Searching for things

Hi, I am new to the forum and new to cruising - hence will be using the forum a lot !

I want to search ports but when I am in forum tab and type in Rotterdam, loads of things come up but none seem relevant.

I would like to know what is there, and other people’s experiences and opinions.

i would like to do this for all ports I shall be visiting so would like to get it right from the start.

Thanks for your help

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

What you would like to do is search in a specific board/forum (e.g., Western Europe for info on Rotterdam), not "everywhere" (which is the search default).   To do that (on a desktop or laptop, or tablet in landscape orientation), go to the forum that you want to search; click in the search box that is under your username in the upper right corner; this will open a drop down menu.  In that menu, select "This Forum" in order to limit your search that specific forum (board).

If you ever want to do a search in an individual thread, select "This Topic." 

If your search term is more than a single word, put quotes around it:  "New York"

I hope that's helpful.  Let us know if you are still having a problem.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  If you go back to the main Boards page (click Home to get there) and scroll down about 3/4 of the way, you will see Ports of Call.  There you will find the world divided up...Click on Europe

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/8-europe/  and then Northern Europe & Baltic Sea

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/116-northern-europe-amp-baltic-sea/

You can post your questions there, but when doing a search, using the lozenge/box in the upper right, you type in your subject, and when the boxes drop down, click on 'this forum' the filter out everything that mentions Rotterdam in other parts of the forum.

I'm sure someone will be along to explain it better than I can...EM

Welcome to CC.

The first, and best, place to go for port information is the "Ports of Call" section of the forum (if you haven't noticed it already). From the CC homepage, it's near the bottom of the page. Just go to section of the region your ports of call are located in, then look for your specific ports.

To narrow down your searches, go into a specific section of the forum. For example, right now we're in the forum help section. Use the search bar found right under your CC username. When you click on the search bar, a drop-down menu appears. Enter your search term and choose "This Forum" from the drop-down menu. That'll isolate your searches to the forum section your in. The default is "Everywhere" and that's why you're seeing search results from all over the message boards. You can explore that drop-down menu for other ways to narrow down your searches. Hope this helps.

Edited to add: As soon as I finished this, the other two comments popped up, so sorry for the repeat info.

Edited by Organized Chaos
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

What you would like to do is search in a specific board/forum (e.g., Western Europe for info on Rotterdam), not "everywhere" (which is the search default).  

4 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

If you go back to the main Boards page (click Home to get there) and scroll down about 3/4 of the way, you will see Ports of Call.  There you will find the world divided up...Click on Europe

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/8-europe/  and then Northern Europe & Baltic Sea

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/116-northern-europe-amp-baltic-sea/

I'm just posting to let @Helpfulherbie know that we are both "right" about where to find info on Rotterdam. :classic_smile:  I used the Western Europe sub-forum in my reply because it specifically lists Amsterdam, and because the Northern Europe sub-forum doesn't list any ports in the Netherlands.  However, because the Europe board is so confusing, and because Rotterdam could be considered in Northern Europe (as well as in Western Europe), you'll find info about Rotterdam in both the Western and Northern Europe sub-forums when you do a search.

Herbie: most of Cruise Critic is very straightforward, especially once you've taken some time to browse through the various forums and see what is where.  But some of the Ports of Call sub-forums are geographically perplexing, as you've seen from the Rotterdam example.   Another example  -- France is listed under the Europe/Mediterranean sub-forum, even though a good bit of the French coast does not border on the Med.  Folks thus get confused about where to find info and ask questions about Le Havre and other French ports not on the Med, which is why there are posts about Le Havre in the Western Europe sub-forum as well as in the Med/France sub-forum.

On the other side of the pond, if you are looking for information about Puntarenas, Costa Rica, for example, a port on that country's Pacific Coast, it's quite a challenge to find it, since Costa Rica is in the Caribbean sub-forum.   :classic_wacko:

CC is still a great resource!

Edited by Turtles06

Hello everyone, thanks so much for taking the time and trouble to reply to me.

so helpful 🙂

I have now managed to navigate a bit and understand a bit of where to find info.

you are all stars ️