Puerto Rico Departures and Hotel Stays

sds

Hello everyone I know this is the Florida departure boards but looking for some guidance on departures from Puerto Rico and places to stay before 

We stayed at the Best Western Plus Condado Palm Inn & Suites in Condado just over the bridge from Old San Juan. It is a few miles away from the pier so you will need to get an uber or taxi, but the nightlife and restaurants are excellent. The hotel is just a block away from the beach and on the main drag (Ashford Ave). We stayed in the north tower on the 14th floor in a suite that was very large with a great ocean view. It also had a outside deck that we spent a lot of time on just people watching. The Hotel provides bicycles that you can take out for two hours at a time complementary to all guests. First come first served. I call Henry, the General directly and he hooked us up with a sweet room for well below the cheapest price that I could find. The hotel had a free continental breakfast which was a bonus.  I hope this helps!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I also stayed at the Best Western Plus Condado Palm Inn & Suites.  The pool area is nice, and the location is close to the beach and restaurants.  I think it was around a $15 cab ride to/from the cruise port.  Cabs charge $1 per bag so prices will vary depending on how many bags of luggage you have.  We didn't get hooked up from Henry but got a great price on Priceline Name Your Own Price.  Here's a list of known San Juan hotels on Priceline: http://www.hoteldealsrevealed.com/hotelinventory/priceline/pr/san-juan  

After our cruise, we stayed at El Canario by the Lagoon.  This hotel is in the same general area as the Best Western Palm Inn, but not nearly as nice.  If you are on a tight budget, it will suffice.  I found that rates fluctuated quite a bit.  The night before our cruise, prices were quite expensive but after our cruise, they were very reasonable.

Airbnb is a fantastic option in San Juan.

Just got back from a precruise stay in Ocean Park, 4 houses from the beach . . .$100 a night, and that is after the taxes and fees.  They offered beach chairs, umbrellas, towels, coolers, excellent security.  Room for 4, but only 2 of us.

Best part was Uber was $5 or less everywhere.  Went to La Placita 3 nights in a row, spent $20 those 6 Ubers.

Did a post night stay at Embassy Suites in Isla Verde, and it was also nice . . . .but that one ran me $180 after taxes and fees . . . . And that was after me doing a Hotwire deal and Coupon . . . .that place pushes near $300 a night on the regular.

The main weakness of Airbnb is the lack of it being “full service”.  The owners aren’t coming in to make your bed, change your towels and all that stuff . . .. but they do very well to accomodate any problems you have.

I will continue to seek out my options but I am way more open to airbnb now

Thrice, we've Airbnb'd in Old San Juan- and we really enjoyed it.  Maybe not the best for one or two nights, but for a week, it saves a ton of money.  

The big question is where you want to stay- Old San Juan, Condado, Isla Verde, or someplace outside of San Juan?  We have been in Old San Juan, Ponce, and Rio Grande for stays.  Others have had great times in Isla Verde and Condado.  

5 hours ago, kdawg954 said:

Airbnb is a fantastic option in San Juan.

Just got back from a precruise stay in Ocean Park, 4 houses from the beach . . .$100 a night, and that is after the taxes and fees.  They offered beach chairs, umbrellas, towels, coolers, excellent security.  Room for 4, but only 2 of us.

Best part was Uber was $5 or less everywhere.  Went to La Placita 3 nights in a row, spent $20 those 6 Ubers.

Did a post night stay at Embassy Suites in Isla Verde, and it was also nice . . . .but that one ran me $180 after taxes and fees . . . . And that was after me doing a Hotwire deal and Coupon . . . .that place pushes near $300 a night on the regular.

The main weakness of Airbnb is the lack of it being “full service”.  The owners aren’t coming in to make your bed, change your towels and all that stuff . . .. but they do very well to accomodate any problems you have.

I will continue to seek out my options but I am way more open to airbnb now

What area is Ocean Park? Were there restaurants, bars, etc. nearby?

7 minutes ago, hrmkr said:

What area is Ocean Park? Were there restaurants, bars, etc. nearby?

Ocean Park is less than a mile east of Condado.  It is more resedential and less flashy than Condado.

Calle Loiaza is the main strip and there are many good coffee shops, restaurants and plenty of nightlife as well . . . But I took Uber to La Placita every night.  5 minutes away as was Condado. Pinky's was excellent for Breakfast.

I was torn between here and Condado but the cheap Ubers made it a non factor and I felt like I got more of an authentic San Juan beach experience instead of the Miami Beach experience I felt walking Condado.

4 minutes ago, kdawg954 said:

Ocean Park is less than a mile east of Condado.  It is more resedential and less flashy than Condado.

Calle Loiaza is the main strip and there are many good coffee shops, restaurants and plenty of nightlife as well . . . But I took Uber to La Placita every night.  5 minutes away as was Condado. Pinky's was excellent for Breakfast.

I was torn between here and Condado but the cheap Ubers made it a non factor and I felt like I got more of an authentic San Juan beach experience instead of the Miami Beach experience I felt walking Condado.

What was the name of the place?

We have stayed in OSJ before and loved the area.  Depends what time we arrive in SJ as to where we may stay.  Haven't booked our flight yet.  If we arrive early, going to  the beach would be nice. 

4 minutes ago, hrmkr said:

What was the name of the place?

We have stayed in OSJ before and loved the area.  Depends what time we arrive in SJ as to where we may stay.  Haven't booked our flight yet.  If we arrive early, going to  the beach would be nice. 

I will get the info and post either later or tomorrow.  It was a really cool place as there were like 8 guest houses an outside bar and grill, outside shower, boogie boards, etc.

Believe check in was at 1 and checkout at noon.

Keep in mind there are many options so check the site as well and the reviews of the places. But this place was really cool and extremely secure.