Vibe pass fraud

mrobstad

2 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

Let's agree 50-50; result of a combination of the Vibe process (and consequences) and the individual.  🙂

It's clear, NCL has work to do here.  When I was injured, and later in the week displayed my side, an officer (not navigation, hospitality maybe) said "we've got to do something about this frenzy."

We'll see, however your point is well taken.  I am convinced, however, the frenzy overtook him; which is the point of the post I was replying to (which was a good point also).

Although it's not a very good process, but the fact of the matter is it was the individual that caused it.

It's the me first mentality so prevalent today.

I'm not sure there is a good way to control getting Vibe passes. The lottery won't work with 2 or more couple traveling together.

NCL has created a supply and demand situation that has been around for years in business.

NCL thinks their tier system works for boarding. ( Haven, Platinum, etc.) It's their game , they can make the rules. Whether we like it or not. Pretty simple don't like the rules, don't play the game.

We loved the Vibe on Escape, yes we were one of the first ones at the port and before the tier boarding was implemented.

Tried on the Bliss after tier system and although we had Boarding Group 1 we weren't successful. It sold out 10 minutes before we got to the location. Disappointed yes , but it certainly didn't ruin our cruise as some pax say.

• Like 1

Given weather and the cost, I don't understand why it is so popular. I have been on two ram-jam packed Bliss cruises - and I mean PEAK times (Christmas) and Spice H20 ALWAYS has spots to sit. Not to mention all the space on the hidden areas of decks 17-20 on some of the ships. The Epic has an amazing nook on one of the upper decks that's ALWAYS empty. I have been on a tour of the Vibe on the Excape and it was in a terrible part of the ship, with poor aesthetics, and service was normal at best. It wasn't even that peaceful, and even then, for those who want the Vibe because they want a quieter more restful environment, it doesn't mean it has to be a boring environment - and this, unfortunately, was. It seems like the "Vibe" is just a portion of the top deck that NCL slaps a sign on and charges for, because it would otherwise go underused.

I am sorry the OP felt like they have been jilted/scammed or whatever. I would just hang out with the rest of the people if I were them.

I personally wouldn't even come on a cruise ship if I wanted to just sequester myself into a private area.

• Like 2

I have been in VIBE on my last 3 cruises.  Two on the Escape, One on the Getaway.  All 3 we got lucky with later boarding groups (I think 2 through 4).

There are 2 reasons we like VIBE.  First is you get to know most of the other people as well as the bartenders.  We are shy people but this kind of forces us to meet people etc...  Because of this we have met fellow cruisers that we still keep in touch with.

Second is the umbrellas (when the wind allows for them).  We burn pretty easy so can only spend limited amounts in the sun.

As others have said, the area outside VIBE is a good alternative for the bar but it unfortunately doesn't have any umbrellas. This is also true in Spice H2O. 

As others have said, I have never been in VIBE where it was remotely close to full.  There are always tons of available loungers.  Seems like they could sell more tickets or start offering some later in the cruise. 

Having said all of this, we are starting to get priced out  😞 .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hawkman402 said:

Second is the umbrellas (when the wind allows for them).  We burn pretty easy so can only spend limited amounts in the sun.

As others have said, the area outside VIBE is a good alternative for the bar but it unfortunately doesn't have any umbrellas. This is also true in Spice H2O. 

Interesting that you said no umbrellas outside of VIBE. When I was on the Bliss last week, there was someone coming around putting up umbrellas on request. We had it done ourselves.

Also, to all those who call it the "Vibe Beach Club", please don't. There is nothing "Beachey" or "Clubby" about it.

4 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

Interesting that you said no umbrellas outside of VIBE. When I was on the Bliss last week, there was someone coming around putting up umbrellas on request. We had it done ourselves.

Also, to all those who call it the "Vibe Beach Club", please don't. There is nothing "Beachey" or "Clubby" about it.

I understand why some people don’t feel like the Vibe is worth it but don’t understand the animosity people have about it. It’s not for everyone but we never found it snobby or clicky and frankly we are disappointed that we aren’t doing it for our cruise in June on the Escape simply because we aren’t going to pay $1600 for us and our kids/spouses and they can’t afford it. But let me tell you it hurt for a bit that we won’t be in there.. LOL

If you don’t like:

1) Private Bartenders that know your name 30 secs after you enter for the first time

2) A padded lounger Waiting for you whenever you get there

3) Meeting people that you keep friends with even after the cruise

4) Someone bringing you a drink to the hot tub whenever yours is close to empty 

5) Cold towels, cold water, fruit kabobs brought to you while sitting in the padded loungers

6) And finally!!!!!! SHOT O’CLOCK

It’s about the whole experience.. We are not wealthy, snobby people who want to be treated like royalty but trust me when you walk out of the Vibe and look out over the pool area you appreciate every cent you paid and every minute you have e spent there..

