Xray Scanner Question

I understand that it is generally safe to allow modern camera gear and memory cards to go through airport scanners. I'm curious if anyone has allowed their GoPro or other camera to video while running down the scanner conveyor and through the x-ray machine? I've seen a few very old forums mention that their image with a still camera passed through the machine was all white. I'm not sure why I'm posting this question here except that I've found there are a lot of wise and experienced folks here. I'll most likely stick it in one of the GoPro forums also.

Interesting question. I wonder if it would violate their "No Photography" rule in secure areas?

🙂

And on a serious note, scanners really are safe. If the scanner had enough rads to hurt the electronics in the camera, the TSA employees would all be growing extra limbs and stuff.

Dave

I had a little search because of this question.

I found some YouTube videos of gopros being sent through airport xray machines.

Biggest lesson is that it is very dark inside those things.

Cameras still functioning fine when they saw light at the end of te tunnel.

I'm not anywhere close to being a frequent flyer but thought it might be cool to do a 30 second clip of the jaws eating the camera. I know that the digital stuff has been around near 2 decades so if there was a big issue with the xray machines, it would have been all over the news and net. Hey pierces, I might have to cover the small red blinking LED with a tiny piece of black tape:) I know in the "old" days, I either had them hand inspect a 20 roll pack of film or use one of those thin lead bags to carry it in. That prompted a thorough hand inspection when I flew to Baja for the '91 eclipse.