Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

28 minutes ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

Thank you for sharing these photos. Do you, @Lloyd555 and others here have any guesses what decks these could possibly be? The top one looks to be  a balcony level. Perhaps 7 or 8?

I could very well be wrong but I would say they are the couple pieces Port and Starboard directly behind the one piece bow section by the way they are tapered

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Panda Monium said:

Another view.

20220806_154918.thumb.jpg.1ceb55a35fe36996fa284400ef3578d5.jpg

Based on the slope of these blocks and how many decks of windows we see in this very forward part of the ship, I think Icon may have an X-bow design. That would be a pretty radical look for a ship of this size. Hopefully we'll know soon when the bow blocks appear. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fairsky84 said:

Based on the slope of these blocks and how many decks of windows we see in this very forward part of the ship, I think Icon may have an X-bow design. That would be a pretty radical look for a ship of this size. Hopefully we'll know soon when the bow blocks appear. 

Icon Of The Seas will have a Parabolic Ultra Bow similar to Celebrity's Edge Class ships. It just means that it is bringing something different to Royal Caribbean, which some people will think is ugly, but having seen the renders and the 3D models of the ship, I can confirm that the new bow designed works for the overall design of Icon.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Fairsky84 said:

radical look for a ship of this size

Based on Michael Bailey’s comments and all the secrets behind this build let’s hope it’s truly “revolutionary”. Can’t imagine using a name such as “Icon” and not do something revolutionary and radical. It’s got to be a good looking ship though😀. @Nathan Graveson what say you since you’ve seen some renderings? 😀

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

Based on Michael Bailey’s comments and all the secrets behind this build let’s hope it’s truly “revolutionary”. Can’t imagine using a name such as “Icon” and not do something revolutionary and radical. It’s got to be a good looking ship though😀. @Nathan Graveson what say you since you’ve seen some renderings? 😀

I can say confidently, and not because Royal told me too, that this ship lives up to the name and will be the "Icon" Of The Seas. Because I work for Royal, I am only allowed to mention things that are already known and seen by the community, and I am happy to say that the Parabolic Ultra Bow is one of the features I am allowed to talk about. I look forward for all of you to finally see the product next month and hope that it lives up to all the hype the project has been getting. Obviously, if any of you have any questions about Royal's new ships/projects, I am very happy to help and get you the answer, so fire away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

40 minutes ago, Nathan Graveson said:

I can say confidently, and not because Royal told me too, that this ship lives up to the name and will be the "Icon" Of The Seas. Because I work for Royal, I am only allowed to mention things that are already known and seen by the community, and I am happy to say that the Parabolic Ultra Bow is one of the features I am allowed to talk about. I look forward for all of you to finally see the product next month and hope that it lives up to all the hype the project has been getting. Obviously, if any of you have any questions about Royal's new ships/projects, I am very happy to help and get you the answer, so fire away.

Do we have an exact date for the reveal of Icon next month yet?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, soremekun said:

@Trixie21 Will there be a future ship with a combo ice skating rink and "Sea Plex" area?

In regards to the ice skating rink, Icon's will be similar to recent one on our ships, in the way they are located towards the centre of the ship, because of guest flow and popularity. As you should know if you have been on a Royal cruise, if not please do because I can't recommend it enough, the ice skating is fairly unpopular as the location of it is pretty hidden, so with Icon and future ships we have found a way to make it so it is more included in the main areas of the ship. 

In regards to the so called "Sea - Plex", which I am guessing you mean the Aqua Theatre or the Waterpark, we could not in any way put the ice skating rink out in the open due to the immense heat in the majority of the locations we sail. I would like to think that we could find a way to do it but the main issues are heat and space on the open decks.

So, no there will not be a ship with a combo ice skating rink and Sea Plex area.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Nathan Graveson said:

In regards to the ice skating rink, Icon's will be similar to recent one on our ships, in the way they are located towards the centre of the ship, because of guest flow and popularity. As you should know if you have been on a Royal cruise, if not please do because I can't recommend it enough, the ice skating is fairly unpopular as the location of it is pretty hidden, so with Icon and future ships we have found a way to make it so it is more included in the main areas of the ship. 

