Adobe Photography Plan now $20

I am not sure how many use the Adobe $9.99 Photography Plan (20 GB)...they have ended that and are now bringing it to 1TB and increasing the price to $20. The 1TB plan used to be $14.99, I believe.

There's still a $9.99 plan--but it's only for Lightroom CC. Not even LR Classic.

58740061_10156312917386365_1115204076770951168_n.jpg

I haven't received a notification of a price increase, so I assume the new pricing is for new sign-ups. Requiring users to buy un-needed storage seems a bad loyalty program. Maybe their marketing department figures they can lose half their subscribers and break even?

I also read that you can still get the current plan but have to call customer service to get it.

Dave

I've been looking at there plans since I bought a new laptop and GoPro. I got there full package of Premier Elements and PhotoShop Elements for $99 for the new laptop. This purchase is also replacing PS6 on the desktop. It is clear to me now that Premiere Elements will not edit HVEC video. I'm an amateur and just cannot justify spending $250/year on their Premiere Pro so I'm looking at the CyberLink PowerDirector which will edit HVEC vids. I'm very curious why one would purchase the $20/yr version of PS or LR when so many other editors do what 99% of the rank and file amateur shooters do. I have a lot of amateur astronomer friends that use PS occasionally but most of what they do is with small specialty applications for stacking images, etc.

4 minutes ago, masterdrago said:

I've been looking at there plans since I bought a new laptop and GoPro. I got there full package of Premier Elements and PhotoShop Elements for $99 for the new laptop. This purchase is also replacing PS6 on the desktop. It is clear to me now that Premiere Elements will not edit HVEC video. I'm an amateur and just cannot justify spending $250/year on their Premiere Pro so I'm looking at the CyberLink PowerDirector which will edit HVEC vids. I'm very curious why one would purchase the $20/yr version of PS or LR when so many other editors do what 99% of the rank and file amateur shooters do. I have a lot of amateur astronomer friends that use PS occasionally but most of what they do is with small specialty applications for stacking images, etc.

Answering this is going to get a little tricky. I can speak from my professional photographer's perspective. It goes beyond being able to edit images...it comes down to editing the images quickly and optimizing a workflow.

When I shoot imagery, it will upload to the CC (cloud) and I can cull remotely. I can do next edits remotely on my mobile devices or anything with a decent web browser. When an edit is done, I can sync across multiple images, do batch processing, and leverage plugins for further editing and exporting.

Now scale that to thousands of images taken in a weekend.

That's a very high level view, but it's because Adobe software is a standard that many others develop for and it has really become a critical part of many photographer's workflow.

That being said, your workflow is your own and you'll do what works for you. I remember when I used to be able to go my edits on free software that Google provided over a decade and a half ago (who remembers Picasa?). But it never scaled well, so as my work and clients grew, I needed to change my software.

I remember a line in the Denzel Washington movie "Man on Fire". "I'm a Professional, I'm a Professional". Clearly there are those that can reap great benefits using the higher end Adobe products. And those that can afford them, even if not really needed. I'm neither a professional nor wealthy. But I'm learning. Thanks for the hint on Rush. I'll check into it.

15 minutes ago, masterdrago said:

I remember a line in the Denzel Washington movie "Man on Fire". "I'm a Professional, I'm a Professional". Clearly there are those that can reap great benefits using the higher end Adobe products. And those that can afford them, even if not really needed. I'm neither a professional nor wealthy. But I'm learning. Thanks for the hint on Rush. I'll check into it.

Oh man--I hope I don't come off as that guy from that movie. Yikes.

But for sure, if you have inexpensive software that can do the job you want--by all means. There's plenty of stuff out there that actually do a really great job. In fact, my most popular workshop that I teach is the Mobile Photography Workflow (I'm actually working on a customized one for a local camera shop right now). In that class, I talk about various mobile software--some that range from free all the way to the CC stuff that Adobe sells (the article that kicked off this class: https://alphauniverse.com/stories/completely-mobile/)

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 1.49.06 PM.png

22 hours ago, spthealien said:

most popular workshop that I teach is the Mobile Photography Workflow (I'm actually working on a customized one for a local camera shop right now). In that class, I talk about various mobile software--some that range from free all the way to the CC stuff that Adobe sells (the article that kicked off this class: https://alphauniverse.com/stories/completely-mobile/)

Thanks for posting the above.

Am planning a trip right now and had in mind my Mac Lite, iPad, Kindle, external hard drive etc in addition to two A6xxx and lenses!

So your article gives me pause for thought.

The proposed increase in Adobe from $10 to $20 and without Photoshop (Bridge?) is making me wonder about Dave's suggestion of Adobe Elements coupled with Luminar!

It may be Adobe doesn't want rank-amateurs with limited income (and usage)

anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

You know that price increase Adobe floated?

It sank.

$10 program is back on the subscription page.

Adobe.jpg.c47d1373651ca082a487bb49164e68d9.jpg

What's with all these big businesses listening lately? 😉

Dave