My Time Dining

1 minute ago, Midwestgal said:

I assume by the name we can show up anytime for dinner? I read people request a specific time for dinner ....can we just show up when we want in the allotted times?

Yes.

Our experience with MTD is that people do show up when they want to.  There are 2 lines on the ship and one is for those with reservations, one for those without.  

The lines for no reservations were longer and not necessarily an inordinate wait, but a longer wait than for those with reservations.  We did notice that on the lobster night, the lines for both were really long.  

It appears that diners take longer to have their dinners because many request second helpings or steak and lobster instead of just one dinner, so it takes them longer to eat.  We ended up waiting in the reservations line, and then being put into a "holding" area to wait for our table.  We were served champagne as we waited.  

This was a couple of years ago on Allure and perhaps things have changed as we no longer use the MDR for dinners.   I have also read that sometimes people have shown up with no reservations and were told to come back at 9PM or close to it because the dining room was full.  If possible, I'd suggest making reservations, even if calling earlier in the day to do so.

Just now, katiel53 said:

Our experience with MTD is that people do show up when they want to.  There are 2 lines on the ship and one is for those with reservations, one for those without.  

The lines for no reservations were longer and not necessarily an inordinate wait, but a longer wait than for those with reservations.  We did notice that on the lobster night, the lines for both were really long.  

It appears that diners take longer to have their dinners because many request second helpings or steak and lobster instead of just one dinner, so it takes them longer to eat.  We ended up waiting in the reservations line, and then being put into a "holding" area to wait for our table.  We were served champagne as we waited.  

This was a couple of years ago on Allure and perhaps things have changed as we no longer use the MDR for dinners.   I have also read that sometimes people have shown up with no reservations and were told to come back at 9PM or close to it because the dining room was full.  If possible, I'd suggest making reservations, even if calling earlier in the day to do so.

This was not our experience on Allure in February. We did make reservations for every night and never waited in a line. We arrived a little early one night and a little late one night. We also canceled our reservation one night because our plans changed. We were always seated promptly and had the same waitstaff every night. We were a group of 4 so we didn't share a table with others. Our waiter would always ask if we were in a hurry and he would pace the meal accordingly. We all had seconds on lobster night and it didn't take any longer then on any other night. I never saw a line of more then 2 or 3 people in the reservation line. Some nights there was a pretty long line for those without reservations but not every night. I hope this helps!

It is my experience that there is almost always a line for Reservations and No Reservations On Allure, Oasis, and Anthem. Also Enchantment. The lines vary from short to long to very long.

1 hour ago, katiel53 said:

The lines for no reservations were longer and not necessarily an inordinate wait,

1 hour ago, katiel53 said:

There is one factor here that doesn't seem to get mentioned a lot in the dining posts. That is what time are you talking about. I would think that it is easier to get in when it opens as opposed to prime time. Show up at 8 and get told to come back at 9 makes sense But show up at 5:30 and told to come back at 9 makes no sense. So what times are you referring to when you relate your experience?

7 minutes ago, Maplemoose said:

There is one factor here that doesn't seem to get mentioned a lot in the dining posts. That is what time are you talking about. I would think that it is easier to get in when it opens as opposed to prime time. Show up at 8 and get told to come back at 9 makes sense But show up at 5:30 and told to come back at 9 makes no sense. So what times are you referring to when you relate your experience?

Our reservations were either 6:30 or 7PM.

I'm glad to hear you don't have to make reservations.  To me that kind of defeats the purpose.  I don't mind waiting for a table like I would at a restaurant at home.  Do they give you a pager so you can go to the bar while you wait?

40 minutes ago, Plant said:

I'm glad to hear you don't have to make reservations.  To me that kind of defeats the purpose.  I don't mind waiting for a table like I would at a restaurant at home.  Do they give you a pager so you can go to the bar while you wait?

We've never had a pager while waiting for a table. I don't think that is common on Royal.

• Like 1