Cannabis lands cruise visitor in court

Charles4515

Don’t bring Marijuana into Bermuda. It is illegal. Even medical marijuana with a prescription is prohibited. They do come on the ship and search. They have sniffer dogs. The fines are costly. Pay or go to jail and miss your ships debarkation. During the cruise season the Royal Gazette often reports busts almost every week. Your name will published. So if someone googles your name it is going to come up.

http://www.royalgazette.com/court/article/20190426/cannabis-lands-cruise-visitor-in-court

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iheartbda said:

Sorry, Daniel, it’s the old ignorance of the law...

I can remember on any number of cruises, and maybe even all, the cruise directors issued warnings about taking Mary Jane on shore.

In this particular instance, as is often the case in Bermuda, the passenger was arrested for weed being found in his cabin. He didn't even get as far as taking it ashore. Once the ship has entered a country's territorial waters you're subject to its laws, even if you don't go ashore.

Just relating the warning people were always given.

How stupid can someone be to actually smoke it on board when the smell is a dead give away. And to smoke it in his cabin when smoking in cabins is verboten? Maybe the guy thought since Celebrity doesn’t specifically say smoking weed is not permitted, he thought it was ok.🤪 Joking but you never know.

As an aside, on my very first cruise it was permitted in cabins and I was quite amazed.

Whatever the circumstance this particular bust was, people don’t seem to understand that most foreign countries don’t mess around with weed.

I'm somewhat surprised how few mj horror stories I've read on this site.  I think, in part, it's because no one wants to advertise their faux pas.  I also think it used to be tolerated quite a bit, so people thought it was ok.  Only to find out, it's not.  Seriously hit or miss, and not worth the risk.  

5 minutes ago, sockmonkeygirl said:

I'm somewhat surprised how few mj horror stories I've read on this site.  I think, in part, it's because no one wants to advertise their faux pas.  I also think it used to be tolerated quite a bit, so people thought it was ok.  Only to find out, it's not.  Seriously hit or miss, and not worth the risk.  

They are not always reported on this site but they are reported in the Royal Gazette newspaper.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sockmonkeygirl said:

I don’t think it was ever tolerated in Bermuda. The stories on this site are all from the Bermuda Royal Gazette. Not all the stories in the Royal Gazette have been posted here. I have posted some of the stories in the hope of dissuading  people from getting in trouble. I don’t intend to post every arrest and fine. Also I don’t know if the Royal Gazette publishes every fine and arrest made in Bermuda on cruise ships. 

12 hours ago, sockmonkeygirl said:

There are any number of criminal situations involving cruise ship passengers, some far worse than having some weed, that are published in the Royal Gazette or on Bernews.com that no one talks about on Cruise Critic . There's one that's about as bad as it gets in today's news reports. No need to post it here. Anyone who reads the Royal Gazette or Bernews regularly will see them.

31 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

No need to post it here. Anyone who reads the Royal Gazette or Bernews regularly will see them.

I never heard of these, and actually find myself stuck on facebook 90% of my online time, so I'll check them out! thx :) 

3 hours ago, sockmonkeygirl said:

I never heard of these, and actually find myself stuck on facebook 90% of my online time, so I'll check them out! thx :) 

A few of us here who are regular visitors to Bermuda follow the local news because it both gives us useful information for our own travels and it allows us to answer other people's questions. I wouldn't expect the casual Cruise Critic poster to do so.

On 5/2/2019 at 1:29 PM, njhorseman said:

A few of us here who are regular visitors to Bermuda follow the local news because it both gives us useful information for our own travels and it allows us to answer other people's questions. I wouldn't expect the casual Cruise Critic poster to do so.

I agree, the newspapers are usually a daily read.👍🏻

Just a a heads up. I’ve used  gmail to you but changing to aol just so you know it’s me.

Tourists seem to be usually let off with a fine. In 2011 my wife and I went in the wrong door for a tour and wound up in a courtroom where a young Bermudan was facing serious jail time for a drug offense. We stayed long enough to see him convicted, which didn't seem to take long, and the judge was pretty clear about there being prison time in the defendant's future...

Edited by Langoustine

Just off the NCL Gem Friday. On I think Sunday or Monday night about 9:45 pm two custom agents came up to the Bali hai bar. They asked for mens room cards and ended up arresting a young man sitting at the next table. We assumed it was drugs in cabin found. Felt really bad for him. Didn’t see him or his family again.

Laws are made not for the few , but all.

Bermuda (Somers Isles) enforces the Laws they make. Shouldn't we and all countries do that too?

It is always reminding me of the Commons in Boston, Ma. the Ducks in a Row eh.

If you do not break the laws you do not need to worry a lot.

( Don't be and you won't be")

Singapore is much more restrictive.

Know the Laws /regulations anywhere you cruise too. It behoves you.

Edited by AAAAmerican