League City vs Texas City?

jbethel11

Galveston hotels are way too expensive to stay in for one night. Therefore, I am looking into hotels in neighboring towns. There are two I am looking at — Hampton Inn in League City and Home2 Suites in Texas City. I like the sound of Home2 Suites as I haven't stayed in one yet. However, Hampton Inn is near Target, Sally Beauty and Best Buy, and Pride Liquor for last minute accessories, whereas only Walmart is near the Home2 Suites. I am flying into Hobby Airport the night before, so I am looking for the best "midway" hotel in terms of Ubers. Thanks!

49 minutes ago, JBSteelerfan said:

We have stayed at that Hampton a couple of times and really like the hotel and the location.  Good restaurant options very close, and also within a short drive of there.  

I really want to try Whataburger too? As a New Yorker, we don't have any. Do you even recommend that place? Or In N Out?

Just now, jbethel11 said:

I really want to try Whataburger too? As a New Yorker, we don't have any. Do you even recommend that place? Or In N Out?

Most definitely Whataburger....a Texas institution!!!  In n Out is also good, but not sure if they are in Houston.  We have them in the DFW area.  

There is a burger place we ate at last time we stayed in League City called TJ Reeds Better Burgers and Shakes and it is in Dickinson TX, just a little south of League City.  It was very good.

Howdy jbethel11 and a big fat juicy Texas-sized WELCOME to the Great State of Texas in your future! 😁

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:58 AM, jbethel11 said:

Galveston hotels are way too expensive to stay in for one night. Therefore, I am looking into hotels in neighboring towns...

... I am looking for the best "midway" hotel in terms of Ubers. Thanks!

Even though I was born on Galveston Island, I fully understand the $$ 🤑 situation. There are so many fun things to do and see there that hopefully there will be another trip to Texas in your future. Please plan accordingly so you and yours will be able to really enjoy the island we love.

Since I spent my teen years and had my High School graduation in Texas City, I consider it my home town. It hurts my heart to say this, but I feel you will have a better Uber experience in League City. Also as Rudyard says above, you will have better restaurants & shopping too.

8 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

The Whataburger restaurant in La Marque is just a couple of exits on I-45 South (aka Gulf Freeway) from where I live. https://locations.whataburger.com/tx/la-marque/6300-gulf-freeway.html It will be on your right across from Walmart on your way to Galveston Island. Take Exit 15. I go there often. I prefer it over the In-N-Out I went to in LA. 🤢. But then I am not the only one! See the BuzzFeed article titled It’s Time We All Recognized Whataburger Is Better Than In-N-Out And Shake Shack at https://www.buzzfeed.com/farrahpenn/sorry-but-whataburger-is-better-than-in-n-out.

I sincerely hope you will enjoy Texas! Here is something to help you while you are here: https://matadornetwork.com/life/mini-guide-texan-slang/

Kat 😺

Edited by TxCityKat
Typo due to fat fingers & skinny keys!
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TxCityKat said:

Howdy jbethel11 and a big fat juicy Texas-sized WELCOME to the Great State of Texas in your future! 😁

Haha, thanks! I will be sure to give you a rather small but jam-packed New York-sized WELCOME to New York when you come around, haha!

Even though I was born on Galveston Island, I fully understand the $$ 🤑 situation. There are so many fun things to do and see there that hopefully there will be another trip to Texas in your future. Please plan accordingly so you and yours will be able to really enjoy the island we love.

Yeah, since this was a 5-day cruise, I was planning on staying in Galveston after the cruise (on a weekday where it is substantially less expensive! What other things do you recommend for a family of four with two teenagers? 

The Whataburger restaurant in La Marque is just a couple of exits on I-45 South (aka Gulf Freeway) from where I live. https://locations.whataburger.com/tx/la-marque/6300-gulf-freeway.html It will be on your right across from Walmart on your way to Galveston Island. Take Exit 15.

Okay. I will most likely be eating that for dinner the night I arrive!

9 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Haha, thanks! I will be sure to give you a rather small but jam-packed New York-sized WELCOME to New York when you come around, haha!

Yeah, since this was a 5-day cruise, I was planning on staying in Galveston after the cruise (on a weekday where it is substantially less expensive! What other things do you recommend for a family of four with two teenagers? 

Okay. I will most likely be eating that for dinner the night I arrive!

You are most welcome! :classic_love:

I had an uncle that moved to Port Chester, NY when he got out of the Army. He & my cousin came down to visit us a long time ago but we never made it up there. One thing I have always wanted to see was NYC & Broadway shows.

Not knowing what type of activities your family enjoys, click here https://www.galveston.com/blog/491/10-reasons-you-should-get-on-island-time-in-galveston/ to get your research started. The whole website will be helpful. I really enjoy watching the cruise ships on the Emerald, Pier 23 and Cruise Video Cams at https://www.galveston.com/webcams/. You might want to join in on the chat below the cams. There are a lot of dedicated watchers there. 💻🔭🛳️

Take care and have a double-meat-double-cheese-with-all-the-fixings-extra-onions-just-mayo-no-mustard Whataburger with fries and a sweet iced tea for me!  🍔 🍟 

Kat 🐈

2 hours ago, TxCityKat said:

💻🔭🛳️

Take care and have a double-meat-double-cheese-with-all-the-fixings-extra-onions-just-mayo-no-mustard Whataburger with fries and a sweet iced tea for me!  🍔 🍟 

Kat 🐈

For all you non Texans be aware that for Texans it's usually mustard not mayo on a burger. I am a mayo person myself !

8 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

For all you non Texans be aware that for Texans it's usually mustard not mayo on a burger. I am a mayo person myself !

Yep! In New York ketchup is the "mustard equivalent". Mustard on a burger is just NASTY!

8 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Yea Mayo! Yes, I have been accused of being a damn yankee due to my choice. My mustard goes on hot dogs along w/onion. And none of those other vegetables I see on Yankee hot dogs! If eating a Coney hot dog w/chili, cheese & onion, no mustard for me.

8 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Yep! In New York ketchup is the "mustard equivalent". Mustard on a burger is just NASTY!

Naw, ketchup on anything but fries or onion rings is my way. I do appreciate a Burger King hamburger once & a while, but always w/no ketchup,

50 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Them's fightin' words in Texas. You don't want to know what we think about what you put on hot dogs!!

Talking about fightin' words, don't get me started about those nasty beans that will really mess up a good pot of chili!! And yes, a little sugar does go in a nice pan of cornbread. You only leave it out when making Thanksgiving turkey & dressing in my family.

Talking about fightin' words, don't get me started about those nasty beans that will really mess up a good pot of chili!! And yes, a little sugar does go in a nice pan of cornbread. You only leave it out when making Thanksgiving turkey & dressing in my family.

Now, you REALLY want a fight in New York! Lol!

9 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Oh, hell no!! That sounds like California or someplace else where they don't know how to eat!!😂😎😋

9 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Okay, we agree on something! Lol!

Amen! Y'all are preachin' to the choir!

7 hours ago, JBSteelerfan said:

... And don't forget the Dr. Pepper!

Ahhhh! My drink of choice until I had to remove all carbonated drinks from my diet due to a health problem

Dr Pepper's birthplace is in Waco, TX where I spent my elementary school years. My grandmother always had at least one of those long skinny 12-packs in her ice box (Texan for refrigerator). She truly believed there was prune juice in the recipe. ☺️

Fun Fact: Correct spelling is Dr Pepper with no period. The period went away in the 1950's. https://drpeppermuseum.com/history/