Walkie Talkies??

MermaidMommy03

Hi all... another question for you!! 

Has anyone used walkie talkies to communicate with your children? 

We are traveling with our children and my two oldest will have privileges to sign themselves out of camp. We already have rules on meeting spots but I still  want to be able to communicate with them.

I know about the HUB but I am afraid of them miss placing their phones. 

30 minutes ago, MermaidMommy03 said:

We are traveling with our children and my two oldest will have privileges to sign themselves out of camp. We already have rules on meeting spots but I still  want to be able to communicate with them.

No offense but they're a relic today and they never worked all that great. Our grandkids would laugh at us if we suggested they walk around holding one. Carnival's Hub App works well.

47 minutes ago, MermaidMommy03 said:

ive never used walkie talkies before mainly because I don't have any children, I have seen many families use them, and they seem to work pretty well, much cheaper if you lose a walkie talkie than a cell phone 

Hi

This topic has been discussed many times. A "search" should give you many threads that you can read. The bottom line is that mostly they don't work because of the structure of the ship.

The HUB app works quite well. Try communicating to your children the importance of not "misplacing" their phone, as well as the consequences if it happens. Like any other learning experience, your efforts could show that they are up to the task.

have a great cruise

• Like 1

We tried them on 3 different ships... Useless. They don’t work well through decks and walls of steel. Either the sound is garbled and inaudible or the message is completely not received on the other end. We bought a relatively expensive set with something like 25 mile distance and ended up selling them in a yard sale for $5.

1 hour ago, MermaidMommy03 said:

They do not work well.  If you search this forum for "Walkie Talkies", you will see multiple responses.  Pay close attention to answers from Heidi 13 and Chengkop75.  They are career ship officers.

We used some for our first two cruises and they worked fine. We have good quality walkies though that had sub channels. We had them turned way down and came up with a method where the person wanting to talk would do the beep thing first and wait for someone to answer. I know the norm is for everyone here to tell people to bring an old phone or iPod for their kids to use the Hub but only two of my kids have phones. The other two do not have phones as they would end up sitting in a corner playing games on them or would undoubtedly lose or break them. The walkie clipped on their lanyards and I had one in my cross body purse that I carry everywhere. Obviously the app is the easiest and most convenient to use but it isn’t always an option for everyone.