Automatic upgrade?

stjlo

We have two cabins booked for Rhapsody of the Seas Greece and Croatia June 1, one junior suite and one inside cabin. The junior suite is aft with a huge balcony which is why I booked it. The inside cabin is nearby for our older 2 children.

I keep getting offers to upgrade at a reduced rate for both cabins which I have not bid on.  My question is this... is there any chance they will change our cabins to a higher category without asking us first? I do NOT want to switch to a higher category for either cabin because I like the cabins I chose and I want to stay close together.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, island lady said:

The Royal Up bid dragon has slayed the "free/automatic upgrade" fairy.  She is gone for good.  RIP sweet freebie upgrade fairy.  😞 

Interesting that when we met you on Jewel we had been upgraded to a JS. Better still at that time we got double points 😁

On 4/27/2019 at 2:28 PM, Scotty G said:

Interesting that when we met you on Jewel we had been upgraded to a JS. Better still at that time we got double points 😁

I had just one...and only one...freebie upgrade.  Total surprise going to a JS also, which was on Serenade that had been showing as sold out for weeks.  Did not get the double points though.  Oh well, did not expect it.  Was just nice to have the extra room on the 11 night cruise.  

That upgrade was years ago, and have not seen the dearly departed upgrade fairy since then.  Sigh...

RCL no longer gives "free" upgrades.  You want an upgrade and you receive the upgrade e-mail, you need to put in a bid (pay for).  Or, you can upgrade yourself by picking out the cabin you want and pay the difference.

MARAPRINCE

2 hours ago, Maraprince said:

RCL no longer gives "free" upgrades.  You want an upgrade and you receive the upgrade e-mail, you need to put in a bid (pay for).  Or, you can upgrade yourself by picking out the cabin you want and pay the difference.

MARAPRINCE

The point is the OP doesn't want to be upgraded free or otherwise.

On 4/27/2019 at 8:19 AM, stjlo said:

We have two cabins booked for Rhapsody of the Seas Greece and Croatia June 1, one junior suite and one inside cabin. The junior suite is aft with a huge balcony which is why I booked it. The inside cabin is nearby for our older 2 children.

I keep getting offers to upgrade at a reduced rate for both cabins which I have not bid on.  My question is this... is there any chance they will change our cabins to a higher category without asking us first? I do NOT want to switch to a higher category for either cabin because I like the cabins I chose and I want to stay close together.

Thanks.

the bad news is that they can change your cabin to a different one in the same category if they want to. Read your cruise contract.

Gidday from Down Under!

I called RCI to mark my booking no upgrade as I have booked 7688 on a Voyager class ship and DH wants the L-A-R-G-E balcony.

The RCI agent on the telephone advised that they can't switch your cabin without consulting you first, as this would contravene their own terms and conditions.  I was skeptical as I have read some awful tales of this happening on these boards.

So, upshot is, have called RCI, advised no upgrade and I keep checking my cruise planner, just in case!

TraceyG 😊

6 hours ago, dandtgeddes said:

The RCI agent on the telephone advised that they can't switch your cabin without consulting you first, as this would contravene their own terms and conditions.  I was skeptical as I have read some awful tales of this happening on these boards. ...

Thanks for the info.  Could be that Aussie booking rules prevent stateroom changes without prior consent.

Yes, I think that the Australian and New Zealand Terms & Conditions are built in favour of the consumer.

Basically we want to know the full price up front and get what we paid for.

I have seen some awful accounts of cabin changes on the CC boards.

Although, a lot of AUS & NZ cruisers got caught out after Radiance had a re fit a few years back.  Had booked specific cabins aft and as new cabins were added the cabin numbers changed so they 'lost' their cabins, it was really sad reading those boards.

The people retained their cabin numbers but these were no longer in the position they had booked.

As DH and I are part of a large group and we are mostly booked in one area we are being very careful about checking our Cruise Planner etc.  Also keeping a close watch on the Voyager refurbishment 😉

TraceyG :-)