Port Day in Flam in June 2019

We will be in Cruise Port of Flam in June 2019. Looking for recommendations for how to best spend our day other then the Railway tours that are promoted by the Cruise Lines. Is Flam pretty much a DIY Port, would rental car or private tour guide be useful? All suggestions welcome. We have friends who cruised the Norwegian Fjords previously and were not happy with their Flam railway excursion, this is why I am looking for other options.  Thanks

Flam is a very small village with little to do. Apart from the train there also is a bustrip to a viewpoint. https://www.visitflam.com/activities/stegastein-viewpoint/?gclid=CjwKCAjwtYXmBRAOEiwAYsyl3JrLfzte92DSvt-IGL9Dll3OrDraAR98_Fv_60H1GObeCu125vvl7RoCDyEQAvD_BwE

In the past our cruiseline offered a daytrip combination of  bus to the nice little town of Voss with stops at waterfalls, sometime  time in the city of Voss on a lake and on the way back by train to Flam. Maybe you can book a trip like that too.

1 hour ago, BPCruiser said:

other then the Railway tours that are promoted by the Cruise Lines.

I’ll suggest that you arrange the train tour your self rather than a ‘over priced’ ship excursion. book tickets in advance. 

Normally the ship is doing the train in the morning. 

You can book the Stegastein  viewpoint tour suggested by Ine in the morning and the train in the after noon - no need to stay in Myrdal - just take the same train back from Myrdal to Flåm.

Another option is a Fjord sailing at Nærøyfjord -  a UNESCO heritage site. Also a museum in Flåm.

When we stopped in Flam we did take the train and enjoyed it. Afterwards we still had a half day left to find something to do. In the area of the train station there is a tourist office. We went in and purchased tickets for a boat ride that took us up the river, for some incredible scenery. Plus it was fun to visit with other travelers from all over the world. At the end you get off and can poke around the little village. We then got on a bus and it took us back to where the ship was docked. For us it was the highlight of Flam, it was unplanned, inexpensive and as I said previously, the scenery was amazing.

Edited by biggerbearmom

• 2 months later...
On 4/26/2019 at 10:18 PM, biggerbearmom said:

When we stopped in Flam we did take the train and enjoyed it. Afterwards we still had a half day left to find something to do. In the area of the train station there is a tourist office. We went in and purchased tickets for a boat ride that took us up the river, for some incredible scenery. Plus it was fun to visit with other travelers from all over the world. At the end you get off and can poke around the little village. We then got on a bus and it took us back to where the ship was docked. For us it was the highlight of Flam, it was unplanned, inexpensive and as I said previously, the scenery was amazing.

We will be visiting Flam in about 2 weeks, and I have not planned anything yet.  Your tour sounds fun.  So you bought a boat ride tour that included the ride, and tour of the little village? How frequent there is a bus from the village back to the ship dock? How long was the boat ride?  How much was the tour package?  Can the boat ride and bus ride be paid with credit card? How often was the boat ride? 

Thank you.

On 4/25/2019 at 1:08 PM, hallasm said:

I’ll suggest that you arrange the train tour your self rather than a ‘over priced’ ship excursion. book tickets in advance. 

Normally the ship is doing the train in the morning. 

You can book the Stegastein  viewpoint tour suggested by Ine in the morning and the train in the after noon - no need to stay in Myrdal - just take the same train back from Myrdal to Flåm.

Another option is a Fjord sailing at Nærøyfjord -  a UNESCO heritage site. Also a museum in Flåm.

I just got back from a Norway cruise that included Flam - and it was my favorite port by far.  We booked the train on our own and everyone loved it.  If you know you are paying for a scenic train ride, that is exactly what you are going to get.  Definitely take the same train back from Myrdal.  Also - sit on the right side (with 3 seats) - that was the best view.

I do hope to go back to Flam someday, and would definitely check out the Stegastein viewpoint as well as a Fjord sailing.

• Like 1