Should I exchange for foreign currencies for Philippines and Vietnam?

tdk1938

I booked a Celebrity cruise that sails from HK to Singapore that calls ports in Philippines and Vietnam.  We plan to stay few extra days for pre cruise and post cruise hotels in HK and Singapore so I am planning to exchange some HK $ and Singapore $. But should I get Philippines Peso and Vietnam currency?

Do you know any reputable tour operators in Boracay, Palawan Philippines and Chan May, Nha Trang and Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam.

My cruise is in January 2021, so I have plenty of time to research and plan.

Thanks

I’m just back from a cruise with four stops in Vietnam - vi also just paid smaller purchases with US$ - sensed that they even preferred $ rather than local currency- for bigger purchases credit card was accepted.

Can only help with Vietnam, Singapore and Hong Kong, We changed  currencies.

Agree with previous posters..

Vietnamese Dong is difficult to deal with as there are thousands of them.

Merchants seemed to prefer to receive US Dollars.

Used Singapore dollars in Singapore..not sure about US Dollars

Used HK Dollars in HK with no Problems...not sure if US Dollars were used as short time there. Brought some HK Dollars home.

Used cruiseline's tours in both places...overpriced but useful for a first visit ..our ship docked at a container port in  Phu My, 90 mins away from Ho Chi Minh and for disembarkation tour in HK to store luggage then drop us and luggage at airport.

You have plenty of time so do lots of research and enjoy when the time comes.

Vietnam will take USD, but you'll be rounded up to the next dollar or 2, which is okay, since stuff is pretty cheap anyway.  Just make sure that you bargain hard when buying market goods.

VN Rent a Car was the least expensive option that I found for a private transfer from the port to HCMC.  They drive you to all the sites that you want to see and back to the ship.  You pay admission fee at whatever sites you want and for your own lunch.  I bought coffee for the driver.

In Chan May, I found a local girl named Tanya outside the port that took a group of us to Da Nang for the day.  They bring you by shopping stops, but you can veto that and tell them that you want to go directly to the Marble Mountain elevators and to Da Nang city.