Travel friend is sick, so now I'm a solo traveler last minute

oneloyaldawg

I don't think anyone on here is suggesting going against medical advice.  It's presumed that the upcoming trip was mentioned to the doctor and they did not say "don't go".  In that case it now depends on how she feels today.  Rest and meds are likely the most important thing now.  And the rest part can be done anywhere, including on a ship.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Unfortunately my friend isn't going to make the trip, but fortunately my mom stepped in last minute and is taking her place. Had to book a couple last minute flights, and adjust to a completely different travel friend, but happy to have someone to go with. I have to give major props to Norwegian...despite their website that says that a change of passenger is considered a rebook, i called to change the 2nd passenger and was never asked for any money! No changes fees or anything! 

This has been the most stressful 24 hours. Ive never needed a vacation more!

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, oneloyaldawg said:

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Unfortunately my friend isn't going to make the trip, but fortunately my mom stepped in last minute and is taking her place. Had to book a couple last minute flights, and adjust to a completely different travel friend, but happy to have someone to go with. I have to give major props to Norwegian...despite their website that says that a change of passenger is considered a rebook, i called to change the 2nd passenger and was never asked for any money! No changes fees or anything! 

This has been the most stressful 24 hours. Ive never needed a vacation more!

Great!  Also another example of how travel insurance (outside of buying a plan for medical and evacuation) is not needed for many (not all) travelers. Travel  Merchants (like NCL) will work with you.  Keep that money in your pockets.

51 minutes ago, Newleno said:

Great!  Also another example of how travel insurance (outside of buying a plan for medical and evacuation) is not needed for many (not all) travelers. Travel  Merchants (like NCL) will work with you.  Keep that money in your pockets.

Actually you can change the second guest at any time without penalty. 

Advising against travel insurance is not wise, there are many cases where it is useful.

It's none of our business the deal worked out between the friend and the Mom in this case, but it's possible the friend is out the cost of the trip.

3 hours ago, Mike_DeA said:

Actually you can change the second guest at any time without penalty. 

Advising against travel insurance is not wise, there are many cases where it is useful.

It's none of our business the deal worked out between the friend and the Mom in this case, but it's possible the friend is out the cost of the trip.

I have been on over 36 cruises - never paid for insurances and never needed it.  If I have medical issues on a cruise my health plan pays me back

1 hour ago, memoak said:

I have been on over 36 cruises - never paid for insurances and never needed it.  If I have medical issues on a cruise my health plan pays me back

That's great, I'm glad you have never needed it.  But not everyone is in the same situation.  Many medical plans don't cover treatment outside the U.S. or on cruise ships, let alone emergency evacuation.