Currencies for Baltic ports

I am going on a Baltic/Scandinavian 11 day cruise this August 2019, which starts & ends in Copenhagen/Denmark(will be in Copenhagen for 2 days prior to cruise).

Our cruise will take us to 6 other countries other than Denmark(Sweden, Finland, Russia, Estonia, Germany & Norway). I wanted to know if I should be getting spending money in all 7 countries or will the Euro or U.S.$$ be ok to use in each country.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!  Sal

Finland, Estland, Germany  are EUro countries.  In Norway, Denmark, Sweden and Russia: I did not see their coins or papermoney. Paid with a creditcard or what we call a "pinpas" (immediate payment with number code).  Take care that you know the code of your credit card (I paid meals in Russia, toilets in Norway etc etc for fellow passengers with mine…… 🙂 ). And if in need you must be able to find an ATM.  I would not worry.    (And I just checked my books: I paid all gratuities in those countries with EUro ; never a problem, however I do advise you not to use the EUro coins in non-Euro countries for this purpose.)  

For Denmark, Norway and Sweden do not get local currency - all 'Kroner' (Crowns) in different values - can be confusing.

In tourist locations you might get away using US$ or € - but very poor exchange rate. Most can be paid by credit card as said by MAVIP - highly recommended to have a chip and pin card.

And you do not need to pay gratitudes in Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden - all services and VAT included in all prices.

Edited by hallasm
spelling

6 minutes ago, hallasm said:

For Denmark, Norway and Sweden do not get local currency - all 'Kroner' (Crowns) in different values - can be confusing.

In tourist locations you might get away using US$ or € - but very poor exchange rate. Most can be paid by credit card as said by MAVIP - highly recommended to have a chip and pin card.

And you do not need to pay gratitudes in Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden - all services and VAT included in all prices.

You are absolutely right! , but sometimes I do. I checked: street musicians in Helsinki, and Tallinn, beggar in Tallinn, several churches…. Drivers and guides in St Petersburg.  And of course I paid a few things in our own money in Euro countries: cabs for example do not always offer the possibility of creditcard payment, nor do market stalls near cruiseterminals. And our cabinstewards sailing the whole summerseason in Europe always appreciated the extra's in Euro's.

41 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

cabs for example do not always offer the possibility of creditcard payment

You should be able to pay taxi by Credit Card in Denmark, Norway in Sweden. 

In Denmark and Norway however you cannot use credit card in public busses. If you plan to use public transportation App are available.

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

You should be able to pay taxi by Credit Card in Denmark, Norway in Sweden. 

Thanks a lot for the info, I will remember this summer. Last time in Stockholm I had to pay cash (Euro accepted….).

2 hours ago, MAVIP said:

Last time in Stockholm I had to pay cash

I have been travelling a lot to Stockholm - never had a problem with Credit Card - you can ask before you enter the taxi, and take the next in line if not accepting CC - normally they have a label with accepted cc next to the mandatory label with prices.  Note that Taxi prices are not regulated in Sweden and can vary a lot.  I'm only using Taxi Stockholm (preferred - using their App), Sverige taxi (Yellow cabs) or Taxi Kurir. Might be other 'reliable' companies but this is the  taxi companies where I have never experienced problems.

9 hours ago, hallasm said:

I have been travelling a lot to Stockholm - never had a problem with Credit Card - you can ask before you enter the taxi, and take the next in line if not accepting CC - normally they have a label with accepted cc next to the mandatory label with prices.  Note that Taxi prices are not regulated in Sweden and can vary a lot.  I'm only using Taxi Stockholm (preferred - using their App), Sverige taxi (Yellow cabs) or Taxi Kurir. Might be other 'reliable' companies but this is the  taxi companies where I have never experienced problems.

Thank you; I will keep your advise in my "Stockholm notes".  Just for the information: we could not take the next in line, we were almost fighting for one, because the 2nd cruise day in Stockholm Hop on Hop off choose not to come to our quay to pick up alle the passengers who bought a 2-day ticket....😞 if I remember well: 7 cruiseships that day.