upselling

Just off Mariner, the up-selling on Royal is really getting out of hand. Friends were telling me this at least a year ago but my answer was always "no-one forces you to buy anything". Now I have to agree with them. On a 4 night cruise, the first 2 days were uncomfortable with it. Were stopped several times after embarking with the drinks package sell and the spa treatments sell and the specialty restaurants sell. First night at dinner (and every other night) we get the waiter trying to sell the lobster upcharge dinner. I'm enjoying the main course, spaghetti bolognese and another waiter comes to the table, " Oh sir, you like pasta, you must come to Jamie's" and tells me all about it. Now these are nice people and I don't want to be rude, I have a joke with him and say "what part of Italy is Jamie Oliver from?" After dinner the same guy gets me leaving the dining room, I said joking "are you stalking me?" I actually think he was! Another time at dinner we get the 'Galley tour' offer. I assume the salespeople are either on commission or just under the cosh to sell a quota. 

I really hate upselling as well. I hate being mean to people and saying no so it makes me feel bad. But I REALLY hate them trying to sell me stuff after my massage. I just had a relaxing massage, it makes me tense right away and ruins it for me. 

2 hours ago, eastender said:

Just off Mariner, the up-selling on Royal is really getting out of hand. Friends were telling me this at least a year ago but my answer was always "no-one forces you to buy anything". Now I have to agree with them. On a 4 night cruise, the first 2 days were uncomfortable with it. Were stopped several times after embarking with the drinks package sell and the spa treatments sell and the specialty restaurants sell. First night at dinner (and every other night) we get the waiter trying to sell the lobster upcharge dinner. I'm enjoying the main course, spaghetti bolognese and another waiter comes to the table, " Oh sir, you like pasta, you must come to Jamie's" and tells me all about it. Now these are nice people and I don't want to be rude, I have a joke with him and say "what part of Italy is Jamie Oliver from?" After dinner the same guy gets me leaving the dining room, I said joking "are you stalking me?" I actually think he was! Another time at dinner we get the 'Galley tour' offer. I assume the salespeople are either on commission or just under the cosh to sell a quota. 

I just say a quick, "not interested" or "we're all set" when they first start talking.  If it's on the Promenade while I'm walking, I don't even break stride.  

At dinner, I do the same thing, a quick shake of the head and, "we're all set, thanks" and I go right back to my meal.  

At first it seemed rude to not listen to their whole spiel, but now I think of it the other way around -- by not letting them waste time talking to me when I know I for sure am not interested, I'm giving them more time to see more people who may actually be interested in the product being hawked.  

1 hour ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

I really hate upselling as well. I hate being mean to people and saying no so it makes me feel bad. But I REALLY hate them trying to sell me stuff after my massage. I just had a relaxing massage, it makes me tense right away and ruins it for me. 

Just write across the top of the intake form, "DO NOT TRY TO SELL ME ANY PRODUCTS -- I will ask if there's something that interests me!"

If they know ahead of time that it will bother you to be offered products, they won't intentionally annoy you.

• Like 1

35 cruises and have never been asked tp buy dining or beverage only by spa employees.  As has been posted above, I tell them in advance if they try to sell me anything, no additional tip even if they give the best massage or facial ever.  Normally purchase dining package thru cruise planner as I do not enjoy eating in MDR or buffet.

I must have the I can’t afford anything look because after 20+ cruises, I’ve had the upsell only twice. Both times in the windjammer for night 1 at Chops. Both times I said no thanks before they could get started and that was that. 

The waiter in the mdr usually mentions the up charge items while going over the menu on night 1, but it’s not really a hard sell, just letting us know it’s available.  

• Haha 1

We just got off Adventure last Sunday and did not get approached to buy anything during the entire cruise.  I had told my husband that if they offered us a good deal on a specialty restaurant, especially Chef’s table, I would buy it but we got nothing!😂😂

Sherri🙂

14 hours ago, brillohead said:

I just say a quick, "not interested" or "we're all set" when they first start talking.  If it's on the Promenade while I'm walking, I don't even break stride.  

At dinner, I do the same thing, a quick shake of the head and, "we're all set, thanks" and I go right back to my meal.  

At first it seemed rude to not listen to their whole spiel, but now I think of it the other way around -- by not letting them waste time talking to me when I know I for sure am not interested, I'm giving them more time to see more people who may actually be interested in the product being hawked.  

Ditto!