If you are relying on your credit card insurance ....

Some credit card insurance state you need a RETURN ticket to qualify. So if you are not returning on the boat you left on make sure you have your return to Australia booked before final payment (Mine is Westpac )and it is one of the conditions.

Cheers Carole

Thank you for taking the time to give the heads up.  I'm fairly new to CC insurance cover (VISA Platinum) but have chosen to use this from now on.  Travel Insurance is so very expensive if you're buying what you've already got courtesy of a CC.  I did my homework and read the T&Cs word for word and I'm happy (at least I think and hope I am) with my choice.  Mind you, you never can tell until you need it.  🤞

50 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Thank you for taking the time to give the heads up.  I'm fairly new to CC insurance cover (VISA Platinum) but have chosen to use this from now on.  Travel Insurance is so very expensive if you're buying what you've already got courtesy of a CC.  I did my homework and read the T&Cs word for word and I'm happy (at least I think and hope I am) with my choice.  Mind you, you never can tell until you need it.  🤞

Your welcome,I have only done 3 cruises myself but have done lots of land trips.

I have learned a lot from seasoned cruisers on this forum.

Cheers Carole 

Thank you for the info on your credit card travel insurance.

Before you go on your cruise - you & others should learn the difference between a BOAT & a SHIP - so you do not seem to be uneducated.  A Ship is never a boat, but so many so called educated people like the deputy prime minister,  shadow trade minister & most of our media don't know what is correct. 

See Wikipedia.

Photo of new USA female master in Celebrity Cruises & examples.

Do not call it a Boat.jpg

BOAT.jpg

motor boat.jpg

Ship.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SeaDog-46 said:

Thank you for the info on your credit card travel insurance.

Before you go on your cruise - you & others should learn the difference between a BOAT & a SHIP - so you do not seem to be uneducated.  A Ship is never a boat, but so many so called educated people like the deputy prime minister,  shadow trade minister & most of our media don't know what is correct. 

See Wikipedia.

Photo of new USA female master in Celebrity Cruises & examples.

Do not call it a Boat.jpg

BOAT.jpg

motor boat.jpg

Ship.jpg

I love it .

On 5/6/2019 at 10:02 AM, Elorac123 said:

Some credit card insurance state you need a RETURN ticket to qualify. So if you are not returning on the boat you left on make sure you have your return to Australia booked before final payment (Mine is Westpac )and it is one of the conditions.

Cheers Carole

Carole,

We are about to leave on our 14th cruise on the 23rd of this month (to Japan) - Cruise more than some, not near as many as others.

From day one we took out Travel Insurance with Companies who we could both trust and understand the policies that we were buying. Never once considered leaving our health and safety to the vagaries of our cc insurance, but we are all different aren’t we, and so far haven’t needed to use it.

Yes it’s expensive, but so are our holidays - and nowhere near as valuable as our health.

(And no need to have return tickets to qualify 😉)

Happy cruising, Rose 🌹

Edited by Porky55

11 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Carole,

We are about to leave on our 14th cruise on the 23rd of this month (to Japan) - Cruise more than some, not near as many as others.

From day one we took out Travel Insurance with Companies who we could both trust and understand the policies that we were buying. Never once considered leaving our health and safety to the vagaries of our cc insurance, but we are all different aren’t we, and so far haven’t needed to use it.

Yes it’s expensive, but so are our holidays - and nowhere near as valuable as our health.

(And no need to have return tickets to qualify 😉)

Happy cruising, Rose 🌹

To each his own, I have never had a claim in all the many years that I have travelled and hope I never have to but I would not rely on CC insurance if I had not looked in to it thoroughly and understood the wording, that is the reason for my post as the “return” clause can easily be missed by some. (Just trying to help)

That being said I do have a friend who has needed to claim from her CC and be brought home without any drama.

Cheers Carole

• Thanks 1

I have made claims off the CC card insurance when it applied and also off the NRMA policy which we have now. IMO, Insurance is necessary to cover for mishaps or accidents but it is of no use if you do not claim when appropriate.

• Haha 1

Doesn't really matter who you insure with but it's definitely a case of reading the T&Cs and applying it to yourself.

The credit cards all use normal underwriters same as the  paid insurance companies.

I've now acquired a pre existing condition and have a to pay a fee on top of the free insurance with CBA.

It was all clear and straightforward. The CBA one is with Covermore.

Haven't ever thought of a nurse to accompany you back. Wonder if that's normal?

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I suppose it depends on what is wrong. In any case you are correct in making sure you are covered for what you require.

It cost me $40 for my little complaint and peace of mind

Cheers Carole

This is a copy of the Policy for an ANZ Platinum Credit Card .

No exclusions if you book multiple one way Air Ticket or don't do a return to the same Port Cruise

Eligibility for cover Your cover is automatic as long as at least half of your prepaid travel expenses are paid for with your ANZ Premium Card during a period of insurance. Where an ANZ Premium Card is not an accepted means of payment, you will be covered if you pay using funds from any of your other ANZ accounts. Prepaid travel expenses include the cost of transport, accommodation and other travel itinerary items, including any taxes paid before departure. Your family travelling with you will also be automatically covered.

What card are you using as it seems to be short of the norm ?

18 minutes ago, kowhairob said:

This is a copy of the Policy for an ANZ Platinum Credit Card .

No exclusions if you book multiple one way Air Ticket or don't do a return to the same Port Cruise

Eligibility for cover Your cover is automatic as long as at least half of your prepaid travel expenses are paid for with your ANZ Premium Card during a period of insurance. Where an ANZ Premium Card is not an accepted means of payment, you will be covered if you pay using funds from any of your other ANZ accounts. Prepaid travel expenses include the cost of transport, accommodation and other travel itinerary items, including any taxes paid before departure. Your family travelling with you will also be automatically covered.

What card are you using as it seems to be short of the norm ?

Hi, I suppose you are asking me as I was the original poster ?

Don’t  know what you mean by short of the Norm, each provider/insurer has different rules so nothing is “norm” For instance your ANZ requires a huge 50% to be used on card where my Westpac only requires $500 per person.

from the policy

• Return travel ticket. You have a return overseas travel ticket before leaving Australia.
  •  

Cheers Carole

Edited by Elorac123
Missed inclusion

Hi Carole , Sorry about the way i had written in response to you , typical bloke type first , think later . 

We had found by using the ANZ Platinum card we got the travel insurance and also frequent flyer points as well. When we use the Big American Travel Agencies there are no credit card surcharges as they have here in New Zealand .

My wife has a medical condition which we have informed the Credit Card Insurer about so we still get cover but not for any pre existing conditions  , we still think at this stage that the Credit card insurance is best for us. Hopefully that wont change in the near future .