Buying wine package in advance?

siforest65

While phoning Cunard on a different matter I happened to mention buying a wine package in advance for our November cruise. I was told it is possible and quoted £436. This equates to the current $560 (12 bottle Captains selection). 

He told me that the prices were last raised in July last year. Does anyone know historically if Cunard do it every July? I’m thinking that if I do it now I will avoid a hefty price rise if they do review every July.

There was quite a big change to the packages last year, wines changed as well as prices so it's difficult to say if there will be another change this year.

The advantage of buying before sailing used to be that Cunard offered an advantageous exchange rate but the price you've quoted above doesn't sound very special.

• 1 month later...

Siforest65, you got a good deal there, inspired by your success I called up yesterday and was quoted £430 for the 12 bottle captains collection. How did you manage to get such a good price, I think I need some negotiation lessons from you!

The phone rep indicated that the package prices are plus service charge on board so it was better to buy in advance. Unless things have changed recently and the website is wrong, this was a blatant lie as the packages included the service charge. I queried this with the rep and they were adamant that wine packages are plus 15% on board. 

Anyone know the actual current situation. 

Trev. 

We've had three wine packages in the past. Not only did we get excellent exchange rates, but also did not have to pay either the 15% service charge or the Spanish IVA.

Once again, the shore staff have no idea about ship life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

We've had three wine packages in the past. Not only did we get excellent exchange rates, but also did not have to pay either the 15% service charge or the Spanish IVA.

Once again, the shore staff have no idea about ship life.

Do you know if it is possible to call and purchase a drinks package, in advance, at favourable rates?

Hello, 

Yes, you can purchase drinks packages in advance by calling the call centre. 

As to whether the rates are favourable, some seem to be quoted more favourable rates than others. 

What I was quoted yesterday equated to 1.30 usd to the pound which was reasonably good considering interbank rates were 1.275 at the time. 

You have the advantage of knowing the price you are paying in advance and locking it in. 

Of course, the pound could rise and you could end up paying more than if you waited until on board. 

Also consider that on board, you can use on board spending credit if you have any included, you can’t use on board spend when purchasing in advance. 

Give them a call with the price you are willing to pay in mind and take or reject the offer. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Trev. 

4 hours ago, Tw10101 said:

Siforest65, you got a good deal there, inspired by your success I called up yesterday and was quoted £430 for the 12 bottle captains collection. How did you manage to get such a good price, I think I need some negotiation lessons from you!

The phone rep indicated that the package prices are plus service charge on board so it was better to buy in advance. Unless things have changed recently and the website is wrong, this was a blatant lie as the packages included the service charge. I queried this with the rep and they were adamant that wine packages are plus 15% on board. 

Anyone know the actual current situation. 

Trev. 

I was surprised at the price I got quoted. I must admit I was willing to pay more as I think it’s due to go up in July. Last year it was $440 at this time on board but when we went in August to the Fjords it had undergone a price review mid July to $560.