Single traveler but booked as a double

nycruiser80

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

So what is Celebrities reasoning for not allowing solo passengers from booking GTY categories?  Have you called Celebrity and ask if they could help you book the Z category as a solo?

Spoke with Celebrity and they said that they do not allow singles to occupy a gty category, sttating it is their policy. I went to change the room to be a single and the rate dropped as I was on the call with Celebrity so all in all I did well. Royal/Celebrity has been known for complicated pricing structures when I used to work in the travel industry and I guess they are still at it lol! Glad it worked out. Thank you all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nycruiser80 said:

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the responses. I am looking at the Celebrity Summit 8/4/19 sailing and the total for a double for a Category Z gty is $1,989.06 and the total for a single in a Category 12 is $2,176.19. It is more because it is for a non-guaranteed stateroom. 

Currently I booked this as a double with a deposit and I used my boyfriend's name and DOB as the second person. The more I read the responses and think about it, I will be changing it to a single so I don't incur any issues.

Thanks again everyone.

This was brought up on another line's forum and it was determined (and I am no lawyer)  that as long as it isn't done as an insurance scam it was kosher:  

"book a room for two to get a room to yourself, all for the cost of one plus insurance paying for the non-passenger"

Committing insurance fraud is one thing but what you are doing is not the same ... especially since you are already paying for the second passenger.  The most they should do is to refund you the second passenger's taxes and fees.  

this topic reminds me of how expensive 1 way air fare is to and from Europe.

I have been tempted to just book a round trip and not show up for the return.  I hate that for some reason 1 way to and from europe are double a r/t.  No this way in USA.

But I would feel guilty of not showing up and this is why airlines over book to accommodate the game people play to avoid higher fares.

So in the end, I also would not book 2 people in a room and say one did not show up.  Just seems not a good idea.

• 3 weeks later...

I can understand paying 200% for the cabin but why are singles charged the same as a double if buying the perks package?  I can understand you get double the $150 credit($300 total) but double the other perks doesn't make sense for someone traveling alone, as in why would a single person need 2 beverage packages, double gratuities???

Hopefully, I'm wrong about this and someone will correct me...

Edited by red919

1 hour ago, red919 said:

I can understand paying 200% for the cabin but why are singles charged the same as a double if buying the perks package?  I can understand you get double the $150 credit($300 total) but double the other perks doesn't make sense for someone traveling alone, as in why would a single person need 2 beverage packages, double gratuities???

Hopefully, I'm wrong about this and someone will correct me...

Traveling solo I never book the beverage package or gratuities as my perks.  I do the OBC and internet. Or I don't do any perks, usually the fare without the perks comes down the amount the perks would cost if booked as packages. Also look for a resident rate without perks, you may be surprised. Those perks are not free. It is marketing.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

I think you will find honesty in the best policy.  Celebrity can check your booking and will know if you are being truthful or not.  I would think if you are truthful they may be more inclined to help you.  If you lie to them,  not so much.

On 5/2/2019 at 8:51 PM, nycruiser80 said:

Spoke with Celebrity and they said that they do not allow singles to occupy a gty category, sttating it is their policy. I went to change the room to be a single and the rate dropped as I was on the call with Celebrity so all in all I did well. Royal/Celebrity has been known for complicated pricing structures when I used to work in the travel industry and I guess they are still at it lol! Glad it worked out. Thank you all.

You were given wrong info. My friend is traveling solo and has booked a gty cabin on the fall TA . She has done this before as well

With regards to the more than 200% solo supplement - I can easily see how that can happen. I was booking through a internet travel agent to take advantage of a great sale price and OBC/drink benefits. The discount code did not work for a single occupancy cabin. I was able to call the travel agent and get the discount applied  - it made no sense to me or the agent that I should pay *more* than my parents in the literal cabin next door when I was one person.  If going through an online system, I can totally see how a solo cruiser would get dinged twice - once for the solo supplement, and once for loss of promotion code

I just booked the Summit for June 5 as a solo cruiser. I spoke with Celebrity twice as well as two other internet discount Cruise sites multiple times. I was not able to book a guaranty AQ rate for one person.  Their single rate was several hundred more than the guarantee rate plus I would have to pay double if I wanted perks. After many calls, one internet cruise site was able to provide a solo rate equal to two times the guarantee rate by using a friends and family special. However I did not receive the OBC their company was giving as a perk for booking with them. IMHO, Celebrity is discouraging solo cruisers.  I don't mind paying a double rate as essentially you pay for the room, similar to booking a hotel. However, not being allowed to book any discount fare and having to pay double for perks is a bit discriminatory,  particularly when passengers 3&4 sail free. Spending $ beyond the fare seems to be the driver.

10 minutes ago, mdv31616 said:

I just booked the Summit for June 5 as a solo cruiser. I spoke with Celebrity twice as well as two other internet discount Cruise sites multiple times. I was not able to book a guaranty AQ rate for one person.  Their single rate was several hundred more than the guarantee rate plus I would have to pay double if I wanted perks. After many calls, one internet cruise site was able to provide a solo rate equal to two times the guarantee rate by using a friends and family special. However I did not receive the OBC their company was giving as a perk for booking with them. IMHO, Celebrity is discouraging solo cruisers.  I don't mind paying a double rate as essentially you pay for the room, similar to booking a hotel. However, not being allowed to book any discount fare and having to pay double for perks is a bit discriminatory,  particularly when passengers 3&4 sail free. Spending $ beyond the fare seems to be the driver.

I booked that sailing a few days ago as a solo cruiser. I did an ocean view guarantee. They told my travel agent they were not supposed to book it as a solo at the guarantee rate. But she could ask a supervisor to allow it. They did.