Osaka port to Kyoto Station

terry&mike

I'm trying to get my head around taking the train from the cruise port in Osaka at Tempozan Pier, to Kyoto Station. In researching it, there are times where it doesn't seem too difficult to navigate, but I will have a lot of people counting on me to get it right and I've not visited Japan before, so there are times when it seems overwhelming and confusing. 

It will be a Saturday, and we port at 7:00am, and need to meet a tour at Kyoto Station at 9:00am. 

In looking at hyperdia.com there appear to be several options running from around 840 yen to 3200 yen, all taking about an hour - what is the difference in the cost? Is there a reason why we wouldn't take the 840 yen option?

Is the simplest option to buy a Suica card and load it with a certain amount, and use it on all of the trains? If so, I'm thinking we could use this reloadable Suica card for our days in Tokyo at the end of the cruise also.

What would be a reasonable starting amount to load the card with to cover approximately 2 days of travel? If the Suica card is not the simplest way, what is the best way to buy tickets from Osaka to Kyoto, and for the day around Kyoto?

Is it true that the ticket machines only accept cash yen, rather than credit cards?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

I believe you can buy a one-day pass if you are there on a Saturday. That was what we did last November. A very nice gentleman (staff) was by the ticket machine helping travelers get their tickets at the cruise port Osakako Station. We had the Suica card but we purchased the one-day pass for that day. Not sure if that will work for trains going to Kyoto though. We only went to downtown Osaka. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ROCruiser said:

I believe you can buy a one-day pass if you are there on a Saturday. That was what we did last November. A very nice gentleman (staff) was by the ticket machine helping travelers get their tickets at the cruise port Osakako Station. We had the Suica card but we purchased the one-day pass for that day. Not sure if that will work for trains going to Kyoto though. We only went to downtown Osaka. 

Thank you, much appreciated.

You will have to transfer to another station to travel to Kyoto. Shin-Osaka is the Shinkansen station and that is one option but won't be cheap. However I think there are other trains that go to Kyoto from Osaka but I'm not sure where they leave from.  Google maps shows a couple of routes, both about 1.5 hours from the cruise terminal. You have to change trains twice, once on the Osaka metro, and once for the Kyoto line. We went the other way to Himeji last year and had to do that, it was very easy. I'm fairly certain the day pass can only be used in Osaka but you should be able to buy a ticket that will take you right through to Kyoto, especially if you're not using the Shinkansen.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Osaka is my home away from home and I have just clocked up my 20th trip from Australia. The one day pass will be for the Osaka subway and not include the train to Kyoto. The difference in prices is for the difference in trains eg. bullet train (Shinkansen), local train, express train. 

I have to say you might be cutting it short if your ship docks at 7am and you have to meet at 9am at Kyoto station. I only say this as Kyoto station is quite big (make sure you have clear instructions where to meet) and you want to hope that the disembarkation is on time and quick.

It is about a 10 minute walk from where the ship docks to where the subway station is. It is easy to find, especially if you have a look on google maps first. The quickest route would be taking the Shinkansen but will also need changes of several trains as mentioned above. This is also the most expensive means to get there. You will also need to factor in the purchasing of the tickets for time. 

If you want a cheaper way, using the JR rapid service will take a similar amount of time.

Using the trains is quite easy and ticket counters/machines are all in English as well. I would be tempted to take the cheaper option if I was you. Will cut down on how many changes. As I said, make sure you are clear where you need to meet in Kyoto station.

I don't use a Suica card, I just buy the tickets from the machines as I need them.

Hope that helps 🙂 Enjoy Japan, it is amazing!

205688397_ScreenShot2019-05-06at1_37_11pm.png.cc26087e078cca8ebeec9a58b85f769a.png361448037_ScreenShot2019-05-06at1_37_22pm.png.cd9c40db950b5ed6c676fba0c4bc3006.png

• 4 years later...
On 5/6/2019 at 4:42 AM, tsutt35 said:

Osaka is my home away from home and I have just clocked up my 20th trip from Australia. The one day pass will be for the Osaka subway and not include the train to Kyoto. The difference in prices is for the difference in trains eg. bullet train (Shinkansen), local train, express train. 

I have to say you might be cutting it short if your ship docks at 7am and you have to meet at 9am at Kyoto station. I only say this as Kyoto station is quite big (make sure you have clear instructions where to meet) and you want to hope that the disembarkation is on time and quick.

It is about a 10 minute walk from where the ship docks to where the subway station is. It is easy to find, especially if you have a look on google maps first. The quickest route would be taking the Shinkansen but will also need changes of several trains as mentioned above. This is also the most expensive means to get there. You will also need to factor in the purchasing of the tickets for time. 

If you want a cheaper way, using the JR rapid service will take a similar amount of time.

Using the trains is quite easy and ticket counters/machines are all in English as well. I would be tempted to take the cheaper option if I was you. Will cut down on how many changes. As I said, make sure you are clear where you need to meet in Kyoto station.

I don't use a Suica card, I just buy the tickets from the machines as I need them.

Hope that helps 🙂 Enjoy Japan, it is amazing!

205688397_ScreenShot2019-05-06at1_37_11pm.png.cc26087e078cca8ebeec9a58b85f769a.png361448037_ScreenShot2019-05-06at1_37_22pm.png.cd9c40db950b5ed6c676fba0c4bc3006.png

Hi sutt35    Where did you get these times and trains from please , need to find the earlier ones