Dress code in MDR

I've seen posts about the dress code.  I'm so confused. LOL  Shorts are still not acceptable, correct?  I see that for a short time Royal allowed shorts in MDR but then quickly changed that.  What about jeans?  Nice, dark jeans and button down shirt for men, jeans and a nice blouse and heels for women?  Is that acceptable?   Thanks. 

Here is their exact wording from Royal Caribbean's FAQ section.  Since the question was "what IS the Dress Code," and not "do they enforce the Dress Code."  The Cruise Compass will list the level of suggested dress but the website suggests Smart Casual in the MDR.   Note this line: "Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch."  You can interpret this as you wish.  Simply trying to answer the actual question.  

Q

What is the dress code onboard all ships?

A

When you’re onboard, the right look will vary by venue. But here are a few types of suggested attire you’ll see, grouped by item.

• Casual: You’re on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch.
  • Smart Casual: Think of this as a step up from your typical dinner wear. Dress to impress with collared shirts, dresses, skirts and blouses, or pantsuits. Jackets, sports coats and blazers are snazzy and welcomed. 
  • Formal: Make it a night out in your best black-tie look – suits and ties, tuxedos, cocktail dresses or evening gowns. There can be 1-3 formal nights during a sailing and is at the ship’s discretion.
  •  

• Please note that bare feet are not allowed at any time in any venue and tank tops are not permitted in the Main Dining Room or Specialty Dining venues for dinner.

Edited by papaflamingo

I found it funny that I dreaded the formal night so much on my previous cruise, and they actually got rid of it for my cruise and replaced it with “dress your best” night. Either way, I embraced formal night since my girlfriend was excited for the opportunity to dress up.