Just sayin!!  😂🤣😛

To each their own but not sure why anyone would be so nasty about why people like it.. Thinking people who don’t like it are more private, don’t like getting close to their servers and bartenders, and frankly just don’t like fun!! hahahah 

• Like 2

I have to agree with part of what the OP stated, the first come first served system is broken.  

By NCL allowing guests with canes (and other special needs) on board the ship before those who arrived first is unfair. People are being taught to lie and show up with a cane when non is needed. Witnessed this once: saw a man walk on the ship first with a cane, and never saw him in the Vibe with the cane the rest of the cruise. When it was brought up in jest, he fully admitted it. Something he had learned from another guest. The system is broken. 

It is an easy fix: Since NCL allows for room upgrades by bidding, I would think it would be easy to build a bidding system for Vibe. Care to get in Vibe for a day or a week, place a bid, and shall the odds forever be in your favor. 

Just my $0.02

• Like 2

don´t get why they don´t sell it online, then everyone has the same chance and a bonus for people who are booking early.

if i was NCL i would sell some vibe suites like the spa suites but with the vibe pass.

but that system how they handle it at the moment sucks.

Edited by Steff79
  • Like 1

My take on why this bid idea would not work is that most people do not really know about Vibe. Look how hard to get it already, can’t even imagine once 4000 passengers are asked if they want to go there and bid on it...

26 minutes ago, Steff79 said:

don´t get why they don´t sell it online, then everyone has the same chance and a bonus for people who are booking early.

if i was NCL i would sell some vibe suites like the spa suites but with the vibe pass.

but that system how they handle it at the moment sucks.

Well, we thought this thread was interesting as the different perspectives are important and relevant.

"Vibe Suites" is a totally new concept (to us) and a really, really creative thought.

Thanks.

$200 for vibe...not for me! If I’m gonna spend $200 I’m getting a spa pass.

As many others have said...make it so people buy it online. $200 per person and when you run out that’s it. You can also make $100 of it non-refundable so if you cancel your cruise you lose out on some of it...this prevent people from booking 3-4 cruises 2 years out just to get the vibe pass in case they decide to go. It also incentivizes people to book early which helps NCL...again!

With NCL being so money hungry I’m really surprised this is how they do it.

If passes could be booked online, suite/Haven guests would probably get to book them sooner just like with dinner reservations. Many of the same complaints would follow.

If there was a lottery system, what would happen if a couple in one stateroom won and their best friends staying next door don't win? What if one stateroom has 6 adults and another has 2? Does every adult in the stateroom get an individual lottery ticket or is it the stateroom that wins?

How would "VIBE stateroom" be decided? Would there be a VIBE version of every stateroom type?

There is no system that would make everyone happy.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

People are complaining mainly about how unfair it is now--how would it be fair for early bookers to get them and not others? If it's going to be a lottery, it has to be fair chances for all. After final payment, the lottery starts so EVERYONE booked has a chance. But I like the "Vibe Suite" idea best--that's a good one!

2 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

If passes could be booked online, suite/Haven guests would probably get to book them sooner just like with dinner reservations. Many of the same complaints would follow.

If there was a lottery system, what would happen if a couple in one stateroom won and their best friends staying next door don't win? What if one stateroom has 6 adults and another has 2? Does every adult in the stateroom get an individual lottery ticket or is it the stateroom that wins?

How would "VIBE stateroom" be decided? Would there be a VIBE version of every stateroom type?

There is no system that would make everyone happy.

Amen!!!  No matter what NCL does they will be looked upon as wrong.. 🤔

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hockeydad1972 said:

I understand why some people don’t feel like the Vibe is worth it but don’t understand the animosity people have about it. It’s not for everyone but we never found it snobby or clicky and frankly we are disappointed that we aren’t doing it for our cruise in June on the Escape simply because we aren’t going to pay $1600 for us and our kids/spouses and they can’t afford it. But let me tell you it hurt for a bit that we won’t be in there.. LOL

If you don’t like:

1) Private Bartenders that know your name 30 secs after you enter for the first time

2) A padded lounger Waiting for you whenever you get there

3) Meeting people that you keep friends with even after the cruise

4) Someone bringing you a drink to the hot tub whenever yours is close to empty 

5) Cold towels, cold water, fruit kabobs brought to you while sitting in the padded loungers

6) And finally!!!!!! SHOT O’CLOCK

It’s about the whole experience.. We are not wealthy, snobby people who want to be treated like royalty but trust me when you walk out of the Vibe and look out over the pool area you appreciate every cent you paid and every minute you have e spent there..

Just sayin!!  😂🤣😛

To each their own but not sure why anyone would be so nasty about why people like it.. Thinking people who don’t like it are more private, don’t like getting close to their servers and bartenders, and frankly just don’t like fun!! hahahah 

I agree. So much judging! Crazy.

