HAL pricing

Kate45

We are booked on a repo cruise - Quebec City to Ft Lauderdale this fall. Are in the process of looking and booking shore excursions and onboard extras like dining, in-cabin drinks, obc etc.... So as a Canadian, cruise prices on HAL are priced in Canadian dollars BUT are all the little extras mentioned above, priced in Canadian as well?  My TA says no, they are in US$, according to HAL, but says that doesn't seem right so I am asking my cc friends who know everything!  Remember, we live in Canada and when we go on HAL website, cabins are priced in Canadian $, so shouldn't all extras (drinks pkgs, dining pkgs, shore excursions, and even obc) be priced in Cdn$ as well?

The currency used onboard HAL ships is the USD.  We Canadians have to suck it up.  (Or try to get enough onboard credit/perks from our TA, shareholder benefit and HAL to cover our onboard costs.)

Edited by Alberta Quilter

Okay so I should have maybe been more descriptive. I know once onboard everything is in US$. But, if I can look on the HAL sight to get a cabin price in Cdn funds (not my choice but theirs-as it is automatic lay priced in Cdn$), then shouldn't all the other options available to book off the website be priced the same........in Cdn$?

2 minutes ago, Kate45 said:

Okay so I should have maybe been more descriptive. I know once onboard everything is in US$. But, if I can look on the HAL sight to get a cabin price in Cdn funds (not my choice but theirs-as it is automatic lay priced in Cdn$), then shouldn't all the other options available to book off the website be priced the same........in Cdn$?

It isn't.

12 minutes ago, Kate45 said:

Nope.  If you don't already have one, you might want to get a US$ credit card.  BMO has one; not sure about the other banks but they probably do.  I make my pre-cruise online purchases using the US$ credit card and have funds in a US$ bank account to pay it.  That way I can purchase USD when the exchange rate is lower.  Alternatively, there are some credit cards that do not charge a foreign exchange fee and will bill you in CAD - Home Trust Visa is one (but they don't seem to post the exchange rate so the no fee seems a little fishy to me; I haven't used it much myself.)  However, the Home Trust Visa is free and the BMO Mastercard is not free (unless you charge US$1000/year).