In regards to the so called "Sea - Plex", which I am guessing you mean the Aqua Theatre or the Waterpark, we could not in any way put the ice skating rink out in the open due to the immense heat in the majority of the locations we sail. I would like to think that we could find a way to do it but the main issues are heat and space on the open decks.

So, no there will not be a ship with a combo ice skating rink and Sea Plex area.

Are you saying it does have a seaplex onboard? It would make a lovely addition since it looks like a great space on the quantum class ships

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nathan Graveson said:

It kind of has, you’ll see when the ship is unveiled.

Awesome I hope they include the bumper cars!! Really looking forward to what’s new! Also hope they bring back 2 bedroom grand suites and have a pool in the suite area!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nathan Graveson said:

It kind of has, you’ll see when the ship is unveiled.

Sorry, I'm kinda new to Cruise Critic forums but not to social media forums, including cruising forums.  But, what is your position with Royal Caribbean?

I'm looking forward to following your comments in the future, I think, I hope.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ret MP said:

Sorry, I'm kinda new to Cruise Critic forums but not to social media forums, including cruising forums.  But, what is your position with Royal Caribbean?

I'm looking forward to following your comments in the future, I think, I hope.

Firstly, welcome to Cruise Critic. 

I am currently one of the naval - architects who design the ships for Royal Caribbean and the sister brands.

I work in a team of 10 naval - architects who design the ship as a whole. I have also done some interior design work on the Oasis Class ships in particular and I have done quite a bit for the Icon Of The Seas.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Nathan Graveson said:

Firstly, welcome to Cruise Critic. 

I am currently one of the naval - architects who design the ships for Royal Caribbean and the sister brands.

I work in a team of 10 naval - architects who design the ship as a whole. I have also done some interior design work on the Oasis Class ships in particular and I have done quite a bit for the Icon Of The Seas.

Great, so your aren't a Steward's Assistant 😁.  Yes, I'm looking forward to your insight and authorized information.

• Like 2

Thanks @Nathan Graveson. I have wondered, what's the advantage of the Parabolic Ultra Bow versus more traditional raked bows? 

Also, I thought the ice rinks were usually located low and center in the hull because of the weight of the ice. It keeps the ship balanced and the center of gravity lower in the hull. Will this be different on Icon?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nathan Graveson said:

Thanks for your response.  This is what I mean by SeaPlex

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-activities/seaplex

I was wondering if there will be a SeaPlex area that also offers ice skating, laser tag, etc in addition to the regular SeaPlex activities.

• Like 1

Nobody asked me what I thought about the Parabolic Ultra Bow (PUB) vs a Traditional Bow.  I'm hurt, for sure 🥸.  So, I'm going to give my opinion anyway 😄.  I'm not a big fan of the PUB.  No, I'm not a technician of any type when it comes to Marine Engineering. I'm just talking about aesthetics here, nothing more.  I'm sure there are many many many valid reasons for choosing the PUB instead of the traditional design.  Having said all that B.S.,  I can't wait to cruise on the ICON.  I AM a big fan of new!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nathan Graveson said:

Icon Of The Seas will have a Parabolic Ultra Bow similar to Celebrity's Edge Class ships. It just means that it is bringing something different to Royal Caribbean, which some people will think is ugly, but having seen the renders and the 3D models of the ship, I can confirm that the new bow designed works for the overall design of Icon.

Tell us more!  Spill the tea please!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nathan Graveson said:

I love 270 in the day and seeing the wake.

Will it have a rear facing lounge of some discrimination or the return of the Viking crown lounge?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

return of the Viking crown lounge?

That would be nice 😀. I realize Quantum is a complete different class of ship for Royal but, sometimes I think having a Viking Crown lounge may have looked good  right above say Social 180 Patio on Odyssey.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

I would love to see the Viking Crown return, but I doubt it. It was vastly underused.

I heard that Royal Caribbean removed one of the original Viking Crowns from the funnel of one of the original 3 ships when it was sold (Song of Norway, I think). If somehow they saved and stored that small lounge, I always thought it would be amazing if they incorporated it into one of their new ships and made it into a small museum of RCI memorabilia and history. 2vdkjLYjxuzdhh.jpg

• Like 2