17 hours ago, EganFire said:

I have to agree with part of what the OP stated, the first come first served system is broken.  

By NCL allowing guests with canes (and other special needs) on board the ship before those who arrived first is unfair. People are being taught to lie and show up with a cane when non is needed. Witnessed this once: saw a man walk on the ship first with a cane, and never saw him in the Vibe with the cane the rest of the cruise. When it was brought up in jest, he fully admitted it. Something he had learned from another guest. The system is broken. 

It is an easy fix: Since NCL allows for room upgrades by bidding, I would think it would be easy to build a bidding system for Vibe. Care to get in Vibe for a day or a week, place a bid, and shall the odds forever be in your favor. 

Just my $0.02

LOL.  It is not as unfair as it is that I cannot walk without my walker as a result of having four laminectomies, triple spinal fusions, failed bilateral knee replacements, being legally blind in one eye as a result of severe eye injuries, and having limited use of my dominant arm as a result of a rather nasty automobile accident.  If you would like to trade me all of that for the chance that I might choose to attempt to buy a vibe pass on a  cruise just let me know!  Otherwise please stop whining over silly things.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, EganFire said:

Just my $0.02

Again the " bidding idea" won't work. Say you have 2 couples traveling together and both want Vibe passes. 1 couples bid is accepted, the others isn't.

It is sad people stoop to the level  they do, i.e. using a cane/ handicapped idea.

NCL has created a supply and demand situation with Vibe. At some point they may price themselves out. 

6 minutes ago, Thai Food Charlie said:

LOL.  It is not as unfair as it is that I cannot walk without my walker as a result of having four laminectomies, triple spinal fusions, failed bilateral knee replacements, being legally blind in one eye as a result of severe eye injuries, and having limited use of my dominant arm as a result of a rather nasty automobile accident.  If you would like to trade me all of that for the chance that I might choose to attempt to buy a vibe pass on a  cruise just let me know!  Otherwise please stop whining over silly things.

Before you read my response, please take this into account. I am asking for education and not confrontation. Sincerely attempting to get your perspective as I do not experience it in your eyes or situation. 

I am 100% about equal rights and I am sorry you have had so many injuries, surgeries, etc... However, as we are all getting on a ship to wait hours before our rooms open, why do you need to go on before someone else who arrived to the port before you? I understand this on an airplane as you may need additional assistance to get into your seat, but why for a ship? 

And as I continued to say, people are "pretending" to have a need for a cane to benefit for themselves. Do you appreciate people imitating an injury to manipulate the system for their own advantage? Do you feel they are to blame or is the system to blame for allowing them to do so?  

Again, not trying to be confrontational, legit trying to get yours (and others) true and genuine perspective. No need to smart remarks or comments. I seek to understand, I would hope you and others would do the same. 

I feel sorry for the people pretending to be injured/disabled just to get on the ship early, for whatever reason.  The problem isn’t NCL’s way of doing things.  It’s that people would go to those depths to gain early access.

I don’t see the value in the VIBE.  I do believe it’s relative “exclusivity” makes it desirable for some.  Don’t understand that, either.

As others have said, no matter what procedure NCL institutes, someone is going to find fault with it.

I do know I’ll never again pay $209/pp for the privilege of someone instituting it being “shot time” (I can do that on my own), or getting fruit skewers (again, I can get my own) or a lounger (again, plenty of them in Spice H20).

6 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Again the " bidding idea" won't work. Say you have 2 couples traveling together and both want Vibe passes. 1 couples bid is accepted, the others isn't.

That current situation is already an issue. If two couples are traveling together and they arrive to purchase the Vibe passes but only 2 are left, they can't all get them.  NO system is perfect, I just think their is a "more Fair" way of doing it than a first come first served method.  Lottery, or bidding, or some method that ALL can participate in is more fair. Bidding for room upgrades is not done by all cruise lines, but how NCL does it, it is as fair as possible. If you booked a year out, or a week out, up until 2 days before cruising you can bid and take a chance. 

One guest wrote an idea I never thought of above. Selling it as part of a room package. I may not agree with that in whole, it still is an idea that I had not considered.

I think a group chat like this forum is good to discuss ideas and offer suggestions. NCL does read these (from several officers on the ships), and sometimes they take suggestions and ideas from these chats. Not always, but sometimes.

Does ANYONE feel this current system is the BEST it can be? Does anyone think their is no room for improvement?  In my discussions with fellow guests in the Vibe, and those who did not get Vibe, I have never found someone who said that this system is perfect the way it is. I am trying to offer other ways to make it more fair, and I would hope more people would offer remedies rather than judge ideas and suggestions as "That won't work". 

