up on veggies from the buffet throughout the day (bring ziplick bags) to snack on. Needless to say, I've never gone hungry on a cruise. 🙂

Sounds good thanks about the tip on the zip lock. 

BigCruze...Do contact the Special Needs folks prior to your cruise and then the hostess/maître d' in the MDR upon boarding.  Carnival goes out of it's way to provide good choices for all types of dietary restrictions.

• Like 1

BigCruze I'll be going on the Vista in June... and I'm on a very strict keto diet called Virta- they specialize in Type 2 diabetes reversal... I was not T2D, just borderline, but I did it for the weight loss.  I'm interested to hear others' experience here as well with the keto diet while cruising.

I don't plan on sticking with the diet strictly while I'm on the cruise (eating dinner one night in Cucina del Capitano... HELLO CARB CITY!) but I won't go out of my way to eat unnecessary starchy carbs either. I'd really like to go back to the steakhouse but the biggest issue is going to be that I've reduced my food volume so much I doubt I could eat half of what they give you!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lottacruises said:

Has anyone been brave enough to try the veggie burger from guys?

Yes, it was OK, but nothing special.  I prefer a grilled cheese from the deli or a burrito from Blue Iguana Cantina.    

3 hours ago, MalleyCat said:

They're good and worth the wait.

I have yet to ever have a veggie burger that was "good".  Most are cardboard. Those with flavor have the flavor of whatever herbs and spices were used to try to disguise the nothingness underlying the patty.

On 4/23/2019 at 7:23 AM, fabby50 said:

I know it sounds strange, but I've had my best vegetarian meals on Carnival in the steakhouses.  When we get on board, I confirm my reservation with the steakhouse hostess and tell her I'm a vegetarian.  They always have sent a chef out to talk to me about my meal and they've made me some exceptional dishes.  I think it gives them a chance to branch out and they usually come back out and ask me my opinion.  I've never had as good of treatment in the steakhouse on any other line.  In those, I usually end up with a baked potato and whatever veggie side they offer.  My husband loves his filet and wants to go to the steakhouse at least twice a cruise.

I never knew that the Steakhouse will do something for Vegetarians. I never booked it before because I didn't think I'd be able to have any thing since i'm vegetarian. Thanks for sharing your experience!