Godfrey Hotel vs Hotel 140 Boston

Sailor Taylor

1 hour ago, Sailor Taylor said:

Both are quite reasonable for my 2-day stay in September per cruise.  Can some Bostonians or honorable Bostonians give me some opinion which one to choose?  

What would your room rate per night be for these hotels?  Sep 1-3?  What are your sightseeing objectives in Boston?  Both are budget hotels.  Did you read the Trip Advisor reviews and can live with the comments about soft beds, potential noise, and room/bathroom size?  Are you planning to use public transit to get around?

Hotwire in the Seaport District near the port often has good deals on holiday weekends.

1 hour ago, 138east said:

What would your room rate per night be for these hotels?  Sep 1-3?  What are your sightseeing objectives in Boston?  Both are budget hotels.  Did you read the Trip Advisor reviews and can live with the comments about soft beds, potential noise, and room/bathroom size?  Are you planning to use public transit to get around?

Hotwire in the Seaport District near the port often has good deals on holiday weekends.

yep! That's the dates!  the total would be around $400 for 2 days including all taxes and fees (like urban fee?  Serioiudly? Lol) Lol

We are not very picky about amenities or room size and I am not very sensitive to noises either.  As long as it's clean and free of bed bugs and creepy crawlies and has a private bathroom I am happy.  We travel light and will only have carry on suitcases.  

Also we will be arriving by Amtrak train and I noticed 140 is right next to a station which is a plus. Yes, definitely plan to get the one day t pass or maybe a Charlie card. 

I hoped to catch a Red Sox game but it does not look like there will be a home game while we are in town so maybe just a tour?  Is a Fenway tour worth it?  We are both die hard Red Sox fans.

And I want to do some sight seeing in the city downtown area. Not interested in shopping at all and i already know the restaurants i want.  We went to college in Cambridge years ago but believe or not never did much sight seeing.  LOL   I really want to visit the Public Park and the Common and water front.  Maybe a duck ride?  Not too interested in the history stuff.  

I saw on Hotwire a 4 star hotel available for $174 a night and another for $142. Any guess which it will be?   🙂

Edited by Sailor Taylor

27 minutes ago, Sailor Taylor said:

yep! That's the dates!  the total would be around $400 for 2 days including all taxes and fees (like urban fee?  Serioiudly? Lol) Lol

We are not very picky about amenities or room size and I am not very sensitive to noises either.  As long as it's clean and free of bed bugs and creepy crawlies and has a private bathroom I am happy.  We travel light and will only have carry on suitcases.  

Also we will be arriving by Amtrak train and I noticed 140 is right next to a station which is a plus. Yes, definitely plan to get the one day t pass or maybe a Charlie card. 

I hoped to catch a Red Sox game but it does not look like there will be a home game while we are in town so maybe just a tour?  Is a Fenway tour worth it?  We are both die hard Red Sox fans.

And I want to do some sight seeing in the city downtown area. Not interested in shopping at all and i already know the restaurants i want.  We went to college in Cambridge years ago but believe or not never did much sight seeing.  LOL   I really want to visit the Public Park and the Common and water front.  Maybe a duck ride?  Not too interested in the history stuff.  

I saw on Hotwire a 4 star hotel available for $174 a night and another for $142. Any guess which it will be?   🙂

For 2 days you might be happier in Back Bay where you can get off Amtrak and walk or Uber to your hotel.  The 4* Boutique in Copley Square for $142 says it will be the Hilton, Copley Square, Collonade, or Loew’s - all very good hotels and a definite step up from the Hotel 140.  They are being offered at bargain rates due to the holiday weekend with no business travel.

7 minutes ago, 138east said:

For 2 days you might be happier in Back Bay where you can get off Amtrak and walk or Uber to your hotel.  The 4* Boutique in Copley Square for $142 says it will be the Hilton, Copley Square, Collonade, or Loew’s - all very good hotels and a definite step up from the Hotel 140.  They are being offered at bargain rates due to the holiday weekend with no business travel.

Thanks!  

now I am tempted!  Just a silly question, are the Hotwire hotel rooms guaranteed to come with private bathrooms?   It says about bed arrangement but not bathroom. I would hope a 4 star hotel won't surprise me with a shared bath right?  

7 minutes ago, Sailor Taylor said:

Thanks!  

now I am tempted!  Just a silly question, are the Hotwire hotel rooms guaranteed to come with private bathrooms?   It says about bed arrangement but not bathroom. I would hope a 4 star hotel won't surprise me with a shared bath right?  

A 4* hotel would not have a shared bathroom!  The hotels mentioned normally charge $300 ++.  I have stayed in similar Back Bay hotels like the Marriott, Westin, and Sheraton and they are very nice.

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2019 at 5:16 PM, 138east said:

We recently booked a 'blind' Hotwire deal in Seaport for August 29th (pre-Labor Day weekend).  We got a 4Star for $106 per night.  Very pleased when it turned out to be the Westin.  

• Like 1

Have you checked the reviews at TripAdvisor?  That's always my "go to", but make sure to ignore any posts from 1 or 2 time visitors, and read good reviews and bad ones, too, to get a real feel for the place.

(yes, it's a good place)