3 minutes ago, EganFire said:

Before you read my response, please take this into account. I am asking for education and not confrontation. Sincerely attempting to get your perspective as I do not experience it in your eyes or situation. 

I am 100% about equal rights and I am sorry you have had so many injuries, surgeries, etc... However, as we are all getting on a ship to wait hours before our rooms open, why do you need to go on before someone else who arrived to the port before you? I understand this on an airplane as you may need additional assistance to get into your seat, but why for a ship? 

And as I continued to say, people are "pretending" to have a need for a cane to benefit for themselves. Do you appreciate people imitating an injury to manipulate the system for their own advantage? Do you feel they are to blame or is the system to blame for allowing them to do so?  

Again, not trying to be confrontational, legit trying to get yours (and others) true and genuine perspective. No need to smart remarks or comments. I seek to understand, I would hope you and others would do the same. 

1st it is not a matter of need.  It is a matter of law.  ADA.

2nd in my case walking in masses such as boarding a ship is all but impossible.  Even with my walker, I am pretty unstable when walking any distance at all.  Combine that with the fact that walking up ramps and across uneven surfaces is beyond difficult.  All of that combined with that fact that during general boarding there are many able bodied people who push and shove past to get on the ship two seconds faster and have zero concern for the any other passengers (let alone ADA passengers) who might be hindering that objective, and there is an absolute need to be accommodated.

3rd your entire implied argument that ADA passengers are the problem with getting Vibe passes is absurd.  There are not that many ADA passengers in the first place and not all ADA passengers buy Vibe passes, let alone rush ahead of everyone else just to get them.

4th the fact that you (or someone else) saw one guy who gamed the system, does not mean the system is broken.

Lastly thanks for the response and understanding what it is I was saying.  For the record we don't get Vibe passes.  We checked it out one time and it was just not for us.  We prefer the spa and use our money there.  I hope you have a great time on youe next cruise and if you so desire I hope your quest for Vibe passes is successful.

The actual best solution is for NCL to find the price point of equilibrium of supply and demand, set the price there, and be done with it.

20 minutes ago, Birdie And Sue said:

1st it is not a matter of need.  It is a matter of law.  ADA.

2nd in my case walking in masses such as boarding a ship is all but impossible.  Even with my walker, I am pretty unstable when walking any distance at all.  Combine that with the fact that walking up ramps and across uneven surfaces is beyond difficult.  All of that combined with that fact that during general boarding there are many able bodied people who push and shove past to get on the ship two seconds faster and have zero concern for the any other passengers (let alone ADA passengers) who might be hindering that objective, and there is an absolute need to be accommodated.

3rd your entire implied argument that ADA passengers are the problem with getting Vibe passes is absurd.  There are not that many ADA passengers in the first place and not all ADA passengers buy Vibe passes, let alone rush ahead of everyone else just to get them.

4th the fact that you (or someone else) saw one guy who gamed the system, does not mean the system is broken.

Lastly thanks for the response and understanding what it is I was saying.  For the record we don't get Vibe passes.  We checked it out one time and it was just not for us.  We prefer the spa and use our money there.  I hope you have a great time on youe next cruise and if you so desire I hope your quest for Vibe passes is successful.

The actual best solution is for NCL to find the price point of equilibrium of supply and demand, set the price there, and be done with it.

A very good response and well said. I am appalled by the question "why do you need to go on before someone else who arrived to the port before you?" and you handled that with a grace I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have had . Of COURSE you need to go on before the rest, for exactly those reasons you stated. 

27 minutes ago, EganFire said:

That current situation is already an issue. If two couples are traveling together and they arrive to purchase the Vibe passes but only 2 are left, they can't all get them.  NO system is perfect, I just think their is a "more Fair" way of doing it than a first come first served method.  Lottery, or bidding, or some method that ALL can participate in is more fair. Bidding for room upgrades is not done by all cruise lines, but how NCL does it, it is as fair as possible. If you booked a year out, or a week out, up until 2 days before cruising you can bid and take a chance. 

One guest wrote an idea I never thought of above. Selling it as part of a room package. I may not agree with that in whole, it still is an idea that I had not considered.

I think a group chat like this forum is good to discuss ideas and offer suggestions. NCL does read these (from several officers on the ships), and sometimes they take suggestions and ideas from these chats. Not always, but sometimes.

Does ANYONE feel this current system is the BEST it can be? Does anyone think their is no room for improvement?  In my discussions with fellow guests in the Vibe, and those who did not get Vibe, I have never found someone who said that this system is perfect the way it is. I am trying to offer other ways to make it more fair, and I would hope more people would offer remedies rather than judge ideas and suggestions as "That won't work". 

Anyone who thinks there is even a possibility of 2 couples both getting passes when there are only about 100 of them and a few 1000 passengers bidding would be nuts. But I'm betting there would indeed be a whole lot of them out there complaining! lol