Cardioversion on Celebrity

Macdl

Cardioversion and defibrillation are NOT the same thing.

If you have poorly controlled afib you should probably d/w your physician if cruising is right for you at this time.

Cardioversion requires prior anticoagulation, is done on a scheduled basis, and often with echocardiographic guidance (definitely not available on a ship.)

https://patient.info/doctor/defibrillation-and-cardioversion

• Like 4

Just because you have an A-fib episode does not mean that you necessarily need cardio-version.   

I have A-fib, and have had a few episodes while traveling.  I take extra medication along with me when we  travel.  So far it has worked to calm my heart.  The worse episode that I ever had happened the day after returning from a 2 night cruise. 💘   I was hospitalized over night, but no cardio-version.  I did receive several shots of Lovenox, along with other medications.  I have been told that I will receive cardio-version should my heart rate remain high for an extended time.

Cardioversion can only be performed within 48 hours of going in to AF, otherwise its 12 weeks of anti coagulation.  Being in AF is not a risk in its self, you may have to take a supply of soluble aspirin as a temporary precaution.  If you are at sea and go in to AF its unlikely you will get to an ER hospital within 48 hours and be prepped anyway.

One piece of advice is take enough meds and spares and also see if your insurers cover replacing prescribed meds in your insurance policy.

***** Disclaimer.   I am not a doctor and these are purely my views from my own experiences.  Always seek professional medical advice on this subject *****

10 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

Cardioversion and defibrillation are NOT the same thing.

If you have poorly controlled afib you should probably d/w your physician if cruising is right for you at this time.

Cardioversion requires prior anticoagulation, is done on a scheduled basis, and often with echocardiographic guidance (definitely not available on a ship.)

https://patient.info/doctor/defibrillation-and-cardioversion

Cardioversion done on an emergency basis is done with sedation only.

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

I apologize for my confusion, but I see that it has opened up an interesting and potentially important conversation.

Actually as someone who is familiar with AF, it is an interesting point.  No need to apologise.

Dh went afib on a cruise once. He was already on anticoagulants. He contacted his doctor via email and was told to increase one medication to try and keep the heart rate down and wait until he returned to get the cardiovert. It was a long and miserable cruise for him and a very hard trip home.

He has been told to go out and live life, including cruises and vacations. That is what we have done, and not sorry we have done so. There is always a bit of worry when one travels with any medical condition, but life is for living. Follow your doctor's advice and know how to reach your doctor if necessary.

Afib is not life threatening (in most cases).  Most often, one has episodes of afib.....irregular heartbeat, perhaps some heart flutter that you can feel....and it self manages.  There are medical procedures that often cause short term afib which self manages. It is not the beginning of a sudden death...your life isn't suddenly coming to an end.  Self management involves taking a daily baby (85mg) aspirin to thin your blood (assuming you are not already on a blood thinner) and if you have blood pressure medication, stay on it.   IMHO, OMC329's doctor advice was excellent.

Afib doesn't necessarily ruin your life...it may slow it down a bit, you may get tired more easily, you may not have the energy you had before.  It does raise your chances of a stroke...important note: it increases your RISK. My cardiologist told me that just taking a daily baby aspirin cuts that risk in half. 

If you have an incident, you may feel your heart race and or feel heart flutter or some shortness of breath.....but in most cases, it's not physically incapacitating...what incapacitates you is the fear that you are now going to die so you focus on your heart, your loss of energy, etc.   Yes, you may feel different but it's the fear that's more incapacitating than the actual afib.

No, I'm not a doctor...but I do speak from personal experience.  I've had afib for over 20 years....and for 18 of those years, I only took aspirin as a blood thinner and a single generic blood pressure pill (the same pill and dosage for 20 years which keeps my BP at 120 over 80 or lower). Given my age, I'm now on one of the new blood thinners based on a change in my Chads2 score. 

More medical info that anyone wanted, but just trying to suggest that having an incident of AFIB on your cruise isn't going to require immediate evacuation, etc or your probable death before the next port.  Simply put, take an aspirin and see your doctor when you get home.   Other self help would be to avoid caffeine (drink decaf coffee) and avoid alcohol (no not for life...just until you see your doctor at home). Note on that topic...meet me at the martini bar on the next cruise...nuf said.  

Of course if you are concerned about the possibility, discuss with your doctor....don't rely on my war story.

Edited by ghstudio

12 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

Cardioversion - defibrillation - Cardioversion - anticoagulation - echocardiographic

Dylaness, I'm not picking on you. I just thought those were cool looking words and interesting to see on CC. I'm a voice over talent, so these things are not abnormal for me. I shall go back to my closet and talk to myself.

Thx everyone for responding... all great information. I have Afib and I just got off a 10 day cruise... I was on edge the whole cruise knowing I could go into Afib at any time...thankfully it waited till a week after I got home ... I went to ER and they cardioverted me right back into rhythm ... I was just wondering if symptoms got bad was it an option... I would definitely try to wait it out till I got home. 

Thanks again and have a great weekend