Examples of Included Wines

Mahogany

My opinion,

The Silver Spirits package is a steal price wise. Grey Goose Martini's and lots of top shelf spirits are included. If you only occasionally drink spirits its not worth it. I found the ability to get a margarita made with Patron and a shot of Grand Marnier without worrying about paying for it worth it. Plus after 3 visits to the Chefs Table with the included upgrade its a bargain. Viking really does not gouge on the package or bar prices if you don't have the package. Its just nice to not have to worry about prices once on board. 

On NCL we bought the package but both of us (mostly me) thought we were drinking more than usual, just to get the benefit of the package.  Since I have a credit from our TA, I will buy drinks ala carte.

5 minutes ago, zitsky said:

On NCL we bought the package but both of us (mostly me) thought we were drinking more than usual, just to get the benefit of the package.  Since I have a credit from our TA, I will buy drinks ala carte.

We had a similar experience on Viking Sea.  We had bought a future cruise a few days after we got on board and so got unexpected credits applied.  It seemed at the time like a good idea to get the Silver Spirits package to try it out, especially since it was a shorter cruise (as it is $40/day - $20 each in a cabin-both have to have it).   No doubt the wines were often better, but perhaps that was because there were many choices.  We were particularly enamored with the Penfolds Shiraz.  Some of the California wines, which I know well, really were not premium wines and just OK (like Gnarly Head).  We also wound up drinking more just to take advantage of the package.  However, from our observations, it appeared most onboard who had the package were more hard liquor drinkers, not wine drinkers - and several said that is where it really pays off (Vodka, Scotch, Bourbon, fancy drinks, etc).  Since we just drink wine (and beer), it probably didn't pay for us to get it, and on our recent cruise, we did not.  Particularly when you can bring a bottle of wine onto the ship and no corkage fees in the restaurants or World Cafe.   When we wanted something else (like an after dinner drink), we just ordered a la carte.   Especially nice is that they now have Sparkling Wine free at meal times (which pleased my wife no end!).  And they have upped the selection of beers available (used to be just Carlsberg draft).

Does the Silver Spirits package include any other non-alcoholic drinks such as specialty coffees/teas, sodas, or are these no cost (outside of mealtime?). Have been on river cruises with Viking, but not ocean yet, so not sure what it is like for drinks compared to river cruises. First ocean cruise in August. Have never felt the need for a package on the river cruises. Usually 1 cocktail before dinner and then just the included wines. The 1 cocktail was cheaper ala carte than using a package. Also, assume water  is given out freely like on the river cruises? I know on other ocean lines you need a drink package or they charge you for water, coffees, etc, nothing is free. 

For cabins that come with the following perk, is wine included as an alcoholic beverage replenished daily? If so, is there a choice of wines available?

• Mini-bar with alcoholic beverages, soft drinks, water & snacks (replenished once daily); security safe; hair dryer